US Politics: Ask Fox News

7 minutes ago, Commodore said:

best way to lower premiums is to eliminate regulations that are the cause

namely, Guaranteed Issue, Community Rating, Medical Loss Ratio, and Essential Benefits

You could also think of healthcare as a right essential to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Remove "over 65" from Medicare's requirements and just have a single-payer system like the rest of the developed world.

2 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Have you considered why maternity coverage as an essential insurance benefit might (and has) result in higher premiums?

Sure, but it's a cost that is worth paying. You're talking about the health of fucking infants here, not to mention the health of the mother. If that's not essential, I'm not sure what is.

2 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Why would it be worth paying for such coverage if you don't plan on having children?

Same reason I'd pay taxes to support public schools regardless of whether or not I had children. Because we are a community. Because I'm interested in the welfare of children. It's only fucking human.

Just now, Commodore said:

best way to lower premiums is to eliminate regulations that are the cause

namely, Guaranteed Issue, Community Rating, Medical Loss Ratio, and Essential Benefits

Spewing fucking idiotic libertarian nonsense it would seem, again.

It's not much of a trick to lower premiums by excluding people from healthcare or giving them shitty healthcare. That's not impressive. What would be impressive is by expanding coverage to everyone and improving access, while getting cost down. And that is doable.

I'm sure you'll justify your arguments on the ground of "economics man".

But, you know what is funny about his situation: Just about a week ago: Kenneth Arrow died. And he's the guy that proved mathematically Leon Walras' assertion about prices clearing markets, which you know, should be a cause for a libertarian wank fest. And even he didn't think the free market was appropriate for healthcare.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Same reason I'd pay taxes to support public schools regardless of whether or not I had children. Because we are a community. Because I'm interested in the welfare of children. It's only fucking human.

Even accepting this premise, insurance (a hedge against uncertain events) is not the appropriate vehicle. And neither is the federal government. 

It should be at the state level, or through private charity. 

lot of people here seem to think adding "fucking" to every post adds weight, when it comes off more as compensating for something

Even accepting this premise, insurance (a hedge against uncertain events) is not the appropriate vehicle. And neither is the federal government. 

No that's just your libertarian opinion. And some people might think libertarians are just generally full of it.

Don't care who provides it. It has to be provided if you want to consider yourself a civilized society. 

9 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Why would it be worth paying for such coverage if you don't plan on having children?

1. You were someone's child once.
  2. You'll be living off of the backs of other people's children after you've stopped contributing to society yourself.

10 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Well, setting aside my reasons (I'm not a US citizen after all), one might imagine that a party so insistent on reducing immigration and increasing the native birth rate could perhaps do something to help people have healthy children?

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Don't care who provides it. It has to be provided if you want to consider yourself a civilized society. 

@Commodore stupid approach to health insurance is the exact reason the Republican Party can't put together a healthcare bill which delivers on their big promises.

When all you can do is sit around and say, "Free Market" and don't do any hard thinking about where said Free Markets might work and where they might not, let's not be surprised when you come up with utter garbage.

And this also the reason they can't do financial regulation without botching it. And this is why they can't do post financial crises management without fucking it up. The list goes on and on.

43 minutes ago, Commodore said:

You're using a painfully narrow definition of 'uncertain events' here.

Consider if you would that a pregnancy is ripe with the potential for 'uncertain events', and then let's all move on, shall we?  Not every pregnancy is alike, after all.

I'm not planning on having cancer, either.

49 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Fuck yes it is worth it to me, a woman who hasn't and will not have a baby.  However, I want my kin and their children to have maternity care, not just because they're kin, but it's ethical, humane and just right.  Plus, even for those who don't plan for children, they sometimes (many times really) have children anyway.

Jesus, this is just stupid.

1 minute ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Fuck yes it is worth it to me, a woman who hasn't and will not have a baby.  However, I want my kin and their children to have maternity care, not just because they're kin, but it's ethical, humane and just right.  Plus, even for those who don't plan for children, they sometimes (many times really) have children anyway.

Jesus, this is just stupid.

Beyond that, it is inhumane.

43 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

So, would a private charity work for my car insurance then?  'cuz I'm tired of paying it and being a safe driver and not having any wrecks carrying all those bad drivers.   sucks!    /eye*fukin*roll

11 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

You're using a painfully narrow definition of 'uncertain events' here.

Consider if you would that a pregnancy is ripe with the potential for 'uncertain events', and then let's all move on, shall we?  Not every pregnancy is alike, after all.

If you want to be covered for something that may be desirable to make happen and that you have direct control over, a premium commensurate with that reality would be relatively high.

And surprise, when you make that benefit mandatory (regardless of whether you personally need/want it), premiums go up. 

50 minutes ago, Commodore said:

lot of people here seem to think adding "fucking" to every post adds weight, when it comes off more as compensating for something

actually you're wrong

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

You could also think of healthcare as a right essential to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Remove "over 65" from Medicare's requirements and just have a single-payer system like the rest of the developed world.

That definitely lowers premiums. Because insurance companies then have to compete with "free healthcare" rather than just compete with each other.

When having no insurance is an actual positive option for everyone, then insurance companies have to actually try to convince you to buy insurance, and a lot of what will convince someone to buy insurance is reasonable and affordable price.

Archived