Video Games: Dawn of Waaaaagh!

Werthead

2 hours ago, Inigima said:

Metroidvania lovers, you really, really need to be playing Hollow Knight.

I am unfamiliar with Hollow Knight... but I do love me some Metroidvania.  May have to look that one up!

18 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Snip

I'm not much further along than you and I don't necessarily disagree with anything you posted.  However, as I did just finish my replay of the original trilogy; I will add in that I think Andromeda just follows the pattern established there from what I can tell so far. 

All three games basically started with some sort of crisis and then I found myself back at the Citadel and on the Normandy wandering around talking to people and basically saying all the same things you point out in Andromeda.  "What are you doing here?  Do you like the Citadel?" then "What are you doing here?  What do you think about working for Cerberus?" then "What are you doing here?  Isn't what happened to Earth really bad?  Can you believe what a bag of assholes Cerberus turned out to be?"

When playing ME:A, I hit Habitat 7 then wound up on the Nexus and the Tempest for freaking ever wandering around talking to people with very little action.  Just like in the first three games.

Once I moved on after completing Eos, I really have enjoyed the game and the combat hasn't been bad now that I'm getting a few skills.  I'm still figuring out what combination of skills I want to work with and what profiles to use, so I've been experimenting a lot.  Hard to resist a good Vanguard type build, so I've got one set up with Charge, Nova, and currently Lance (but I'm thinking of replacing that with something like Overload).  I've got a Soldier build and I just unlocked Tactical Cloak, so I'm trying to decide what skills to use in an Infiltrator build.  The fact that all the skills go on cooldown for a good while when you switch profiles is certainly a bit of a hindrance and I have yet to find a fight where I need to change builds, but I have enjoyed fiddling with it. 

Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition is now out!  I got it on Steam, nice to be able to zoom in and out.  Not had a chance to play much, but looks good.  Not sure if worth getting if you've modded out the original, but good for those who haven't.  It also has the option to play the original version. 

I'm finding out the way to do cross character combos in me:a is either you wait for your squadmate to do the primer. They have cues to let you know when they do it. Peebee says "gravity goes away in 3...2..". Cora says "enemy is primed". Haven't went to battle with other characters much so I don't know what theirs are.
Or if you use a primer they will use their detonator when they can.

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm not much further along than you and I don't necessarily disagree with anything you posted.  However, as I did just finish my replay of the original trilogy; I will add in that I think Andromeda just follows the pattern established there from what I can tell so far. 

All three games basically started with some sort of crisis and then I found myself back at the Citadel and on the Normandy wandering around talking to people and basically saying all the same things you point out in Andromeda.  "What are you doing here?  Do you like the Citadel?" then "What are you doing here?  What do you think about working for Cerberus?" then "What are you doing here?  Isn't what happened to Earth really bad?  Can you believe what a bag of assholes Cerberus turned out to be?"

When playing ME:A, I hit Habitat 7 then wound up on the Nexus and the Tempest for freaking ever wandering around talking to people with very little action.  Just like in the first three games.

Once I moved on after completing Eos, I really have enjoyed the game and the combat hasn't been bad now that I'm getting a few skills.  I'm still figuring out what combination of skills I want to work with and what profiles to use, so I've been experimenting a lot.  Hard to resist a good Vanguard type build, so I've got one set up with Charge, Nova, and currently Lance (but I'm thinking of replacing that with something like Overload).  I've got a Soldier build and I just unlocked Tactical Cloak, so I'm trying to decide what skills to use in an Infiltrator build.  The fact that all the skills go on cooldown for a good while when you switch profiles is certainly a bit of a hindrance and I have yet to find a fight where I need to change builds, but I have enjoyed fiddling with it. 

I know you're right about the originals--but for some reason I enjoyed it much more. I think it must have been Shepard and the core characters that made things so interesting. I could wade through boring dialogue with nobody characters because I knew when I went back to the Normandy, Thane would be ready to tell me a great new story, or the romantic tension with Miranda was about to break, or Moridin might sing me a song, or Grunt and I could bond, etc., etc. I just don't get any of this from the new one. Perhaps the new characters are  interesting, but it's the void of soul in Ryder that makes everything so empty? Why did I like Shepard so much more? Why was he so much cooler? Do I really need a galactic ass kicker? 

59 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I know you're right about the originals--but for some reason I enjoyed it much more. I think it must have been Shepard and the core characters that made things so interesting. I could wade through boring dialogue with nobody characters because I knew when I went back to the Normandy, Thane would be ready to tell me a great new story, or the romantic tension with Miranda was about to break, or Moridin might sing me a song, or Grunt and I could bond, etc., etc. I just don't get any of this from the new one. Perhaps the new characters are  interesting, but it's the void of soul in Ryder that makes everything so empty? Why did I like Shepard so much more? Why was he so much cooler? Do I really need a galactic ass kicker? 

Drive in the Nomad for a time, and keep switching squadmates. I find their conversation quite funny. There are also a lot of extra responses, like on Eos I jumped on the Tempest, and Kallo said "Really Ryder" with a small sigh. There is plenty of fun dialogue in the game.

I had one on Eos in the Nomad  where Peebee was pretending to have sex with Ryder to see if Jaal was faking being asleep.

The Nomad rides are the best.
It really helps bring the squadmates personalities to life.
It's fun to switch around and see who has beef with who, or who really gets along with who.

3 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

I had one on Eos in the Nomad  where Peebee was pretending to have sex with Ryder to see if Jaal was faking being asleep.

The Nomad rides are the best.
It really helps bring the squadmates personalities to life.
It's fun to switch around and see who has beef with who, or who really gets along with who.

I guess you have to have something to entertain you while you try to get your Nomad over uncrossable terrain...jk, but not really jk. Maybe I'll put Wrex and Jaal together and see what happens.

Bandai Namco just posted this teaser for an upcoming new project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qlKNHgxmSE

I love the art style. The blood dripping from the mouth at the beginning and the #PrepareToDine at the end suggest vampires. The Gunblade, the giant monster at the end and the aforementioned hashtag are making me think Bloodborne/Souls. If this is a new SoulsLike game with vampires I'm going to be a happy camper. 

Hollow Knight update: a hair under 24 hours played, still amazing. It's rare for me to put that kind of time in. I think I'm pretty much at endgame, so now it's a question of whether I want to 100% it or just finish the story. I think I might actually 100% it.

One thing that's awesome to me is that there's so much to do, but in a lot of games, I just find it overwhelming and end up not playing at all. In Hollow Knight there's always something where I think, "Ooh, I could go do that," but no one thing is so overwhelming that I don't want to start.

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

Hollow Knight update: a hair under 24 hours played, still amazing. It's rare for me to put that kind of time in. I think I'm pretty much at endgame, so now it's a question of whether I want to 100% it or just finish the story. I think I might actually 100% it.

One thing that's awesome to me is that there's so much to do, but in a lot of games, I just find it overwhelming and end up not playing at all. In Hollow Knight there's always something where I think, "Ooh, I could go do that," but no one thing is so overwhelming that I don't want to start.

Are you sure that you aren't approaching 100% just to have it flip the castle and actually go to 200%?!!? :lol: 

Endless Space plus its DLC is £1 for the weekend on Steam. A pretty good deal all round.

20 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition is now out!  I got it on Steam, nice to be able to zoom in and out.  Not had a chance to play much, but looks good.  Not sure if worth getting if you've modded out the original, but good for those who haven't.  It also has the option to play the original version. 

I definitely will pick this up at some point. The Best Computer Roleplaying Game Ever Made, and a rather damning indictment of where BioWare has gone wrong since (it was Black Isle who made it, but with a BioWare engine and paradigm).

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Endless Space plus its DLC is £1 for the weekend on Steam. A pretty good deal all round.

It's very good. I've been playing the early release of ES2, and while it's absolutely gorgeous it isn't grabbing me like ES or EL did. Endless Legend in particular did a really good job of combining the questing mechanics with the empire mechanics so that it felt you had things to do while in some of the slower parts. 

The combat in ES2, however, is so much worse than EL that it's pretty sad. There's no real feel of upgrading like there was in ES and especially EL, not nearly as much of a fear thing when you see certain fights, and it doesn't feel like you have any control at all in the fights. Basically, as far as I can tell right now there's zero reason to even watch the fights.

On 4/12/2017 at 8:37 PM, DunderMifflin said:

Have u upgraded the Nomad ? Its way easier to drive with the upgrades

I'll be honest--this game is friggin' obtuse. I can't figure how to upgrade the Nomad. Or how to earn certain points like Milky Way points over Heleus points, or how to get more of certain crafting materials more than +30 at a time. 

Archived