College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

Mexal

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Think most of these layoffs were just not picking up expiring contracts. I'm guessing a bunch more will not have their contracts renewed going forward either.

I don't know the contact status, but there were a few biggish names.  Most of it seemed to be the regional beat writers and soccer/hockey writers.

Was really surprised to see Jayson Stark get the can.

Nike, Under Armor, and Adidas not interested in Lonzo Ball.

In his meetings with the three, LaVar insisted that the company license his upstart Big Baller Brand from him. He also showed the companies a shoe prototype that he hoped would be Lonzo's first shoe.

"We've said from the beginning, we aren't looking for an endorsement deal," LaVar told ESPN. "We're looking for co-branding, a true partner. But they're not ready for that because they're not used to that model. But hey, the taxi industry wasn't ready for Uber, either."

Yeah LaVar... that's the problem.  You're the Uber to their taxi...  :rolleyes: 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sperry said:

Even with the commitment, this looks like Calipari's worst team. Nothing returning, and no transcendent talents in the class.

The Nerlens Noel team clearly holds that distinction and I don't believe it to be in jeopardy.  His second worst team likely was the national title runner up that season...

That said, there are clearly some concerns with the roster.  It's clear that Quade Green plays at the point and Nick Richards plays center; but everyone else is essentially positionless. Jemarl Baker and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander will back up at the two guard spots.

Reading between the lines, I think it's pretty clear that Knox liked Kentucky because with the roster as constituted, we have plenty of people at the 4 (and tall 3) and that will allow him to play the 3 with some 2.  Most other schools would have likely needed him at the 4 and that's not where he projects at the next level.

This team will certainly take some lumps, but there is talent on the roster.  If we sign Mo Bamba, then I don't feel like I will be concerned by the time March rolls around.  We should be able to compete, and that's all I ask.

18 hours ago, Rhom said:

The Nerlens Noel team clearly holds that distinction and I don't believe it to be in jeopardy.  His second worst team likely was the national title runner up that season...

That said, there are clearly some concerns with the roster.  It's clear that Quade Green plays at the point and Nick Richards plays center; but everyone else is essentially positionless. Jemarl Baker and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander will back up at the two guard spots.

Reading between the lines, I think it's pretty clear that Knox liked Kentucky because with the roster as constituted, we have plenty of people at the 4 (and tall 3) and that will allow him to play the 3 with some 2.  Most other schools would have likely needed him at the 4 and that's not where he projects at the next level.

This team will certainly take some lumps, but there is talent on the roster.  If we sign Mo Bamba, then I don't feel like I will be concerned by the time March rolls around.  We should be able to compete, and that's all I ask.

compete? lol, even at umass Cals team always competed. sub 25 wins is a bad season at this point every year imo.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Uh Oh... Coach K's back is starting to ache a bit more...

Why?  He's already got Trevon Duval.  Maybe he pulled a Calipari, and told Jackson there was no longer a place for him on the team so he might as well stay in the draft ;) 

2 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That was kind of surprising wasn't it?  I thought he was set for either you guys or Duke, but I haven't followed his recruitment at all.

Most people had him pegged as a heavy UK lean.  I know I just kind of assume we were getting him.  :dunno: 

In his announcement piece, he talked about the relationship he built with Smart while playing for him on the US National Team.  Those positions are just a gold mine of recruiting.  Can't tell you how glad I am that Cal is going to be coaching them for the next 5 or 6 years. 

2 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Yeah,you poor guys sure need to get a leg up in this whole recruiting thing.  I don't think college coaches should be allowed to hold those positions at all.

I agree, its certainly an unfair recruiting advantage.  But if they are going to hold the positions, I want it to be my coach doing it.  I also think now that Calipari is doing it, you will start to see more people complain about it.

I understand USA basketball's standpoint too, you want quality coaches for the teams.  If they didn't allow college coaches, I'm not entirely sure where they would get the coaching for the team.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived