College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

Mexal

Holy Cow!

Miss State just beat UConn in overtime with a last second buzzer beater! Sets up an all SEC Final with USCe.

Refs did everything they could to give UConn the game with a really weak review of a flagrant 1 to give UConn the chance to tie with free throws and get the ball. UConn ran their play too early and lost it out of bounds with 12 seconds to play. Little 5’5" Tyler Ulis of a gal fearlessly took the last second shot to end the 111 game winning streak.

57 minutes ago, Triskan said:

The Kevin Ollie era has been kind of bizarre.  He gets the UConn job, quite prestigious job.  And for the most part it's been smashing failure taking one of the elite programs and sending it into grinding mediocrity...except that they cashed in a national title along the way.   And wasn't that Napier team like a 6 seed or something?  

7 seed.  They played 8 seed U.K. making the combined 15 seed of the teams the highest ever to play in the title game.

Still disappointed in that game.  That tourney run is still my favorite in Kentucky history.  The fact it came up short is always frustrating.

2 hours ago, Triskan said:

The Kevin Ollie era has been kind of bizarre.  He gets the UConn job, quite prestigious job.  And for the most part it's been smashing failure taking one of the elite programs and sending it into grinding mediocrity...except that they cashed in a national title along the way.   And wasn't that Napier team like a 6 seed or something?  

Yeah, it has been bizarre. The conference thing is really killing them in recruiting but he does seem to make some odd choices with the talent he goes after. He'd rather have nothing but athletic guards instead of anybody who can actually shoot. I don't even know anymore. I feel like this team is descending into just being a decent mid-major team. 

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Ollie may go down as the worst coach to ever win a major American sports championship.

That's a bold statement. There's a long list of bums out there who got lucky. 

Also, my dad is probably devastated about Uconn women. I have to give him a call tomorrow to see how he's doing. 

49 minutes ago, Triskan said:

I weirdly hope to avoid this matchup as I don't want to have to root against either, but I'll root for Oregon if that's the game.  Ducks sure have a tall task against UNC today, but if they're going to pull it off, they're likely going to need something similar to what they got against KU:  Brooks being his usual self, Dorsey staying hot to be their 2nd scoring star, and Bell staying out of foul trouble and single-handedly disrupting the boards and blocks Ben Wallace-style.  

My final prediction though is that that it's Gonzaga v. UNC with the two favorites surviving today.

I'd rather see Oregon take it so that a religious institution is deprived the pleasure, but if it comes down to it Zaga is better than a Carolina. At least it's west coast.

19 minutes ago, Triskan said:

I expect Karnowski to be fine, but even if he's not I like Gonzaga to finish this out.  He's a really good big, but he is quite slow and lumbering.  The rest of the team can really run, so they're able to push a pace a bit with Karnowski out.  

I liked their ability to spread and attack without him at the end of the half.

Well SoCar didn't make it :( 

Looks like UNC is gonna face Gonzaga, so this is a real conundrum.  My ex-wife is from the Spokane area, and a big chunk of her family is from North Carolina and UNC fans...  Is there a nuclear option?  And for what it's worth, Ned Jr. is rooting for UNC, "because family lives there".  

True enough son, but this is a meteor championship for me.

Archived