Just how important is Mance?

np1234

49 minutes ago, cgrav said:

There's a lot of procreative symbolism.  Bloody swords, moonblood, spears... anything that can be interpreted as sex and procreation probably should be. Between the super weird romantic/sexual relationships and the mythological character archetypes, these books are like Freud and Jung had a kid.

For sure, I certainly would agree with that.

Not challenging you here, I'm genuinely curious, would you mind clueing me into the "eggy" references you alluded to? I'm not so sure I've picked up on that.

23 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

For sure, I certainly would agree with that.

Not challenging you here, I'm genuinely curious, would you mind clueing me into the "eggy" references you alluded to? I'm not so sure I've picked up on that.

Hard to copy/paste the exact quotes at the DMV, but I'll cite chapters...

In Clash Bran VII, he refers to the First Keep and Mother's Sept as shells.

In Dance Jon VII, he says of Winterfell, "The castle is a shell".

In Dance Turncloak Theon also thinks of the first Keep as a shell.

There are many other such metaphors referring to other dwellings in different POVs. 

@Orphalesion there is actually a semi-credible theory that Gollum killed Frodo's parents while tracking down the Ring. 

50 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Slow your roll puffy bouffant girl. Bloodraven is safe in his hidey hole defending the realm.

Thank the gods... err... thank Bloodraven that Bloodraven is safe??? Now I'm confused:idea:

hahaa

11 minutes ago, cgrav said:

Hard to copy/paste the exact quotes at the DMV, but I'll cite chapters...

In Clash Bran VII, he refers to the First Keep and Mother's Sept as shells.

In Dance Jon VII, he says of Winterfell, "The castle is a shell".

In Dance Turncloak Theon also thinks of the first Keep as a shell.

There are many other such metaphors referring to other dwellings in different POVs. 

@Orphalesion there is actually a semi-credible theory that Gollum killed Frodo's parents while tracking down the Ring. 

Ok, thanks. I'll be sure to have a look at those when I get home tonight.

It'll probably be obvious in hindsight, but these things tend to get past me like a crafty sperm would get by a twenty year old condom one forgot about in their wallet.  :huh:

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Well, let's see.

He was the leader of approximately 0.25% of the continent's population. That's how important he was.

Roughly equal to Maege Mormont, Gallbart Glover or Helman Tallhart, in that context, who each ruled similar numbers of people to Mance Rayder at the start of the series.

A cracking bit of Ice and Fire related patter, good form!

If Jon ever becomes King In The Post Long Night North, their would be few more suited to be his Hand than Mance. 

I'd like to invite everyone on this thread to take a look at my updated Mance theory, when I get it posted. It's probably going to be Advanced Crackpottery 6.

@The Fattest Leech, at the absolute bare minimum, Mance is working with Bloodraven. Too much imagery and symbolism shared for it to be a coincidence.

24 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I'd like to invite everyone on this thread to take a look at my updated Mance theory, when I get it posted. It's probably going to be Advanced Crackpottery 6.

@The Fattest Leech, at the absolute bare minimum, Mance is working with Bloodraven. Too much imagery and symbolism shared for it to be a coincidence.

Ok, thanks. That is what I thought, but I was not sure of it was "new" info either. Now that I have a minute (and a pint of Starsky & Dutch double dutch chocolate stout in my hands), I can catch up with things more thoroughly. :cheers:

Archived