Stannis is the man....nis

US Politics: Ask Fox News

403 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Leap said:
1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

Possible Comey hearing outcomes, from best to worst:

Best-case scenario:
COMEY: "We have just concluded a thorough investigation into the president's ties to Russia. (Stands up, long FBI coat swirling.) NOW SEIZE THAT MAN!" [Pulls off mask to reveal Barack Obama] 

FTFY.

:owned:

DJT owned by BHO!!!!   

Awesome sauce.

12 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Holy smokes, this idiot was a teacher?  We're doomed I tells ya, doomed.

You know, there is a reason that many of us in academia make fun of or look down on Education classes. Traditionally they have been both among the easier, more boring, and least backed up by evidence parts of a college curriculum.

And people who end up teaching elementary school have usually majored in Education. High school teachers more likely majored in the subject they teach and effectively minored in Education.

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if elementary school teachers on the average were less adept at critical thinking than the average college graduate.

Jesus, we're back to the subjective interpretation of polls again. While Gallup sees Trump at his lowest ever, Rasmussen sees him continually improving and almost at 50/50. Either there's a ridiculous difference between anonymous responders (Gallup) and people who voted last time (Rasmussen), or we just have to stop looking at polls altogether.

Posted (edited)

Just now, denstorebog said:

Jesus, we're back to the subjective interpretation of polls again. While Gallup sees Trump at his lowest ever, Rasmussen sees him continually improving and almost at 50/50. Either there's a ridiculous difference between anonymous responders (Gallup) and people who voted last time (Rasmussen), or we just have to stop looking at polls altogether.

A couple of thoughts here:

1. Sometimes looking at trends is perhaps more important than just looking at the raw numbers. I would note on the Ramussen Poll, Trump had a 56% approval rating on Jan 20. He now has about 49%. That's a seven point drop. Under Gallup, it looks like he started with an approval rating of about 45% and now has about a 37% approval rating. That's an 8 point drop.

2. I don't think it's crazy to think that people who voted last time might have a higher opinion of Trump than people who didn't vote ,on average. And we know, I believe, that lots of people didn't vote. Of course, why they didn't vote, and then complain about Trump is a mystery to me.

Edited by OldGimletEye

21 hours ago, denstorebog said:

If we're going to be able to focus on the actual issues instead of misdirection and self-promotion, we need to be a lot better at differentiating between what Trump says because he genuinely believes it, and what he says because it makes him look good to the degenerates.

I think this is a mistake.  He's a narcissist.  If he thinks something will make him look good to his voters, he's gonna own the shit out of it.... until it doesn't at which point he will change.  But when he's for it, he's for it 100%.  There are numerous examples of this.  We should take everything from his mouth as if it's literal, because it is.... until it isn't.  And the only way to make him walk back his crazy talk is to keep reacting as if everything he says he genuinely believes.  Because he does.

The hearings this morning.

My, my, my, the Republicans really want to nail leakers. They want to make sure a Michael Flynn never gets outed again, so a Trump can keep him on his staff. Representative Trey Gowdy (R) really pounded Comey on the fact of the leak of Flynn's name.

Gowdy seemed almost angry at Comey, to be honest. Raised his voice several times in his questions. 

35 minutes ago, Leap said:

Gowdy seemed almost angry at Comey, to be honest. Raised his voice several times in his questions. 

Sure, he wanted Comey to say, "Fuck yah! We're hunting that weasel down and we will bring his body to you for drawing and quartering".

3 hours ago, denstorebog said:

I know its probably not en vogue to look at poll aggregators any more, but according to 538 Trump has about a 43/52 rating. There has been a slight, measurable uptick in his disapproval numbers recently, probably all emanating from healthcare reform.

Was hoping to get more out of this hearing but clearly they can't say anything that interesting at this point. Maybe we'll never know.

Either way when you add up all those events regarding the Russians outlined at the start  it seems very suspicious 

So...when will Pence take over?

45 minutes ago, Notone said:

So...when will Pence take over?

Better salesman, same snake-oil.

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Slightly different snake oil. Pence is for the bread-and-butter conservatism, where women can't have abortions, gays are seen as icky, and we allocate resources to businesses. That's different from Trump's brand of ideology, which is that Trump is the Greatest, he always wins, and brown people are icky. 

2 hours ago, Leap said:

Gowdy is the worst. He inadvertently leaked a CIA member's name, doesn't give two shits about the FBI leaks that happened during the Hillary email investigation and his committee was a sieve during the Benghazi investigation. I cannot stand him.

1 minute ago, TerraPrime said:

Slightly different snake oil. Pence is for the bread-and-butter conservatism, where women can't have abortions, gays are seen as icky, and we allocate resources to businesses. That's different from Trump's brand of ideology, which is that Trump is the Greatest, he always wins, and brown people are icky. 

At least you can take the Personal Nuclear Holocaust threat off the table though with Pence. I think our position would improve by an order of magnitude under Pence, despite the Religious nonsense.

9 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I agree on the snake-oil part. But Trump was able to sell that stuff, while the Pence Dispenser didn't make that sale. And I guess there wouldn't be the same fools Russian around under him. He looks more pro-Nato anti-Russia, than orange dipshit.

Lol, Sean Spicer has just said 45 is ....I don't know what to call it. Trump doubled down on Obama spying on him, then tripled down, then ...quadrupled down?  He's quintupling down, sextupling down?  He was just asked if Trump would now apologize for his comments, and Spicer said Comey said "There is no evidence of surveillance on Trump at the moment".

I don't recall he said 'at the moment'? Did he say 'at the moment'?

And Trump is attacking Comey for refusing to say what his discussions with Obama were, the suggestion being, I think, that Obama himself was the leaker of the Flynn information.

And the disgusting thing is, Spicer than continues on to say every single person involved in investigating Russian contacts have found nothing and it's time to stop talking about it because it's untrue. This after 16 or 17 US security services have said Trump was not 'wiretapped'.

3 minutes ago, Notone said:

I agree on the snake-oil part. But Trump was able to sell that stuff, while the Pence Dispenser didn't make that sale. And I guess there wouldn't be the same fools Russian around under him. He looks more pro-Nato anti-Russia, than orange dipshit.

Pence can sell it too. He recently gave a speech that was better than any speech Trump has ever given in his life. Therefore, I suspect he won't be giving any more speeches for some time to come. :P

I am going to make a BOLD prediction now, after having heard Sean Spicer going on about Obama spying on Trump.

The book WILL NEVER CLOSE ON THE MATTER.

This will be Trump's Neverending Story. As long as he lives, Obama will have spied on him.

As for Prez Orange Thingy doubling down, tripling down, whatever, it's called 'chasing your bets'.  

One keeps losing but keeps betting because 1. a bigger bet could win it all back (possible, but the odds very high) or 2. One keeps playing because one wants to stay in the game. 

I will say that Prez Orange Thingy thinks he's playing for #1, but really #2 is what's really happening.