Video Games: Dawn of Waaaaagh!

Werthead

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Playing a biotic without combos with the rest of your team is not very interesting, so if you're not aware of the squad controls, you're basically playing a soldier I guess? So you're telling me people were playing ME as any third person shooter game. Talk about some fans...

Well, my two original trilogy playthroughs were as a soldier and as an infiltrator. Bionic/mage type characters are not everyone's favorite choice for RPG protagonist, but it doesn't make them inferior fans.

17 minutes ago, Gorn said:

Well, my two original trilogy playthroughs were as a soldier and as an infiltrator. Bionic/mage type characters are not everyone's favorite choice for RPG protagonist, but it doesn't make them inferior fans.

It makes them third person shooters aficionados, which I am too. Nothing inferior about that. I just don't call someone a fan of a given game if he's not even aware of the main meat of it.

(Btw, you can play as a soldier and still use biotic combos for your squadmates, I did at some point. Even though I prefer the other classes.)

4 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Playing a biotic without combos with the rest of your team is not very interesting, so if you're not aware of the squad controls, you're basically playing a soldier I guess? So you're telling me people were playing ME as any third person shooter game. Talk about some fans...

I usually played as an Infiltrator or Vanguard and never used the squad controls...

But yeah, most players went soldier. Bioware released that data once and something like 80% of all ME3 playthroughs were as soldiers. The number of playthroughs as MaleShep was around the same amount.

14 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Coming to PC at launch too. Surprising that. Hopefully Bungie's learned some things about PC development since Halo 2.

43 minutes ago, Fez said:

I usually played as an Infiltrator or Vanguard and never used the squad controls...

But yeah, most players went soldier. Bioware released that data once and something like 80% of all ME3 playthroughs were as soldiers. The number of playthroughs as MaleShep was around the same amount.

Coming to PC at launch too. Surprising that. Hopefully Bungie's learned some things about PC development since Halo 2.

Infiltrator, Engineer or Soldier for me. Also, played exclusively FemShep the whole time. I tried BroShep once and it just felt wrong.  

I hope they get Destiny 2 for the PC right because Destiny was/is a pretty fun time-waster on PS4, but I really prefer gaming on a PC.

I only thought the squad controls were necessary on insanity difficulty. They were just kinda fun on other settings. And the AI in the OT was good enough to actually get a few tech or biotic combos off without having to directly set them up.

Playing as a vanguard you just had to be aware of when your biotic squad mates used a sustained biotic ability (pull being probably the most useful). You could then do a biotic charge for big damage.

Just got to Kadra in ME:A, and, again, it feels like the game brushed past a whole lot of setup (and several years) to get everything into the position it wanted for the story it was telling. 

I like the stories its telling, but I'm thinking setting the game as one about exploring frontier doesn't really work in conjunction with stories about intrigue and how social systems interact.

So I got a 27 percent off deal on Mass Effect Andromeda and decided, what the hell? What else do I have going on right now? Preparing to graduate grad school? I'll be fine. I played seven minutes...and I think there were seven "jokes" about sleeping for hundreds of years. "Wow, this coffee's keeping me energized after sleeping 600 years." "Hey guys, I feel like I haven't seen you for hundreds of years!" "Yeah, I guess I could have slept for a couple hundred more years." 

So were these guys in a cryo sleep or something? The game isn't making it clear for me.

11 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Most of that was explained well before the game came out. Everybody was frozen for 600 years and sent from the Milky Way to Andromeda to colonize new worlds

Ya bra, I was joking. Like I said, they mentioned it 7 times in 7 minutes. This writing is terrible. I also like that within 7 minutes a "terrible tragedy" happens, but your character is like "meh."

36 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Ya bra, I was joking. Like I said, they mentioned it 7 times in 7 minutes. This writing is terrible. I also like that within 7 minutes a "terrible tragedy" happens, but your character is like "meh."

Is it bad writing, or is it actually what it would be like? I can imagine waking up after a 600 year sleep and spending the next several days bantering about it.

A meh reaction to a major catastrophe after waking up is a different story. Though perhaps the kind of psychological profiling for choosing a pathfinder is that such a person would go "meh" at things that would send us mere mortals into a fit of panic. You are, after all, signing up for a one way trip with no guarantee of success and a high chance of annihilation.

On 3/27/2017 at 9:13 PM, Werthead said:

StarCraft Remastered and Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition have both been announced (well, SCR has just been announced and PTEE will be tomorrow). So that's (arguably) the greatest RTS of all time and (much more certainly) the greatest RPG of all time both getting new licks of paint for the summer.

Sweet.

I suspect that SC is getting remastered as a tribute to South Korea, since SC2 underperformed to all expectations there. Didn't the SC2 eSports pro-scene quietly die towards the end of last year? I have heard that many of the pros still prefer Brood War over SC2. 

1 hour ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

I suspect that SC is getting remastered as a tribute to South Korea, since SC2 underperformed to all expectations there. Didn't the SC2 eSports pro-scene quietly die towards the end of last year? I have heard that many of the pros still prefer Brood War over SC2. 

No, it's not what happened exactly. The SC2 esports pro-scene in Korea too is still steady if smaller. What basically happened was that the main teams aside from one disbanded, but the players are still going on, now competing in online cups and streaming alongside playing supported pro tournaments. And not all pros prefer BW, only those that were successful in BW before hand like Flash(aka the god of BW). And Blizzard is definitely supporting both the Korean and Foreign esports scenes, with the prize money actually being HIGHER than before. The level of games is also increasing as well.

What Blizzard is more trying to do is to regain some of the lost footing in Korea with BW in SCR, while keeping the decent sized SC2 pro and casual base happy while also supporting the foreign scene well.

On 3/30/2017 at 9:14 AM, Pliskin said:

By far the most commonly played class was default MaleShep Soldier, throughout all of the ME series.  

e:  And yeah, if you didn't play on insanity, there wasn't much point to using the squad commands, whereas I found it critical.  And not just for setting up combos either: I really needed shields stripped ASAP as any kind of biotic so I could start hitting them with powers.  

Archived