Johnny Begone. Chuck Berry died.

maarsen

I heard on the radio last night that Chuck Berry died. He was 90 years old so not unexpected but a large part of my childhood is now gone. He set the mould for all the rock'n'roll stars that followed him. 

So great that he was able to make it 90 long years, a lot of people that live the touring lifestyle have trouble keeping up their health. My fave Chuck Berry song was always the "Ding-a-Ling" song, especially the live show versions where he was so gifted at getting the whole crowd chorus-ing along.

I was born in St Louis, and he seemed like he would be playing shows at Blueberry Hill until the end of days. My folks just saw him a couple years back and said he was still terrific. One of my cousins, unbeknownst to me, must have been an enormous fan. She is beside herself on social media, more than most fans reacting to a tragic death. He was such a beloved person in the city that I suppose it makes some sense.

On 3/19/2017 at 9:00 AM, Leap said:

RIP. Back to the Future was one of those films that I saw as a kid that resulted in me learning to love a whole new kind of music. I was surprised when I heard Chuck Berry was still touring until fairly recently, but I knew I'd never get the chance to go see him.

Marvin Berry and the Starlighters > Chuck

He didn't seem like the greatest guy around, but was easily one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.

Anytime I heard one of his songs it would put me in a better mood. Not sure how many musicians spread joy better than he did.

Archived