Seaworth'sShipmate

Catholocism?

24 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

"Worshipping a zombie" is an accusation that can be flung at Christianity generally, not just Catholics.

The funny thing is, "a cult of vampirism" would actually be closer to the mark, due to the doctrine of transubstantiation. 

Oh I'm not saying that isn't an accurate interpretation of how one might view the religion. Also a little ironic given that the word "zombie" does indeed have religious connotations. In college I read a hypothetical descriptions of how aliens might describe Christianity, and it came out something like "A cult that practices ritual cannibalism while worshiping a virgin who was raped by a ghost."

Of course the point of that was to illustrate how mainstream religion can sound just as bizarre to an outsider as something like West African Vodun and "zombies" can sound to us. The comment that I initially quoted came off more as flamebait than anything else.

48 minutes ago, Jo498 said:

This could be a hen-egg-problem. (And I am not even sure if it is true; France and Belgium are nominally catholic but I'd say they are at least as "progressive" or rather more so than the US, Britain or Germany, all of which are either mostly protestant or split)

I dunno it hasn't tended to adapt to progressive trends especially quickly and holds onto a number of traditions regarding homosexuality and women and abortion in a way that many protestant strains of Christianity are willing to allow. 

Part of it I think is simply the level of power it tends to have over people. Firstly I'd suppose that Protestantism was born out of challenging the centralised power base of the church and so from that perspective it makes more sense that new idea would be embraced by a protestant religion than a catholic one. Catholicism is all about giving over power to someone else, be it a priest or the pope, and trusting that they are telling you the truth. I tend to think of being a Catholic as being an infant and the church is your parent. 

It could also be, in the case of something like the Church of England here, that its hold over people is pretty weak, so it can't afford to not adapt in case it loses more people. The irony being that its the more archaic religions that tend to do better, maybe because people like to throw away responsibility and put their trust in someone else who has all the answers. 

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Part of it I think is simply the level of power it tends to have over people. Firstly I'd suppose that Protestantism was born out of challenging the centralised power base of the church and so from that perspective it makes more sense that new idea would be embraced by a protestant religion than a catholic one. Catholicism is all about giving over power to someone else, be it a priest or the pope, and trusting that they are telling you the truth. I tend to think of being a Catholic as being an infant and the church is your parent. ...

That hierarchy is also still present in Lutheran and (high) Anglican churches. And even Calvinism tends to defer to (synods) of specialized learned groups. Christianity in the US is actually really weird and not representative for most of the world.

LGK,

You know what if folks get their rocks off by mocking others' beliefs more power to them.  I believe what I believe (I'm a tonsured reader in the Orthodox Church in America) I don't insist people believe as I do and I think it is wasted effort to get upset about mockery.  I recommend letting it go.