Walter Moers - Princess Insomnia?

Buckwheat

My favourite German fantasy author seems to have finally found Orm again!

Although the official site has showed the name of the next novel as "Die Insel der Tausend Leuchttürme" (The Island of the Thousand Lighthouses) for more than a year now, today a video was posted on facebook that shows a package from Zamonia with a new manuscript with another title: "Prinzessin Insomnia und der Alptraumfarbene Nachtmahr" (Princess Insomnia and the Nightmare-Coloured Nightmare). Later, it was promised that there will be more information on Wednesday.

Soooo ... a new book or just a new name for "Die Insel der Tausend Leuchttürme"? Which would make it a completely new book anyway, as nothing has been known about "Die Insel der Tausend Leuchttürme" (to my knowledge). When is that new thing coming out? What happened with the graphic novel plan for "The City of Dreaming Books"? So many questions, and, realising this is Walter Moers, Wednesday will probably bring a weird letter from Mythenmetz complaining about his translator or something like this again.

I will be duly refreshing all those pages this week in hopes of more information.

Are there other excited Zamonian fans here?

I've liked the books I've read in the world, and it will be nice to get more. But there are still a few novels (2 most recent I think) I haven't read yet, so no rush for me.

Well, at least I am glad I am not speaking to myself in this thread. :D

10 hours ago, Seli said:

I've liked the books I've read in the world, and it will be nice to get more. But there are still a few novels (2 most recent I think) I haven't read yet, so no rush for me.

Which language did you read them in?

Anyway, the news seem to be:

There is still no Schloss nor 1000 Lighthouses, and there is no date set for either of them. Biut the authos says that 1000 Lighthouses will probably be published before Schloss.

The new novel Princess Insomnia will be published in autumn 2017. It is a new Zamonia novel, and not illustrated by the author. It will be illustrated by Lydia Rode.

Soon after that the graphic novel edition of The City of Dreaming Books will be published in two volumes, each one about 120 pages long.

http://www.zamonien.de/autor.php

So waiting for autumn! I am a bit disappointed that the new novel will not be illustrated by the author, but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. :)

The first pages from the graphic novel look amazing too.

www.florianbiege.de/portfolio/die-stadt-der-traeumenden-buecher

I've only read two books of his (13 1/2 LIves of Bluebear and Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures), but I loved both of them. I have a couple more of his books sitting on my kindle that I really need to get back to.

I read them in English, btw.

I've read the 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear and The City of Dreaming Books and enjoyed both of them a lot (in English). Been meaning to get around to some of the other ones, always glad to hear about new books that I want to read!

Rumo is the one I enjoyed least, with the possible exception of Labyrinth. I should reread it with a fresh mind to see if I like it a bit better now. I think the best are City of Dreaming Books and Ensel & Krete (the latter is sadly the one least translated, maybe because it is marketed as a children's book, though that is a dubious description of it).

Anyway, here is the cover art for the new one, and the date: 28th August.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1449063608499876&id=158142424258674 

The cover looks very Moers-ian, it has the same structure as the rest, and I assume the illustrations will be in a similar sryle then!

Of the ones I read (Rumo, City, Ensel and Krete and The Alchemaster’s Apprentice (Der Schrecksenmeister), but not Bluebear and Labyrinth of Dreaming books), I found "Rumo" the most easily recommendable one. But it may not be the most typical one for Moers, it is more traditional (a bildungsroman and hero's quest) in many senses. It is probably also easier to translate than the more book-centered books with their countless allusions, anagrams etc. (all of which can seem a little pretentious occasionally).

Are you calling The City of Dreaming Books pretentious, how dare you? :fencing:

But if you are talking about Hildegunst in Ensel & Krete, of course. His pretentiousness is the best thing about that book.

• 5 months later...

Lets discuss the poor underappreciated Mr. Moers again!

Princess Insomnia has been available since August, I managed to buy it last weekend and am now 2 chapters in, and am quoting myself ...

On 22. 3. 2017 at 9:20 AM, Buckwheat said:

So waiting for autumn! I am a bit disappointed that the new novel will not be illustrated by the author, but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. :)

... to admit that I was wrong to be disappointed. The new illustrations are beautiful. The book is a hardcover with colour illustrations, which look delicate and elegant and precise, so it is different than the strong, black pictures we have been used to, but no less beautiful and certainly not less fitting to the content.

The style in this one seems to be building mostly on alliterations, which are really noticeable. Again, there are the typical neologisms and clever word plays, which make the language unique.

I cannot yet comment on the content much, since the first two chapters were mostly describing the setting and situation, but I am sure something interesting will happen soon. It is in no way boring.

On 1. 4. 2017 at 10:02 AM, Jo498 said:

Of the ones I read (Rumo, City, Ensel and Krete and The Alchemaster’s Apprentice (Der Schrecksenmeister), but not Bluebear and Labyrinth of Dreaming books), I found "Rumo" the most easily recommendable one. But it may not be the most typical one for Moers, it is more traditional (a bildungsroman and hero's quest) in many senses. It is probably also easier to translate than the more book-centered books with their countless allusions, anagrams etc. (all of which can seem a little pretentious occasionally).

I reread Rumo recently, which I had not remembered at all. I now think it is better than Labyrinth, but I like it less than the rest of the books. I agree that is the the most typical fantasy and as such the least typical for Moers. I don't think I would recommend it most because, well, if I get to recommend Moers, I am going to recommend one of the ones that show the author's unique qualities most. It is less self-referential and does not include anagrams and allusions and such, but ... in my eyes, that just makes it less interesting. (Somebody recently described this as "literary theoreticians' catnip", which I am supposedly addicted to. ;) )

Archived