College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

Mexal

10 minutes ago, Triskan said:

I'd say really not unlikely at all.  Gonzaga will be favored over USCe, but it could easily go either way.  So we've got two Northwest teas for the first time ever and two Carolina teams too.  Interesting FF.

I was a Tar Heel fan in my teens, I guess because of MJ and that they were good. But I'd rather see anyone but them win.

Kind of wondering if this is Gonzaga's year. Just not impressed with either of the Carolinas.  I think we see an all-northwest finals, which would be a fun game and a broadcast nightmare. Not that I think the championship game is a ratings driver anyway. Don't think many casual fans tune in after their bracket is toast.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone new like a Gonzaga or an Oregon win the whole thing.

Given most of a day to reflect, I still feel the same.  Certainly disappointing, but not disappointed.  It'll go up there with some of the what ifs for me, but I can't say I honestly believe we were the best team.  I think we likely lost to the best team.

Here's a crazy stat for you.  Until yesterday, Calipari had never lost as an underdog in the NCAA tournament at Kentucky.  Every game where the other team had been favored, he won.  (Now the flip side of that is WVU, UConn x2, and Wisconsin.)  That's just a crazy stat when you think about it.  Every game he was supposed to lose, he won.

If only we could have done it one more time.  :( 

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:30 AM, KingMance said:

This Mountaineer certainly hopes so, but nah, Kansas still has recruiting down pat. Definitely think Texas will finish top 3 next season though, Shaka, the youth, and that big guy with the 70s afro are going to be scary.

Allen has put his name in the draft, and while he has signed with an agent, I doubt he'll be back.

The narrative on Graham also shifted about a month ago, for most of the season it was a sure thing that he was gone, but now it's looking like he's coming back.  And whatever Graham does, Svi will do too.  Svi's defense is so terrible though, he wouldn't be a big loss.  Vick can shoot the three nearly as well as Svi, and he's much more athletic - especially his lateral quickness, so he doesn't have chumps just blow by him and drive to the basket like Svi does. 

We certainly haven't recruited like I wanted to for next season (The Diallo Effect - McDonald's AA that got no run), but we do have some nice additions in Malik Newman and Billy Preston, and more importantly Udoka Azibuke will be back.  Plus Self is the master of picking up kids who back out of their commitments because of coaching changes, and there's been a lot of coaching changes this year.  Graham will be his most important recruit, though.

17 hours ago, Triskan said:

I think Oregon would prefer to play UK over UNC just because there's probably a little less inside strength to deal with.  This one's coming down to the wire...

:shocked: 

Does UNC even have a strength and conditioning program?

43 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I wouldn't mind seeing someone new like a Gonzaga or an Oregon win the whole thing.

Anybody but UNC, amirite?  But seriously, I think any of the other three would be a great story.  My order would probably be SC, Gonzaga, Oregon, UNC. 

29 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Anybody but UNC, amirite?  But seriously, I think any of the other three would be a great story.  My order would probably be SC, Gonzaga, Oregon, UNC. 

Same order for me.  

Archived