College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

Mexal

15 minutes ago, S John said:

Same order for me.  

I might put the Zags in front of SC on my order of preference, but yes that's about how it shakes out for me.

From a historical perspective, this was a bit of a bummer yesterday.  Prior to the game, Carolina had 19 Final Fours and UK had 17.  In the hierarchy of historical programs; UCLA hangs their hat on the 11 titles, UK claims the most overall wins, and UNC the most Final Fours.  Would certainly have liked to close that gap.

So the current wins total stands at:

Kentucky > 2,237 Wins
Kansas > 2,217 Wins
North Carolina > 2,204
Duke > 2,115

Wild stat for UK and KU is that the 2012 National Title game put UK up 20 on Kansas.  The two programs have been even since then.

And lets be honest here... if the NCAA had any integrity at all, UNC wouldn't even be in this tournament.  The story getting the rounds is the standing ovation Maye got when he went to class this morning; but to be quite frank... any UNC player actually going to class is likely worth a standing ovation.  ;) 

I would love to see South Carolina win it if for no other reason than they were so far off the radar when the tournament began, and unlike past low-seed winners (i.e. UConn a few years back) they have no history of competing at this high a level. It's just fun to watch a team come out of nowhere like that. 

I'm rooting for Gonzaga, SC, Oregon and UNC in that order.

In other news, two of the 4 recruits for VCU has affirmed their commitment which is better then I thought once Wade left. In addition, a third, Lavar Batts, wore a VCU shirt after receiving his MVP award at an all star game on Sunday night. This is after his mother put out a nice note about how much love she has for the Ram family. So fingers crossed he sticks around because he's fucking unbelievable. The one recruit we're hearing nothing about is Mayan Kiir so that doesn't look all that promising. Still, 3 out of 4 would be amazing considering what happened when Shaka left (i.e. we lost an entire class and most talented sophomore).

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

She's likely a bit of a college basketball mercenary.

I think she really just has an affinity for the color green.  Last time she posted in these threads, she was the biggest Michigan State fan ever.

8 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Seeing UNC lose in the final game two years straight would be pretty fun...fucking cheating bastards.

:lol: 

On ‎03‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Anybody but UNC, amirite?  But seriously, I think any of the other three would be a great story.  My order would probably be SC, Gonzaga, Oregon, UNC. 

Same...I figure if my team had to lose, might as well watch the team they lost to win.

Loved hearing Steven A say that because Cal has had so many first rounders and one and dones that he should have more championships (and I do get his argument) and not understanding at the same time, other schools and coaches are doing the same thing.  Like earlier in the thread, one bad game for UK and a great game for someone else, that championship run is done - regardless of how strong they were through the year.

11 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Same...I figure if my team had to lose, might as well watch the team they lost to win.

Loved hearing Steven A say that because Cal has had so many first rounders and one and dones that he should have more championships (and I do get his argument) and not understanding at the same time, other schools and coaches are doing the same thing.  Like earlier in the thread, one bad game for UK and a great game for someone else, that championship run is done - regardless of how strong they were through the year.

That's the argument in favor of the bowl system for determining national championships.  It's inherently subjective and incredibly open to bias.  While a playoff isn't perfect.  It is objective for those teams in the playoff.

On 3/27/2017 at 11:01 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Seeing UNC lose in the final game two years straight would be pretty fun...fucking cheating bastards.

And how far did you make it in the tournament this year? 

On 3/27/2017 at 8:10 PM, Rhom said:

IAnd lets be honest here... if the NCAA had any integrity at all, UNC wouldn't even be in this tournament.  The story getting the rounds is the standing ovation Maye got when he went to class this morning; but to be quite frank... any UNC player actually going to class is likely worth a standing ovation.  ;) 

Sure, I'll be honest here: fuck you. 

Needless to say, I will be supporting UNC. My loyalty remains resolute, regardless of ABC Fans and sore losers. 

3 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

And how far did you make it in the tournament this year? 

Sure, I'll be honest here: fuck you. 

Needless to say, I will be supporting UNC. My loyalty remains resolute, regardless of ABC Fans and sore losers. 

Little harsh there.  Even UofL fans with their strippers and such can acknowledge when their university has made a mistake.

Do you honestly not believe that the school made grievous errors in their academics in the period that has been meticulously documented by the local papers in the North Carolina area?

Look, I'm a Kentucky fan... we have well known sanctions in basketball and football.  I acknowledge those and sincerely hope we learned from it and are not engaging in those practices anymore.  I'm a bit embarrassed for you if you don't have enough self awareness to acknowledge the fact that the school is getting improper treatment for their violations.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Little harsh there.  Even UofL fans with their strippers and such can acknowledge when their university has made a mistake.

Do you honestly not believe that the school made grievous errors in their academics in the period that has been meticulously documented by the local papers in the North Carolina area?

Look, I'm a Kentucky fan... we have well known sanctions in basketball and football.  I acknowledge those and sincerely hope we learned from it and are not engaging in those practices anymore.  I'm a bit embarrassed for you if you don't have enough self awareness to acknowledge the fact that the school is getting improper treatment for their violations.

Save your condescending pity for someone else, Rhom. I'm fucking tired of this shit in this thread, and it has certainly been a big reason for my relative absence in this thread. UNC bashing on this point is 1) becoming old hat, and 2) massively hypocritical from any fans of Blue Blood teams. 

1 hour ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Save your condescending pity for someone else, Rhom. I'm fucking tired of this shit in this thread, and it has certainly been a big reason for my relative absence in this thread. UNC bashing on this point is 1) becoming old hat, and 2) massively hypocritical from any fans of Blue Blood teams. 

Hate to see that, but again... Do you not agree that in any other situation, the NCAA would have already acted?

Jim Boeheim is waiting for your response.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Hate to see that, but again... Do you not agree that in any other situation, the NCAA would have already acted?

Jim Boeheim is waiting for your response.

It's so hard to say when the NCAA has been incredibly inconsistent with their penalties in the past. There have been teams treated more harshly for less and teams treated less harshly for more. The NCAA lacks standards and they have not expressed real interest in establishing any. What's more, the tone of the conversation surrounding the controversy frequently carries undertones less of genuine desires for 'just punishment,' but, rather, of sports tribalism flavored with pettiness, rivalry, and holier-than-thou-art smugness. Regardless of what I may think about what UNC has done, I also cannot ignore the hypocrisy of the judgment directed towards UNC either. I doubt that you can honestly tell me that the calls for infractions, including the severity of infractions that people have urged, are motivated entirely by a sense of justice and not the petty tribalism of sports. And when these calls are coming from fans of top conference teams who are pretending that their shit don't stink? Yeah, it's difficult not being miffed about this shit. 

Mat,

What are "Blue Blood" teams?  Just for the sake of regional interest it would be fun to see South Carolina v. North Carolina in the final.  You know I was born in North Carolina and have tons of family up that way.  If South Carolina were to, by chance, win (fingers crossed for this weekend and April 3) I have a feeling my North Carolina family would be less than thrilled. :)

Archived