Catholocism?

Seaworth'sShipmate

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Part of it I think is simply the level of power it tends to have over people. Firstly I'd suppose that Protestantism was born out of challenging the centralised power base of the church and so from that perspective it makes more sense that new idea would be embraced by a protestant religion than a catholic one. Catholicism is all about giving over power to someone else, be it a priest or the pope, and trusting that they are telling you the truth. I tend to think of being a Catholic as being an infant and the church is your parent. ...

That hierarchy is also still present in Lutheran and (high) Anglican churches. And even Calvinism tends to defer to (synods) of specialized learned groups. Christianity in the US is actually really weird and not representative for most of the world.

LGK,

You know what if folks get their rocks off by mocking others' beliefs more power to them.  I believe what I believe (I'm a tonsured reader in the Orthodox Church in America) I don't insist people believe as I do and I think it is wasted effort to get upset about mockery.  I recommend letting it go.

Archived