Do you think Aeron Greyjoy is the valonqar?

Free folk Daemon

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:14 AM, Free folk Daemon said:

That said, I do think the above may also be likely. GRRM loves to mix prophecy with characters' own perspectives of things, and Danaerys is associated with fire and white with her silver-gold hair.

I think she's the only introduced character that would make sense, in that fashion. I think the white woman is either a metaphor, a character as yet un-met, or a nightmare vision of the MoD.

*That's not to say I think Danny ends up with him, or even that they ever meet. This vision could easily be that movie-scifi trope of a character having a flash-forward nightmare of what would happen if the bad guy wins. So this would be Aeron's nightmare version of Euron conquering all with the demonic MoD queen by his side.

• 1 month later...

Whoever the valonqar will turn out to be (I have my favourite but that's not important here): in my opinion the answer will have to explain why Maggy who otherwise used the common tongue in her prophecy suddenly switched to High Valyrian when she said 'little brother'.

One does not suddenly change language in the middle of a speech without reason.

More specifically GRRM would not do something like that without reason.

Now: if Aeron was the valonqar: Why would Maggy have used a High Valyrian word for him?

On Invalid Date at 1:09 PM, Amris said:

Whoever the valonqar will turn out to be (I have my favourite but that's not important here): in my opinion the answer will have to explain why Maggy who otherwise used the common tongue in her prophecy suddenly switched to High Valyrian when she said 'little brother'.

One does not suddenly change language in the middle of a speech without reason.

More specifically GRRM would not do something like that without reason.

Now: if Aeron was the valonqar: Why would Maggy have used a High Valyrian word for him?

We may find out that Maggy's prophecy is linked to a different, older prophesy which was made originally in the Valyrian language. Or Maggy may have had a habit of slipping Valyrian words into her prophesies to make them sound more impressive.

And then Maggy wasn't born in Westeros. She came from the East, so she probably learned the Westerosi language as a foreign language. If her native language descended from High Valyrian, valonqar might just be a word from her native tongue that slipped into her prophesy.

On 9.5.2017 at 0:42 AM, Tini said:

We may find out that Maggy's prophecy is linked to a different, older prophesy which was made originally in the Valyrian language. Or Maggy may have had a habit of slipping Valyrian words into her prophesies to make them sound more impressive.

And then Maggy wasn't born in Westeros. She came from the East, so she probably learned the Westerosi language as a foreign language. If her native language descended from High Valyrian, valonqar might just be a word from her native tongue that slipped into her prophesy.

Neither of these are likely explanations. Oh - not that they are impossible. But not likely.

Think about it: GRRM had a clear slate when he designed Maggy. Nothing was compelling him to add a quirk of Maggy suddenly switching language purposelessly in the middle of one of her most important prophecies.

The valonqar is the central word of this part of the prophecy. Making the choosing of this word - and only this word - something random would seem odd for an author. I think it is much more likely that GRRM chose this language switch with a specific purpose in mind.

In other words: GRRM - through Maggy - slipped us a clue when he suddenly had her talk Valyrian. To me it seems that he wanted to tell us that the valonqar is somehow connected to Valyria or Valyrians.

On 3/20/2017 at 1:08 PM, Free folk Daemon said:

Beside him stood a shadow in woman’s form

"Shadow" in the context of prophecy appears to have a very specific meaning; I recall a part where the topic is discussed explicitly in the novels (between the Three-Eyed Crow and Bran, I think? Maybe Jojen and Bran?) and shadows are defined. I looked briefly for the part I remember, but I couldn't find it. My recollection is that "shadows" are fragments of minds (was it part of the discussion about "shadows" of the CotF inhabiting ravens maybe? I don't have time to check, I'll try to look later) so a shadow in a woman's form may be someone like Melisandre (who is a "shadowbinder", a wielder of other people's psychic energies) or it could be someone like Catlyn Stark, a body animated by these "shadows".

But in either case, unless something major changes with Cercei, she wouldn't seem to qualify.

If one of the Greyjoy's boys are the Valonqar, it will be Euron. The visions in the Aeron chapter show Euron on the throne. That chapter also shows you how he treats his wives...  So one can only imagine Cersei's fate after she marries Euron to form an alliance...

Archived