US Politics: Ask Fox News

9 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Even the GOP will be forced to admit the existence of the crash when it occurs.  What interests me is their response.  Would a major disaster, created by their pet policies, be enough for them to renounce those policies? 

They'll do what they did last time.  Claim it didn't work because it wasn't conservative enough.  The tax cuts weren't big enough.  The domestic cuts didn't go deep enough.  Our military is barely scraping by.  And poor people just need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and stop being poor.

Also.... ignore Kansas.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

If Republicans wanted to give a tax cut to the rich, which is the only coherent part of the bill, they should've just done that separately.

Isn't that part two? I mean, tax cut for the wealthy with the ACA repeal and then to reward the wealthy for being so patient over the process of gutting healthcare to get them that tax break, Republicans will fix the tax code to give the wealthy another!

Most interesting comments to articles these days....

I see there's a NYT piece about the smell of treason in the air. In response to that article, a poster wondered if Comey had actually talked about Clinton to mislead the Trump crowd, that sometimes the cat has to wait silently by the rat hole for a long time.

15 hours ago, Triskan said:

Particularly because I really, really doubt that Schiff would lie about this.  Man, this is getting wild.

In fairness, he really didn't say anything.  If you watch his statement it reeks of 'plausible deniability'.

He's asked immediately after that if he's seen 'direct evidence of collusion' and he dodges the question.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on this one.

7 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

In fairness, he really didn't say anything.  If you watch his statement it reeks of 'plausible deniability'.

He's asked immediately after that if he's seen 'direct evidence of collusion' and he dodges the question.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on this one.

I think he was very clear given what he's allowed to say. When asked by Chuck Todd if this was circumstantial evidence, he said no, it was more than that. He was very clear that this wasn't the same stuff he was talking about on Sunday when he was clear that he has seen a lot of circumstantial evidence of collusion.

8 minutes ago, Crazydog7 said:

Well my mad as a hatter Republican uncle told me that "Republicans surround themselves with excellence"  it must be a different definition of "excellence" then the one I am typically familiar with. 

They do; Democrats are often around Republicans

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I think he was very clear given what he's allowed to say. When asked by Chuck Todd if this was circumstantial evidence, he said no, it was more than that. He was very clear that this wasn't the same stuff he was talking about on Sunday when he was clear that he has seen a lot of circumstantial evidence of collusion.

Combine that to Nunes' reaction to whatever this information was, and I think there's something pretty solid there. Whether or not we'll actually get an Independent Investigation into this is probably where we shouldn't get our hopes up too high.   

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

We'll find out I guess.  I think you're reading into it what you want to see.

i would wager a non insignificant amount of money that he's talking about the kind of stuff similar to stuff we already know, like this from his speech on Monday:

In early July, Carter Page, someone candidate Trump identified as one of his national security advisors, travels to Moscow on a trip approved by the Trump campaign. While in Moscow, he gives a speech critical of the United States and other western countries for what he believes is a hypocritical focus on democratization and efforts to fight corruption.

It's that last part of the interview that doesn't pass the sniff test for me where he's asked directly 'Have you seen direct evidence' and he basically dodges by saying 'i can't get into specifics'.  Uh, no on asked you to get into specifics.  if you've seen direct evidence, why not just say so?  You already implied it, why the hedge?  I think if there really was a smoking gun, he would just answer that question.

Which leads to the question, if it's not direct evidence, and it's not circumstantial evidence, what kind of evidence is it?

Either way, there's nothing to do now but wait and see.

Just now, Maithanet said:

It is amazing that Republicans can be so incredibly good at some elements of politics, and so staggeringly bad at other parts. 

In this case the Freedom Caucus is right on the money. They got elected on a promise to repeal the ACA - not some parts, not bits, but the whole damn thing. That is their political identity, and they face real pressure from being primaried if they do not.  They are sticking together and punching way above their weight.

That being said, they wouldn't have this power at all if congress was sane and they actually tried to reach a bipartisan compromise. There are almost surely far more moderate democrats than there are freedom caucusers. 

-Kirk, old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb, "Revenge is a dish best served cold"

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/23/14991332/gop-health-bill-ahca-trump-iraq

If it passes, the American Health Care Act will be Donald Trump and Paul Ryan's Iraq War. It's been sold with lies. It's been pushed forward with a shock-and-awe legislative strategy. And its architects are woefully unprepared for the chaos it would unleash upon passage.

The Republican Party muck something up! No way man! Now who could forget the awesome brilliant planning of Field Marshall Dubya Bush? It's the party of excellence!!!!

Or maybe you just remember this.

It is not the viewpoint elected Republicans are selling. Instead, their rhetoric fits the sort of plan that Sen. Bernie Sanders might offer. Donald Trump won the 2016 election promising to protect Medicaid from cuts and ensure coverage for all. After the election, he reiterated the vow, telling the Washington Post “we’re going to have insurance for everybody” with “much lower deductibles.”

At about the same time, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell went on Face the Nation to lament that under Obamacare, 25 million people remained uninsured, and many of those who did get coverage were in plans where the “deductibles are so high that it’s really not worth much to them.”

The Republican Party saying one thing, but actually believing another? Well, golly, that almost makes it sound like the Republicans are being dishonest! I’m shocked at this allegation! Shocked I tells ya!

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Isn't that part two? I mean, tax cut for the wealthy with the ACA repeal and then to reward the wealthy for being so patient over the process of gutting healthcare to get them that tax break, Republicans will fix the tax code to give the wealthy another!

Sure. But they could also just give the wealthy a tax cut, and then reform the tax code to give them another. No need to actually involve health care in all this. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

In this case the Freedom Caucus is right on the money. They got elected on a promise to repeal the ACA - not some parts, not bits, but the whole damn thing. That is their political identity, and they face real pressure from being primaried if they do not.  They are sticking together and punching way above their weight.

That being said, they wouldn't have this power at all if congress was sane and they actually tried to reach a bipartisan compromise. There are almost surely far more moderate democrats than there are freedom caucusers. 

Justin Amash was also correct on the policy part though, that if you get rid of EHB provisions but keep community ratings you're gonna to make an absolute nightmare in the insurance market. Its not clear health insurance as the concept we currently understand would even exist in that regulatory structure. You really need to either keep both or get rid of both. The AHCA as of yesterday kept both, the Freedom Caucus wants to get rid of both; last night Trump/Ryan offered to get rid of just the EHBs.

23 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

But if Republicans are going to campaign on repealing Obamacare (which they did), they need to know not to release a health care bill that doesn't actually repeal Obamacare, and that the far right cannot support.  If Ryan came out with the Freedom Caucus dream health care bill, it can't be used for reconciliation, but then at least you can blame Democrats for filibustering your Health Care Miracle.  "If only we had 60 seats in the Senate, we could MAGA!"  As it stands?  This is going to be really really hard to spin as anything but a complete failure by Republicans. The signature Republican campaign promise is about to get torpedoed by Republicans!  Gonna be tough to sell your constituents on that one. 

Archived