Video Games: Dawn of Waaaaagh!

Werthead

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

TW: Warhammer 2 announcement trailer High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven, oh my!!!

The tears of TWC historical grognards are just so satisfying.  TW:WH has been my favorite TW since MTW1:VI and its deliberately preserved rose-tinted goggles.  I am looking forward to this immensely.  Plus, they've confirmed that they will release a "mega campaign" shortly after WH2's launch that combines the maps of 1 and 2 into a huge sandbox.  

Ridiculously stuck up snotty elves fighting angry emo Canadians while dinosaur-riding dinosaurs watch ratmen scheme themselves into increasingly worse defeats should be loads of fun.  The DLC quality continued to improve as the game went on so I have high hopes for this at release as they learned from WH1.  

43 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Anybody doing Andromeda on insanity? How difficult is it compared to hardcore?

It's pretty challenging, though obviously getting easier as I get used to it and level up.

I'm also playing as a vanguard, which on the one hand profits from the improved mobility, but on the other hand obviously easily gets shot to pieces on insanity because you're hardly ever in cover.

I'd recommend taking a good look at the passive defensive skills if you want to play insanity.

Fairly glad I didn't push the difficulty up to insanity after fighting the third Architect last night and dying four times before I beat the damn thing. Hardcore will do I think :P 

I also ran into a brand new and exciting bug where my sniper rifle just doesn't work anymore. Crosshair on the enemy, pull the trigger, nothing happens. Like I'm firing blanks or something. The enemy doesn't even react if they haven't engaged already. Reloading saves and leaving the planet and coming back didn't do anything to fix it. Not sure what else to do. If this persists for the rest of the game I'm gonna be really annoyed. My assault rifle and pistol still work fine. :dunno: 

I'm on Aya and still in my original armor and an Avenger II assualt rifle so I think it would be suicidal at this point to go up to insanity. I can only take one or two bullets before my shield is gone.

(Not Aya, the planet that unlocks after Aya.... I think if I'm remembering correctly. It's the top right of the galaxy map)

I developed a better assault rifle but it ended up being too heavy and slowed my recharge speed. I'm not sure yet which skills increase your weight capacity. I've only used or even looked at Biotic skills so far. Which somewhat reduces the need for a great gun but I still want something better.

51 minutes ago, MerenthaClone said:

The tears of TWC historical grognards are just so satisfying.  TW:WH has been my favorite TW since MTW1:VI and its deliberately preserved rose-tinted goggles.  I am looking forward to this immensely.  Plus, they've confirmed that they will release a "mega campaign" shortly after WH2's launch that combines the maps of 1 and 2 into a huge sandbox.  

Ridiculously stuck up snotty elves fighting angry emo Canadians while dinosaur-riding dinosaurs watch ratmen scheme themselves into increasingly worse defeats should be loads of fun.  The DLC quality continued to improve as the game went on so I have high hopes for this at release as they learned from WH1.  

Also, the new map will include the Southlands, and if the two maps are to be united, then I'm expecting the land of the dead and Araby to be included with DLCs.

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is it bad writing, or is it actually what it would be like? I can imagine waking up after a 600 year sleep and spending the next several days bantering about it.

A meh reaction to a major catastrophe after waking up is a different story. Though perhaps the kind of psychological profiling for choosing a pathfinder is that such a person would go "meh" at things that would send us mere mortals into a fit of panic. You are, after all, signing up for a one way trip with no guarantee of success and a high chance of annihilation.

Seems like bad writing to me. I mean we know how real life works vs. how good writing works. Sometimes it's best to let some of that "this is how it'd be in real life" go. As for drama of the situation, yeah, it'd be totally unearned early on. They wrote themselves into a bad corner in the first 7 minutes of the game due to bad writing. 

I wonder what would have been the problem with the second Ryder twin being a squad mate with set personality? Kind of interesting for second playthroughs--you play the guy the first time, then the second time, the woman, and you see how different the guy is from how you played him. It'd be interesting. Anyway, I'm not writing this thing for them. I don't know who is. But they should hire some writers.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Also, the new map will include the Southlands, and if the two maps are to be united, then I'm expecting the land of the dead and Araby to be included with DLCs.

Yep.  Tomb Kings will probably feature somewhere in there.  Possibly as a Chaos analogue, if you assume that they're on the map all the time and then Nagash shows up at some point a la the Norscans and Archaeon et al.  

e:  The way they talk about the Vortex being a huge part of the campaign is pretty cool.  I liked how most of the later DLC races had victory conditions that weren't "paint (various parts of) the map red)" like the starting four races and it seems like they're going to focus on that a bit more this time around. 

1 hour ago, MerenthaClone said:

Yep.  Tomb Kings will probably feature somewhere in there.  Possibly as a Chaos analogue, if you assume that they're on the map all the time and then Nagash shows up at some point a la the Norscans and Archaeon et al.  

e:  The way they talk about the Vortex being a huge part of the campaign is pretty cool.  I liked how most of the later DLC races had victory conditions that weren't "paint (various parts of) the map red)" like the starting four races and it seems like they're going to focus on that a bit more this time around. 

I wonder if the Vortex plot will have any effect on the rise of the forces of Chaos in the campaign of the Old World. If you have both games, and thus have a big map, and let's say you prevent the destruction of the Vortex, will that result in Archaeon not showing up?

Thimbleweed Park came out today. There's an option on the start screen which says "under/over". Select "over" and it switches all toilet rolls in all the toilets in the game to the correct orientation. All games featuring toilets should have this option from now on.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I wonder if the Vortex plot will have any effect on the rise of the forces of Chaos in the campaign of the Old World. If you have both games, and thus have a big map, and let's say you prevent the destruction of the Vortex, will that result in Archaeon not showing up?

The little I've read seems like no, it won't.  The combined campaign will be more sandboxed and less focused because the Old World races wouldn't interact with the Vortex and the New World races are so far removed from Archaeon that Chaos wouldn't really affect them.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Thimbleweed Park came out today. There's an option on the start screen which says "under/over". Select "over" and it switches all toilet rolls in all the toilets in the game to the correct orientation. All games featuring toilets should have this option from now on.

My entire lifestyle was irrevocably shifted during that Simpsons episode where the kids get taken away by CPS and they cite, "Toilet paper hung in improper overhand fashion."  Needless to say, I'd pick under.

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It's kind of the other way around: the Vortex maintains the status quo of the world, its destruction would result in Chaos overrunning everything in short order.

The first game was really surprisingly good, I'm looking forward to this one and might even pay full price for it. Particularly since High Elves have been my favourite Warhammer army since I first discovered the game more than twenty years ago.

Holy shit I'm old.

So I've played far too much ME in the last few days and managed to finish the main plot now. Without going into anything more, I still loved it. The lack of polish was apparent, and most annoying in the case of gating story content as mentioned already, but the overall story, the characters and the emotional beats all landed for me. I'm very much on board for what is left outstanding at the end of the game as the hints at tying back to the original trilogy.

I was out of town for most of last week and didn't get much ME time in this week, but anticipate more next week.

I played a multiplayer match the other day for an APEX mission.  I think I've detailed my entirely unreasonable self-consciousness when playing any sort of multiplayer.  I always feel like I'm a burden on the rest of the team when I'm first starting out.  Well... I sign up for a bronze level mission and I'm in there with my level one human soldier and the other three range from level 12 up to level 20 IIRC.  The match went mainly okay.  I stayed out of the way, followed the other players and took shots at enemies when I could.  Got to the boss wave and wound up wiping.

Is there an etiquette I should follow?  Do people in the MP use microphones?  Are most people pretty understanding when you step in with a low level character?  This match took about 15 minutes.  Is that normal?  (Felt pretty long and while I was having fun, I did want to just get back to the SP campaign.)

Any overall tips to it?

I got Andromeda last Friday and l have held off giving my assessment for the sake of not being rash. But here goes. 

The faces are quite annoying but ultimately forgiveable because I don't buy Bioware for graphics and animation. The dead eyes are actually my biggest gripe because so much drama can come from a characters eyes, but even still if the writing is good then I can overcome that.

But even writing is terribad. It's been mentioned earlier that they write themselves into a dumb corner ten minutes in, but I forgave the orig-trig for iffy writing of a doomsday group and the lackluster collectors because the characters and dramatic moments shone through.

This outing, however, I cannot forgive. The missteps from the outset are disgustingly glaring and when I say that Liam is the character with whom I most easily connect you can be sure that I am not offering praise. So far nearly every interaction has been a slog through uninteresting personalities, unmoving intrigues, and heinous professional cliches. 

Setting aside the fact that the game confusingly chose to steal Halo's creaky overall narrative while somehow allowing their characters to swoon below even Guilty Spark levels of complexity, nothing about this game says it understands what Mass Effect wanted to be or what it's fans expected. With hopes for a story about an inexperienced explorer making his or her way through the galaxy desperately seeking a home for humanity running high from fans of a series built brick and mortar on an indominatable soldier defying certain defeat against insurmountable odds with their unforgettable companions, Andromeda chooses the unexpected route of forcing us to play an uninterested cardboard cutout of an ambiguous idea for a side character who meekly allows their self to be surrounded with uninteresting broad strokes of minor side characters.

I completed the main story on Eos, the first of what I expect will be many Tatooine planets, and was forced to remove 'just' from the first part of this paragraph because I actually left that planet Tuesday and did not want to offer a confusing timeline. Now since I stopped drinking I must admit that my gaming has taken a severe hit, but since Tuesday I have struggled to force myself to keep playing this dreadfully boring game. Every day before and after work when my fiancé has left or gone to bed I have sat down to get to the next planet or section but invariably once I have begun talking to my companions (99% of the joy in the Holy trilogy) I have started a new episode of Survivor during the first or second dialogue and become completely uninterested. On several occasions I've stopped the next episode Hulu has queued to continue the game so that my Xbox won't auto shut down, but again barely a few lines of eye-rolling dialogue have passed before I'm back to the far more interesting exploits of the Gulang tribe as they try to avoid tribal council. I finished 2 seasons of survivor this week while my thoughts at work and meetings were focused on advancing Andromeda's quagmire of a plot.

A quick rundown on my reactions to my companionship, no real spoilers I think.----

Liam: Oi! Rydah! I'm a pretty bland offering of a cawp who's morals are challenged by the fowace 'cause I really wanna help people. I hope I don't directly cause you to compare me to GarBear, the best video game character ever. But really an obvious contrast between us would be that he was uptight and I'm totally chill. Thankfully I will not make obvious attempts to highlight these differences with my bitchen couch and easy going nature that takes no patience to penetrate.

Me: Dude. I think we could be friends. Especially if you didn't assign the GenChat sexist trademarks to our platonic relationship. But I'm just not that into you. The fact that you're obviously an attempt to circumvent the Garrus comparisons aside, you somehow manage to combine the uncannily boring nature of Jacob Taylor with the toxicity of James Vega as a character. Seriously man, you're totally someone I can see myself hanging out with, but I cannot imagine a non-loyalty mission in which I would expect you to assist. If you wanna sit on this couch and watch movies with the relevant squad, I'm there. But the fact that you're my first choice of mission companions is a severe indictment of the available companions.

Suvi?: I have a fun accent mate, now let me gloss over the scientific gibberjabber that explains in unnecessary non-detail how we received unnecessarily accurate information on the state of Andromeda from Milky Way in an umfullfilling manner that robs some of the romanticism from this voyage. Finally, I would like to display that I am socially awkward in a way that will make social rejects everywhere feel that their rejection is validation of their charming personality and staggering intellect that is undermined by simple insecurity.

Me: God, are you the best?

Cora: Listen, Ryder. There's a ceilinged but also floored level of character development that can be reached by my resentment over your selection as Pathfinder over me alone. But unfortunately for any fan of nuance anywhere, EA/Bioware decided to combine this potentially compelling character arc with the unconnected and mediocre arc of one who is caught between a boring relatable world and an interesting but kind of stupid world as a human who's been trained as an Asari Huntress.

Me: Wow! I seriously could not give a damn about you. If you were just the overlooked/experienced second-in-command I would make it a point to visit you between missions like I did Samara, but your in-between worlds thing literally repulses me. Bioticcally kick all the buckets you want, but I'm not at all interested in anything you have to say after you admit to being a self conscious biotic badass with social issues because of your semester abroad. Seriously, you're supposed to represent an extremely capable soldier behooved doubts of a questionable system, but whenever I see your dope haircut all I think is 'highschool social issues'.

Pilot Salarian: I really have nothing going on besides the fact that I am an architect of this vessel and a Salarian with an uncannily accurate 'photographic' memory. But I'm just exited to be here! 

Me: Hard pass.

Peebee: So eager to do stuff that I hope you will also want to be my explorer friend!

Me: Oh God, did I watch too much Interstellar? It's like you're some unholy combination of McConaughey and Hathaway given form by the drunken tangents of mental gymnastics past. Awkward in your hasty developmental expositionary dialogue that bears questionably relatable nuggets of humanity do you relate to me? I seriously can't decide whether we should be friends or foes because of my character's own ambiguity. 

Dr. Something: You were probably way more interested in me as an inexperienced physician who wanted test subjects before you found out you cannot deliver me living Khett subjects.

Me: Honestly, yeah. But count it an indictment of this game that you're a top-3 character.

Drex: "Rwarr! Me Kogan old man!"

Me: You haven't even joined my crew yet and I could not give a fuck.

Vetra: I'm a lady Turian who wears a visor and does black market things. A sorta reference to how Garrus had shady hookups.

Me: Really? With the visor? You have to make me start there? It's like you're determined to cut off any Vakarian comparison by insisting upon disregarding this shared feature. But no matter. I'll point out that your 'I know the black market because I read "everyone has a price" in"The Art Of The Deal" black market edition' is another level of boring. I'm far more interested in your sister.

Me: I'm so alone...

On current plans I won't get to Mass Effect: Andromeda for months. I really don't feel like I'm missing anything here (I still haven't played Dragon Age: Inquisition, actually).

On 3/31/2017 at 6:52 PM, MerenthaClone said:

I'm very excited for this. The BIG joint map from both games should be epic! I don't know quite how that will work.. and it might well kill my machine.

The one thing I'm worried about is the jungle layout of this new world. Already the game works very badly on forested maps, its too hard to see units, and frame rates fall of a cliff when you get into underground battles. I hope there are far fewer of these than it appears, but I'm not hopeful. Looks like I might need to get a new machine for this.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:13 AM, Rhom said:

I was out of town for most of last week and didn't get much ME time in this week, but anticipate more next week.

I played a multiplayer match the other day for an APEX mission.  I think I've detailed my entirely unreasonable self-consciousness when playing any sort of multiplayer.  I always feel like I'm a burden on the rest of the team when I'm first starting out.  Well... I sign up for a bronze level mission and I'm in there with my level one human soldier and the other three range from level 12 up to level 20 IIRC.  The match went mainly okay.  I stayed out of the way, followed the other players and took shots at enemies when I could.  Got to the boss wave and wound up wiping.

Is there an etiquette I should follow?  Do people in the MP use microphones?  Are most people pretty understanding when you step in with a low level character?  This match took about 15 minutes.  Is that normal?  (Felt pretty long and while I was having fun, I did want to just get back to the SP campaign.)

Any overall tips to it?

What system are u on ? Or pc? I've done about 5 oor 6 rounds on ps4 and haven't heard anyone on mic yet

Archived