US Politics: Ask Fox News

Trumpcare loses out to golf.   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahah. The great deal-maker manly man turns out to be the beta male to the Freedom caucaus. His main negotiating tactic was to constantly give in to them. They now run the House. 

The plan now is likely tax cuts and more tax cuts. And perhaps to try to sink Obamacare with executive regulations via Price.

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The threat to leave the table has always been a classic negotiating tactic. The midnight oil will burn in Washington tonight!

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That's been part of 1-day introduction to negotiating seminars since such seminars were first created. Interestingly, in the recommended reading list these seminars provide 'Art of the Deal' is not on the list.

Yeah but I'd say the deal left him.  

12 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That's been part of 1-day introduction to negotiating seminars since such seminars were first created. Interestingly, in the recommended reading list these seminars provide 'Art of the Deal' is not on the list.

Hey, I didn't say he invented it, I'm just saying that's a business tactic he talked about. :P

What may be significant news - someone on a CNN panel just got a message from someone in Congress that the head of the Freedom Caucus has told members of their group to 'vote their conscience'....

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Hey, I didn't say he invented it, I'm just saying that's a business tactic he talked about. :P

What may be significant news - someone on a CNN panel just got a message from someone in Congress that the head of the Freedom Caucus has told members of their group to 'vote their conscience'....

I wonder how much the Koch brothers are willing to pay for a conscience these days?

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

So I guess that is giving permission for members of that faction to vote for the bill, and thus give it the numbers to pass, in the House at least. Did Trump just Trump them with his walk away threat?

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So I guess that is giving permission for members of that faction to vote for the bill, and thus give it the numbers to pass, in the House at least. Did Trump just Trump them with his walk away threat?

If they vote yes in the morning, there will be massive protests all over by the afternoon, I would think.  hmmm, I don't have a pink cap, guess my good brown felt one will have to.   :commie:

27 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Alternatively, Meadows  (I assume that's who sent the message) is going to vote yes, but doesn't want to force the others to if they don't want to.

Meanwhile, there are at least 16 non-freedom caucus members who have publicly said they are no votes on the bill. If they are no others, it'd only take 8 of the HFC to block the bill. There are around 40 of them.

The bill could pass tomorrow, things are chaotic and unpredictable. I suspect it doesn't; still not convinced a vote actually happens.

Dana Bash, the CNN correspondent who has been talking to someone in the White House, is now reporting that she has been told that the WH thinks the Speaker did not work hard enough to bring all members on board to support the bill.

Ryan is about to be thrown under the bus.

“If anything, we have made it more reasonable in our requests, not more unreasonable,” Meadows said.

I don’t know about that. For most of this week, members had been emphasizing that essential health benefits were the key to their votes. Today their message is that eliminating essential health benefits alone makes the system more dysfunctional, and you need to take down the rest of the system to create a functional market. As has been so frustratingly true with the Freedom Caucus throughout the process, each new gripe is both ideologically coherent and excruciatingly poor politics. Remove the protections for those with pre-existing conditions, and Ryan may lock up the Freedom Caucus’ elusive votes. He just wouldn’t get any others.

Paul Ryan Unleashed Hell on Himself

His compromises on Trumpcare are making it harder, not easier, to pass.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/03/paul_ryan_unleashed_hell_on_himself_by_compromising_with_conservatives_on.html

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Dana Bash, the CNN correspondent who has been talking to someone in the White House, is now reporting that she has been told that the WH thinks the Speaker did not work hard enough to bring all members on board to support the bill.

To be fair, he's earned it. Near as I can tell, this is mostly his shit plan. Own it, Pauly.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

He, and his party whips, certainly failed to strong arm people into line. That is their core function when it comes to shepherding legislation through the house. 

I have no idea what the Pope said to John Boehner to get him to resign, but I bet Boehner is praising him to the Lord above every single day. Maybe the Pope prophesied that Trump would win.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Paul Ryan Unleashed Hell on Himself

His compromises on Trumpcare are making it harder, not easier, to pass.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/03/paul_ryan_unleashed_hell_on_himself_by_compromising_with_conservatives_on.html

Perhaps he thought he could thread a needle, give the ultra-cons enough to bring them on board, but keep enough in for those with something resembling a heartbeat to stay in the yes camp.

Despite any inaccuracy in the CBO assessment about 24 million losing their insurance, as soon as that number hit the streets the plan was screwed, especially when juxtaposed with Trump's assurance that "we're going to look after everyone."

I think it would be hilarious to see Ryan get primaried from the right over this, but I would be honestly terrified to see what would end up replacing him. Only thing that I can imagine would be a fully sentient copy of Atlas Shrugged.

Another insane part of this raving mad bill is that if it passed you could have a bunch of poor people being put into insurance without hospitalization and emergency room services covered, because they can't afford anything else. As a result the Congress would create again the problem where people don't pay the emergency room bills and the hospitals get stuck with the cost.  This is a real pants on the head moment for Ryan and Trump. I guess it lets them move on from Obamacare repeal though if the vote fails?

There’s simply no reason to be doing this. At best, House members will be taking a politically tough vote for an unpopular bill that doesn’t become law. At worst, it will somehow actually become law, and members will find themselves accountable for the catastrophic consequences they haven’t even bothered to try to understand. All out of misguided loyalty to a president who never supported these ideas and doesn’t appear to have any interest in the content of the legislation.

The Republican health care plan is totally nuts
A pointless, reckless rush to vote on a bad, unpopular, doomed bill.

http://www.vox.com/2017/3/23/15044354/ahca-plan-friday-vote

Archived