US Politics: Ask Fox News

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I suppose it might have been playing into Russian hands to have nominated Bernie over Hillary. Seems like that might have been one of the things they were angling for, given the nature of the DNC leaks. 

True. 

My wondering is more if it had been O'Malley or anyone other than those two.  I think it quite possible Russia wanted Bernie, but certainly not Clinton.  

Now he's rambling about the 2nd amendment and just said that 250 people would have shot [HIllary] if she'd won and made a speech about it.

16 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Can you please do it? I figure this is *the* pivotal event for the West in 2017, but I have no idea about the nuances except what everyone says: That Macron will probably tie with Le Pen in first round, then win the second (provided there aren't too many instances of people pulling guns in airports and screaming shit involving Allah).

I'll no doubt do it at some point, but there's a lot to say (this is the craziest election campaign I've seen in my lifetime).

3 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

How about pursuing the "not giving us a shit candidate who is extremely unpopular" demographic?

Here's the frightening problem though, the Dems arguably didn't have anyone better. Clinton certainly had more negative baggage than just about anyone else, but if you examine the top elected Democrats you quickly realize that there aren't many good prospects. 

At least in the comments sections of the political articles I was reading, Sanders was vastly more popular than Clinton.  His supporters maintain that an utterly corrupt DNC sabotaged his campaign to promote Clinton.

That said, unless the Democratic Party finds a genuinely popular candidate, they WILL lose the 2020 campaign for POTUS. Hence, somebody like Oprah or Zuckerberg. Mondale. Gore. Hillary.  Qualified, dull as dirt candidates destined to lose. And the Democratic Party seems incapable of grasping this.

4 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Now he's rambling about the 2nd amendment and just said that 250 people would have shot [HIllary] if she'd won and made a speech about it.

I'll no doubt do it at some point, but there's a lot to say (this is the craziest election campaign I've seen in my lifetime).

Wait a sec.  The French are trying to outdo the unprecedented disaster that was the US presidential campaign...and succeeding?

Truly, the closing moments of Trump's rally speech would probably have been scary if it hadn't been so weird.

"Now, with patriotism in our hearts, let us recite these words: 'We will make America strong again ..."

(Crowd goes along.)

"We will make America safe again ..."

(Crowd is excited. They know what's coming.)

"... and WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"

Microphone audio immediately cuts. The boy choir intro for "You Can't Always Get What You Want" starts playing.

Wtf? Kind of a mixed message going on.

3 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Wait a sec.  The French are trying to outdo the unprecedented disaster that was the US presidential campaign...and succeeding?

Considering there are four (or five?) presidential candidates as opposed to two, in the US, all with their own kind of baggage, with the top two going to the second round, and the outcome of said second round entirely dependent on who these top two candidates are... yes, it's madness. German election season is exciting too, for a German election in the 21st century so far (Merkel is in more trouble than she's ever been since becoming Chancellor), but it's a case of boring sanity compared to the French clusterfuck.

18 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

At least in the comments sections of the political articles I was reading, Sanders was vastly more popular than Clinton.  His supporters maintain that an utterly corrupt DNC sabotaged his campaign to promote Clinton.

That said, unless the Democratic Party finds a genuinely popular candidate, they WILL lose the 2020 campaign for POTUS. Hence, somebody like Oprah or Zuckerberg. Mondale. Gore. Hillary.  Qualified, dull as dirt candidates destined to lose. And the Democratic Party seems incapable of grasping this.

I think a lot of unflattering words can be applied to Clinton, but I'm not sure dull is among them. She seemed to excite very strong opinions one way or the other.

39 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Im a Bernie guy but this bs is part of the problem an why wikileaks was so successful the DNC didn't give him a fair playing field but he wasn't sabotaged 

After watching the hearings today I became hopeful about some pigeons coming to roost on the White House occupants, but then Trump surrogate Jeffrey Lord came on and said he appeared on an Alabama radio show today. He was told by the host that no one is worried about 45's tweets about Obama spying on him because "we speak Americanese here, unlike the elites in Washington, and we all know exactly what the President was saying, he was saying he had been under surveillance."

Really, I despair for your country. :(

And Trump followers were interviewed at today's rally, and said, among other things, the media were making too much of a big deal over Russia and the President was doing a fine job, a mighty fine job, keeping his promises, like about immigrants, and it's not his fault the courts have blocked him, that's out of his control.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

After watching the hearings today I became hopeful about some pigeons coming to roost on the White House occupants, but then Trump surrogate Jeffrey Lord came on and said he appeared on an Alabama radio show today. He was told by the host that no one is worried about 45's tweets about Obama spying on him because "we speak Americanese here, unlike the elites in Washington, and we all know exactly what the President was saying, he was saying he had been under surveillance."

Really, I despair for your country. :(

And Trump followers were interviewed at today's rally, and said, among other things, the media were making too much of a big deal over Russia and the President was doing a fine job, a mighty fine job, keeping his promises, like about immigrants, and it's not his fault the courts have blocked him, that's out of his control.

I fing hate people like that so much being in Alabama doesn't make you more 'merican then people in DC or the two coasts. But Lord an Trumps henchmen is pulling an older than dirt trick from Watergate "no one cares about some third rate burglary they need bills to pay"

5 hours ago, Triskan said:

I'm still a bit surprised that O'Malley received so little backing in the polls.  I realize that the party establishment heavily backed Hillary, but I'd have thought that O'Malley would have done better in getting some of the support that didn't go to Bernie.  

Mudguard - Thanks for the reminder on the "update the testimony' thing.  That does help explain.  Psychology is a funny thing.  As many horrified by Trump have been, I've been lamenting Comey at times, but now that I'm hopeful he's going to harm Trump I'm seeing his actions in the Fall in a more favorable light.  So the horrible conclusion for me is that like the literature states even those aware of the cognitive biases are still victim to them, lol.

Sanders was plausible as the liberal insurgent candidate for president in that race in a way that, say Dennis Kucinich never was, at the same time that Clinton's web of connections, qualifications, sacrifices and strengths on paper made her an overwhelmingly obvious choice -- if she wanted it. The result of that was that the grassroots (with some nudging by professional activists) coalesced behind Sanders much faster than they usually do in a race and so he had all the momentum for anyone who harbored any doubts about pulling the lever for Clinton. 

It left O'Malley in the unfortunate position of being both camp's second choice, either as a generally uninspiring but generically 'okay' plan B, or as a very impressive, "That guy would be good too!" Whether or not he should have received that reception is ultimately irrelevant, people don't vote for the best available substitute.

9 hours ago, aceluby said:

What if that incompetence is actually what is saving us?  What if the agenda being pursued is just your typical GOP agenda with a gross amount of incompetence from actually getting anything done?  

Thanks for this point. This is what I was trying to point out, but you've made it much more concise and clear.

Trump cant help but get in his own way.....thats a good thing imo.

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Thanks for this point. This is what I was trying to point out, but you've made it much more concise and clear.

Trump cant help but get in his own way.....thats a good thing imo.

Until he has to make a decision that will have potentially dire consequences for the entire world. At that point this incompetence will be absolutely disastrous.

Well yeah I get that point as well, unfortunately my country rolled the dice and decided electing this idiot would be a good idea. 

I have noted that all the people at work who were gloating about thinking Trump would be so great (during the campaign) are now absolutely silent, none of them are bragging about voting for him now. It reminds me of the Iraq war cheerleaders only this has happened in a much, much, faster basis.

15 hours ago, Triskan said:

I'm still a bit surprised that O'Malley received so little backing in the polls.  I realize that the party establishment heavily backed Hillary, but I'd have thought that O'Malley would have done better in getting some of the support that didn't go to Bernie.  

Other posters have made some good points about why O'Malley's candidacy didn't go anywhere, but I'll add one more: the protests following the death of Freddie Gray. That brought out a lot of his short comings as the mayor of Baltimore, and it didn't help that it became apparent that Littlefinger's character from the wire was in part based on O'Malley. 

13 hours ago, Rippounet said:

If the French can keep their shit together it should be all right. If they don't... All bets are off the table. I've been toying with the idea of opening a thread about the French elections but the insanity of it is such that I can't bring myself to explain to other people how terrifying it has become.

Please make the thread and keep us informed. I agree with you and others that the French elections will make or break the West's trajectory for decades to come. 

Slow day...

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

No discussion yet on the SCOTUS confirmation hearing?  I heard a congressman state today that he thinks it'll only need 51 votes.  I'm gonna be pissed if Democrats cave like that.

Well get ready to be pissed then. Republicans hold all the cards and I doubt this is the hill the Democrats are going to want to die on. I suspect that Gorsuch gets 60-65 votes when all is said and done. 

22 hours ago, Ormond said:

Well, gee, given that 538 is the one poll aggregator that it seems to me did get the 2016 election right (they said Trump had about a 30% chance of winning, which given how close the election was seems very reasonable I would certainly think 38 is still well worth looking at. 

Well, golly, obviously I still think they are worth looking at or I wouldnt have linked it.

Anyway, here is an article from the same site with speculation that the uptick in his disapproval numbers may very well be from health care (Obama lost 10 points around the same time he was passing the ACA, so there is historical precedence)

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Slow day...

Well get ready to be pissed then. Republicans hold all the cards and I doubt this is the hill the Democrats are going to want to die on. I suspect that Gorsuch gets 60-65 votes when all is said and done. 

They are a bunch of cowards if this is how it goes down.  To be politically rewarded for denying a sitting president his constitutional bound duty is all kinds of messed up.

Fuck them.

Archived