Thank you Board hive mind. - Pyjamas work.

Pebble thats Stubby

Since I moved from my previous address I've had no crime related incidents of other excitement well until this morning.

Hubby got up early and left me in Bed,  He was going out to watch his friend race.  He faffed around a bit as he loaded up the car, but once he'd left I went back to sleep.

about an hour after (although I was not sure then what the time was)  I was woken from my sleep by strange noises.  some soft thunks as things where knocked or picked up and put down.   I knew someone was in the house.

In fact they where not just in the house they where just outside my bedroom door.

I slunk down and hid between the bed and the window in the hope that if they do come in they would not see me. 

I waited here what felt like an hour but really could only have been a few mins, I could still here them, and then the door moved.  I am now almost crapping myself.  They where coming in, but they must of changed their minds cos the door only opened a fraction.  then after a few mins I heard them in the next room.

That was my chance, I grabbed an impromptu weapon and ran as fast as I could out of the room, down the stairs and to the front door.  Fuck its still locked, as I fumble for the key I'm certain that they will be on to me any second.  They must of heard me, but somehow I make it out of the house.

My neighbour is outside, about to go shopping. but sees my panic and we go in her house and call the police.

It wasn't long before the police arrive, and we think they are still in the house as we have not seen anyone leave.   for some reason I'm certain its a they and not a singular individual. 

Well the Police go in my house and do manage to successfully apprehend the intruder.  It was Elvis by neighbours furry cat.   Yep, a sodding cat.

After calming my nerves and actually taking in my surroundings, I was a silent thank you to  the board for my nightwear.  Then I wonder just how much use a plastic lightsaber really would have been if I had needed to use it in self defence.

I'm so confused by this post.  Did the board force you to start wearing pajamas?  Why did you need a key to get out of your home?

I wish I could wear clothes to bed.  I've tried but I just toss and turn and get everything all twisted up.  I'm certain that one day my house will be on fire and I'll have to stand outside watching it while naked.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm so confused by this post.  Did the board force you to start wearing pajamas?  Why did you need a key to get out of your home?

I wish I could wear clothes to bed.  I've tried but I just toss and turn and get everything all twisted up.  I'm certain that one day my house will be on fire and I'll have to stand outside watching it while naked.  

Presumably Mr. Pebbles locked the door after he went out. 

I'm glad it was just a cat Pebs, and that you managed to preserve your modesty :P Shame you didn't get to demonstrate your lightsaber skills :lol: 

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

Presumably Mr. Pebbles locked the door after he went out. 

Sure, I figured the person who left the house locked the door, but needing a key from the inside?  That's strange.  And dangerous.  Fire breaks out and you have to fumble around looking for a key to get out of your house.  Time to either leave a key in the door if the lock is that outdated and dangerous, or I guess change the lock completely.  

Just now, Dr. Pepper said:

Sure, I figured the person who left the house locked the door, but needing a key from the inside?  That's strange.  And dangerous.  Fire breaks out and you have to fumble around looking for a key to get out of your house.  Time to either leave a key in the door if the lock is that outdated and dangerous, or I guess change the lock completely.  

Most houses I've been in require a key to unlock from the inside. Maybe that a difference between UK and US. 

Leaving the key in the lock is ok if you are both in the house, but for example my parents worked different shifts so my dad would come in early hours of the morning. If we left the key in the lock he couldn't get back in.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

An apartment I rented after college had a dead bolt that required a key to open and close it on the inside and the outside.  One morning after my roommate left for work I couldn't find my keys.  I was trapped inside the apartment.  It was disconcerting.

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Due to past several incidents in my last address and my habit of charging out completely naked the board very strongly advised me to wear pj's.

Our front door does not lock if you don't use a key.   anyone can get in by just using the handle.   Also I do shift work, which often means either husband or myself is in bed when the other comes home.  leaving the key in the lock means they can't get in even with a key.   We keep a key in the pot by the front door.  You can't see the key from the outside so is not a target for thieves to try and fish the key out through the letterbox.    It normally takes seconds to grab the key and unlock the door.  If we are both in then we often leave a key in the lock.   (we actually have 2 keys in that pot just in case we move one for some reason)

Also a lot of PVC doors don't fully lock unless you use a key to double lock them.  thieves can use a screw driver to pop the door out of the plastic frame.   the security bolts top and bottom don't lock unless you turn a key.   With our door they don't even need a screw driver.

50 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

An apartment I rented after college had a dead bolt that required a key to open and close it on the inside and the outside.  One morning after my roommate left for work I couldn't find my keys.  I was trapped inside the apartment.  It was disconcerting.

See!  Dangerous!  What if there had been a fire?  Or a thief that wasn't a cat?

I had a deadbolt once that required a key in both sides, but you could definitely keep the key in on the inside without it being a problem for the outside.  Nevertheless, we changed that shit out fast for an updated and safer deadbolt.  

Its not really an option to just change the lock without also changing the locking mechanism (or you end up with it locking the exact same way)  and in this circumstance that would mean changing the entire door and frame. and probably they windows either side as well.

This is quiet standard in the uk,  and with the key next to the lock in the pot grabbing the key and turning that really takes no longer than reaching up and sliding deadbolt at the top of the door then reaching down and sliding the other one.   Our method is approved by the fire department, as we have a dedicated key kept right next to the door.

And yes it could have been a real human intruder, although I think then they probably would have defeated the door lock somehow which would have meant I had an escape route and not needed a key.   Also if they where the type to bash me, I'm such a slow runner even if I got out of the house unimpeded they would catch me easily.  They would also I think normally be happy to let me go so they can make their own escape.  

Its really not as dangerous as you seem to feel, if you are aware and have planned for it.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Most houses I've been in require a key to unlock from the inside. Maybe that a difference between UK and US. 

Leaving the key in the lock is ok if you are both in the house, but for example my parents worked different shifts so my dad would come in early hours of the morning. If we left the key in the lock he couldn't get back in.

Yep I've been locked in before because my mum has locked the door and forgot I was in the house sleeping LMAO 

1 hour ago, Pebble said:

Its really not as dangerous as you seem to feel, if you are aware and have planned for it.

What if there's an earthquake that knocks the pot over and the key gets lost? Not a big risk in the UK? :)

16 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

In Slovenia, most houses and flats are like that too, the handle is the same from the inside and the outside. If you do not lock from the inside, anybody can just open from the outside and get in. But where I live now, the door cannot be opened from the outside. I still kept locking it from the inside in the beginning because it made me feel safer.

My landlady has (had) a habit to leave the keys in the lock too before I moved in, it happened several times that she forgot to take it out and I could not get in. Once she went to sleep like that and I was stuck there for some creepy minutes ... she does not hear the buzzing in her bedroom.

Pebble, thanks for the funny story, glad everybody is okay, good that you wore a pyjama! :P

On March 19, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Constitutional issue?

pebble: :D:D:D

We have a brand new flat and require a key to lock it from the inside. The door can't be open from the outside if it's not locked because the handle doesn't turn, but a thief would easily open it using a credit card or some such (checked by a neighbour who locked himself out). So we lock the door with a key and hang the key on the coat hanger. We could change the locks but since the key opens everything else in the building (entry hall, cellar, laundry, garage, bin)  it would be kinda stupid. Not to mention terribly expensive.

So glad you're OK, Peb!!! :grouphug: That must have been really frightening while it was happening.

Still, yet another potentially sexual-predatory, four legged, miscreant (thankfully this time, it was only a cat) enters the engaging mythos that is Pebble. And for this we give thanks. :lol:  

Archived