Video Games: Dawn of Waaaaagh!

Werthead

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Also, at what point can you actually add the various shit you pick up to your gear? 

You have to change gear at a loadout interface, which practically speaking means on your ship or at a Forward Station (essentially like the camps in DA:I). 

This is a gripe for me.  I really don't understand the point of not being able to switch gear while out in the world.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I find the combat in Andromeda quite challenging right now. The absence of the command hud and the detailed environment (at least on that first planet) makes me feel like I'm fighting alone every time. I hear the voices of the NPCs, but there is way too much stuff to track. I also prefer the cover system in ME2 and 3, rather than this intuitive cover system.

Also, at what point can you actually add the various shit you pick up to your gear? 

From playing the trial, I found the combat on Hab 7 to be punishingly hard compared to the later ones.  Getting more than a single power helps a ton, especially when that power is Charge.  Basically, get off the intro planet and see how you feel about it.  

I'm not sure how "challenging combat" can be a criticism, unless by challenging people mean mechanically inferior compared to other games with a similar combat style, or normal enemies are bullet sponges whereas Ryder and squad mates die to one or two shots from normal enemies.

My default attitude is that I'm not all that good, so challenging combat is my fault, not the game's fault, unless there is something obviously broken or stupid about the game, like DA2's multiple enemy waves.

Testing out the new PC with Just Cause 3. Whacked everything up to maximum and the new machine handled it so well it didn't even switch on the extra fans (which only kick in when the GPU produces extra heat). Impressive.

What's the latest on the PC version of Dishonored 2? It is fixed and playable yet? Online sources seem to disagree whether it's playable or still problematic.

20 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Testing out the new PC with Just Cause 3. Whacked everything up to maximum and the new machine handled it so well it didn't even switch on the extra fans (which only kick in when the GPU produces extra heat). Impressive.

What's the latest on the PC version of Dishonored 2? It is fixed and playable yet? Online sources seem to disagree whether it's playable or still problematic.

Per my daughter it's still pretty hosed, especially for better PCs. 

On 3/22/2017 at 1:31 PM, Rhom said:

I had a good discussion on this with my ME2 replay.  I was going Renegade and decided to say "F@&$ it... I'm getting Legion now." Got him right after Haestrom, but wish I had gotten him before that.  Took him on every mission in the last half of the game.  Dr. Chakwas was very judgemental of me.  You'd think she would just be grateful to have been rescued... but noooooo it's all "I watched everyone turned into goo while you took your sweet time!!!"

Made it really hard when I decided at the last second that I couldn't let Legion download the Reaper code to the Geth.  Put three bullets in him.  Hitting that Renegade action button was not easy. :crying: 

I might have done that on my first playthrough (on accident, because I didn't know about the suicide mission)--and it was just so much more fun having Legion everywhere with you.

You killed him!? I wouldn't play through that part until I found a way to let the Geth become complete and convince Tali not to off herself.

I'm not used to combat enough to say for sure, but the impression I had is that they want you shooting from cover less than in previous games. Once adjusted the auto cover system may be better than the manual one of previous versions. Another hotkey (since I didnt find it for a while) jump pack dodge is directional + middle mouse button on PC. It makes a big difference to out of cover fighting.

I've encountered a couple more issues with ME:A that I think are entirely the result of lack of polish (which is kinda crazy considering the development time the game had). They aren't huge, and I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but it is disappointing how often things like this seem to crop up. There's a GOTY-quality game buried deep in ME:A, and its shame that for whatever reason it didn't reach its potential. 

First issue is that the devs did not do a good job of gating content on the Tempest. If you are meticulous about regularly talking to everyone on board and checking all the terminals, you will still getting references to things that haven't happened yet (e.g. I got an email about a poker night that mentioned the 6th crew member, who I hadn't met yet).

Also, the conversation scripting for flirting seems to be moving way faster than any other crew interaction. I very quickly got to pretty intimate flirting with both Suvi and Peebee, even though the other conversation options I have with been are still in the 'initial conversations about getting to know you' phase. Every crew member, including the non-party ones, have a flirt option the first time you talk to them (and most of them led to them going 'WTF. I'm not interested.' which is hilarious); but Suvi and Peebee, who are both romance options for female Ryder, have had a new flirting conversation almost every time I've talked to them. Even if they have no other new dialog options yet.

Second issue is how

Spoiler

first contact with the angarans was handled. It was way, way too casual and rushed. Maybe meeting new species isn't a big deal for the Milky Way races, they've all done it a ton of times before. But the angarans have only met one other sentient species, and they were hostile; meeting us should be a way bigger deal for them. Also, I understand why the writers didn't want to get bogged down in a 'slowly overcoming the language barrier' story, and just went with 'universal translators are awesome!' But they don't even mention translators until a throw-away line around 20 minutes in; or ever explain that the translators are converting the anagarans' proper nouns to the ones we use (e.g. kett, remanent, vault, etc.). Which I at least assume is what's happening.

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

I'm not used to combat enough to say for sure, but the impression I had is that they want you shooting from cover less than in previous games. Once adjusted the auto cover system may be better than the manual one of previous versions. Another hotkey (since I didnt find it for a while) jump pack dodge is directional + middle mouse button on PC. It makes a big difference to out of cover fighting.

I'm barely  ever in cover, except when I need to recharge my shields. Granted, I'm playing vanguard in SP, but I've played all the common classes in MP; and staying cover is a good way to get flanked and killed. Mobility is really important this time around.

I am slowly getting the hang of combat in ME:A. I got off Habitat 7 and just arrived at the Nexus. I do find the story and the way they set up the whole Andromeda Initiative interesting, so I will keep playing. My progress is slow because I am alternating playtime with TW: Warhammer, where I am nearly done with my Dwarf campaign. (though I want to start a campaign with Chaos)

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I've encountered a couple more issues with ME:A that I think are entirely the result of lack of polish (which is kinda crazy considering the development time the game had). They aren't huge, and I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but it is disappointing how often things like this seem to crop up. There's a GOTY-quality game buried deep in ME:A, and its shame that for whatever reason it didn't reach its potential. 

First issue is that the devs did not do a good job of gating content on the Tempest. If you are meticulous about regularly talking to everyone on board and checking all the terminals, you will still getting references to things that haven't happened yet (e.g. I got an email about a poker night that mentioned the 6th crew member, who I hadn't met yet).

Also, the conversation scripting for flirting seems to be moving way faster than any other crew interaction. I very quickly got to pretty intimate flirting with both Suvi and Peebee, even though the other conversation options I have with been are still in the 'initial conversations about getting to know you' phase. Every crew member, including the non-party ones, have a flirt option the first time you talk to them (and most of them led to them going 'WTF. I'm not interested.' which is hilarious); but Suvi and Peebee, who are both romance options for female Ryder, have had a new flirting conversation almost every time I've talked to them. Even if they have no other new dialog options yet.

Second issue is how

Reveal hidden contents

first contact with the angarans was handled. It was way, way too casual and rushed. Maybe meeting new species isn't a big deal for the Milky Way races, they've all done it a ton of times before. But the angarans have only met one other sentient species, and they were hostile; meeting us should be a way bigger deal for them. Also, I understand why the writers didn't want to get bogged down in a 'slowly overcoming the language barrier' story, and just went with 'universal translators are awesome!' But they don't even mention translators until a throw-away line around 20 minutes in; or ever explain that the translators are converting the anagarans' proper nouns to the ones we use (e.g. kett, remanent, vault, etc.). Which I at least assume is what's happening.

I was going to post something about the exact same issues. People mentioning things that haven't happened yet is a major issue that keeps happening for me. The spoiler stuff you posted really annoyed me as well. That could have been handled so much better without having to get bogged down in any kind of unnecessary detail. Even a throwaway line to explain would have been alright. 

The other problem I keep running into is items that I need to scan or interact with bugging out. The first time it happened was as soon as you get to the Nexus after Habitat 7, I couldn't activate the tram to go to the next area and reloading the most recent save (from when I was already on the Nexus) didn't help. I had to reload a save from Habitat 7 and replay a portion of it before it would work. And this sort of thing keeps happening. All over Hoth I keep having to reload saves and redo combat sequences so I can scan something that bugged out. Extremely frustrating. 

6 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

I had no issues with it.  

Yeah, it ran pretty flawlessly for me as well. 

I'm fine with that, though, because I was one of those people who basically found Arkham Knight unplayable at certain points when it became a fucking slideshow.  I was due to get lucky with one of these shoddy PC ports.

7 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

The other problem I keep running into is items that I need to scan or interact with bugging out. The first time it happened was as soon as you get to the Nexus after Habitat 7, I couldn't activate the tram to go to the next area and reloading the most recent save (from when I was already on the Nexus) didn't help. I had to reload a save from Habitat 7 and replay a portion of it before it would work. And this sort of thing keeps happening. All over Hoth I keep having to reload saves and redo combat sequences so I can scan something that bugged out. Extremely frustrating. 

What platform are you on? After seeing a lot of comments I've had almost none on PC. Only thing that really stood out was getting a "tampering detected" game exit after trying to leave eeos the first time.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

What platform are you on? After seeing a lot of comments I've had almost none on PC. Only thing that really stood out was getting a "tampering detected" game exit after trying to leave eeos the first time.

I'm on PC. I've seen a few other people on the EA forums with similar issues, some of us are just getting unlucky I guess. It just happened again a little while ago, I had to leave a planet and come back to get a certain NPC to spawn so I could finish a quest. 

On a more positive note (Ice planet spoilers):

Fought the Architect earlier. That's without doubt the craziest fight I've ever had in a Mass Effect game. It felt like a damn raid boss. Came so close to dying so many times and it must have taken me about 20 minutes of non-stop fighting to kill the thing. I was wondering if they were going to have something equivalent to the dragons in Inquisition and there they are. Only disappointing thing is that the fight is exactly the same for all of them. I fought my second one after returning to Eos and it was an identical encounter, just easier cause I guess they figure you'll find that one first? I wish they'd done a unique world boss for each of the planets. Would have been awesome.

On 3/24/2017 at 11:29 AM, KiDisaster said:

I was going to post something about the exact same issues. People mentioning things that haven't happened yet is a major issue that keeps happening for me. The spoiler stuff you posted really annoyed me as well. That could have been handled so much better without having to get bogged down in any kind of unnecessary detail. Even a throwaway line to explain would have been alright. 

It got worse at Voeld.

Spoiler

The main story from when you make first contact through the end of the major Voeld quests doesn't seem like its taken more than a few days at most. And some of the anagara do act like all this is brand new (there was one who didn't want to talk to "it", meaning me) but then others act like this is all old hat (one even says "what's a human doing all the way out here?). Then, there's some anagara who acknowledge me as "the alien" and say they've heard I'm coming, and right next to them is another anagara who it turns out hired exiles to ambush me. So that one at least knew all about aliens! (and there was no indication they were hiding anything)

Meanwhile, the messages at the forward base terminals are all over place; and then you establish an outpost Addison talks about how the governor of Anya has been giving her grief. As if there have been formal diplomatic relations for a while now.

The whole thing is a mess. I suspect the lead writers were specific enough about the status of first contact, so all the staff writers took their own approaches towards it. And for whatever reason events were never conformed with each other.

Its really annoying. Because I had a fun on Voeld. Especially the extended assault on the kett base, that was a good time. And considered in a vacuum the writing for each of the individual quests was fine; but they made no sense in any sort of context.

22 minutes ago, Fez said:

It got worse at Voeld.

Hide contents

The main story from when you make first contact through the end of the major Voeld quests doesn't seem like its taken more than a few days at most. And some of the anagara do act like all this is brand new (there was one who didn't want to talk to "it", meaning me) but then others act like this is all old hat (one even says "what's a human doing all the way out here?). Then, there's some anagara who acknowledge me as "the alien" and say they've heard I'm coming, and right next to them is another anagara who it turns out hired exiles to ambush me. So that one at least knew all about aliens! (and there was no indication they were hiding anything)

Meanwhile, the messages at the forward base terminals are all over place; and then you establish an outpost Addison talks about how the governor of Anya has been giving her grief. As if there have been formal diplomatic relations for a while now.

The whole thing is a mess. I suspect the lead writers were specific enough about the status of first contact, so all the staff writers took their own approaches towards it. And for whatever reason events were never conformed with each other.

Its really annoying. Because I had a fun on Voeld. Especially the extended assault on the kett base, that was a good time. And considered in a vacuum the writing for each of the individual quests was fine; but they made no sense in any sort of context.

We're 100% on the same page here. 

There's a quest on Voeld where this Angaran guy sends you to recover an ancient map under the premise that he's a historian. When you get there you rescue two Turians and find out he's actually a smuggler trying to steal the map while the Kett are attacking the town. When you go and confront him he talks about the Turians like he's known them a while. What the fuck? We just made first contact! How do you guys even know each other let alone have time to form a smuggling crew?!

And another example of jank...When you meet the Turians on Havarl they tell you their Ark hit the Scourge. They haven't made it to the nexus or been in contact with any other Milky Way species in Andromeda yet...how did they hear that we named it the Scourge? We don't find that out until we get to the Nexus and meet the Salarian dude in charge! It's like the different writers didn't even talk to each other at all and nobody checked their work.

46 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

We're 100% on the same page here. 

Hide contents

There's a quest on Voeld where this Angaran guy sends you to recover an ancient map under the premise that he's a historian. When you get there you rescue two Turians and find out he's actually a smuggler trying to steal the map while the Kett are attacking the town. When you go and confront him he talks about the Turians like he's known them a while. What the fuck? We just made first contact! How do you guys even know each other let alone have time to form a smuggling crew?!

And another example of jank...When you meet the Turians on Havarl they tell you their Ark hit the Scourge. They haven't made it to the nexus or been in contact with any other Milky Way species in Andromeda yet...how did they hear that we named it the Scourge? We don't find that out until we get to the Nexus and meet the Salarian dude in charge! It's like the different writers didn't even talk to each other at all and nobody checked their work.

Spoiler

Yeah the historian quest was the one I was mentioning. WTF was that about? I still have no idea who those Turians were supposed to be. If they came from the Nexus recently or were exiles or what. When I first saw them I thought this was going to be the big twist, that I'd found their ark, but nope. Same goes for the quest with the Milky Way poachers. Who the hell are those poachers? Its way too sloppy. It extends into the codex too; where some entries are "This is all new and alien and we don't understand yet" and other have long, detailed backgrounds about various aspects of angaran culture.

Stuff like Turians calling it the Scourge, or anyone using proper nouns they shouldn't be yet, doesn't bother me that badly though; since there's an incredibly easy head-canon fix (and hell, its not really even head-canon, more just relying on the ME1 codex). There isn't a galactic common tongue, everyone speaks their own languages and has universal translators sorting it all out. So I imagine that the Turians are saying the Turian word for "that dangerous dark energy thing with the tendrils" and Ryder's translator is just saying Scourge for ease of use.

Lol, when did Dragon Age Inquisition warrant a game of the year edition?

Honestly though, I started it over after having tried it last spring and not cared for it much (I was playing Witcher 3 at the time--DA:I had no chance to be honest), and this isn't so bad of a game. I wonder what it takes to get Game of the Year editions though, because I'm pretty sure this made no one's game of the year.

But the hate it gets and a lot of what I hear Andromeda getting (which makes me second-guess my cancellation) is the enormous, blandness of the collecting quests. But I'll be honest, while DA:I may not be a narrative masterpiece, nor boast compelling characters, it certainly scratches that itch I have in RPGs for collecting and crafting. Games like this shouldn't go away.

Archived