College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

Mexal

1 hour ago, Greywolf2375 said:

No need to be shocked - he went the wise decision to partner for 35 weeks to be with the best coach in all of coaching history.  Obviously very happy that he has selected Duke, but it's still tempered with they can have all the talent in the world, can they put it together one year at a time since the team will be different in 2018.

Okay... question for you... Some in UK circles have been saying this, but Duke fans online are getting their panties in a wad over it.

Do you think that K cancelled the Dominican Republic trip to have knee surgery?  Or do you think he cancelled it because he was trying to close the Bagley recruitment?

I think it makes too much sense not to be true.

55 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Okay... question for you... Some in UK circles have been saying this, but Duke fans online are getting their panties in a wad over it.

Do you think that K cancelled the Dominican Republic trip to have knee surgery?  Or do you think he cancelled it because he was trying to close the Bagley recruitment?

I think it makes too much sense not to be true.

I think he used the reason of a knee surgery to stay at this time so that he could try to get Bagley.  The surgery was needed, but the timing of the entire process - this is just plausible deniability of putting that one recruit/potential for next year above the current roster.

Where this really gets good for me is if he is eligible to be there in the fall then he is eligible for the '18 draft and may be something the Celtics need to look at.

1 hour ago, Ded As Ned said:

I never understood why he cancelled the trip for the entire team due to his surgery in the first place.  Couldn't an assistant coach them in the DR for the exhibitions?

Look at how terribly his assistants did when he took time off in the middle of last season, and there's your answer.  He's likely worried about bad habits getting ingrained because the team is so young.  I don't know why he couldn't suck it up and do the knee surgery after the trip, which would still be well before the season starts.  ETA: because cancelling that trip on those kids was such a dick move.

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Look at how terribly his assistants did when he took time off in the middle of last season, and there's your answer.  He's likely worried about bad habits getting ingrained because the team is so young.  I don't know why he couldn't suck it up and do the knee surgery after the trip, which would still be well before the season starts.  ETA: because cancelling that trip on those kids was such a dick move.

But he's the Greatest Coach Ever!  Surely his assistants are the Great Coaches of the Future!

I'll leave the snark at that...(sorry Greywolf, no offense).  Still the whole thing seems odd and strange to me, but unlike my counterpart UK fan, my focus is entirely on football until New Years... so eh, whatever. :P

ETA:  Well New Years-ish... depending on how the football season goes.

21 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Too much sense?  No freaking way K sacrifices in game experience for his extremely young team (isn't Trip the only returning player of any experience?).  

Yeah, they definitely should have gone - any experience for a team like this is going to be a benefit.  Maybe there's other reasons that compiled and they just used the knee as the excuse

4 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Yeah, they definitely should have gone - any experience for a team like this is going to be a benefit.  Maybe there's other reasons that compiled and they just used the knee as the excuse

You mean like convincing the best player in 2018 to reclassify to be the best player in 2017?  :lol: 

53 minutes ago, Rhom said:

You mean like convincing the best player in 2018 to reclassify to be the best player in 2017?  :lol: 

Has a reclassified player ever actually worked out for Duke?  I know of two highly ranked kids that did it in recent years, and both ended up sucking out loud (Dawkins and Murphy).  I feel like there was a third but they must have been so terrible that I completely forgot their name, but maybe it's just because I remember Dawkins because his sister died in a car crash going to a Duke game his freshman year (so, basically Coach K killed a young woman, yeah I said it, but no I really don't feel that way, or do I) and Murphy because we were also recruiting him.

19 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Has a reclassified player ever actually worked out for Duke?  I know of two highly ranked kids that did it in recent years, and both ended up sucking out loud (Dawkins and Murphy).  I feel like there was a third but they must have been so terrible that I completely forgot their name, but maybe it's just because I remember Dawkins because his sister died in a car crash going to a Duke game his freshman year (so, basically Coach K killed a young woman, yeah I said it, but no I really don't feel that way, or do I) and Murphy because we were also recruiting him.

Who was the point guard he convinced to reclassify to come in and then recruited over him?  His uncle then got real loud and testy about how K had promised him lots of stuff and the kid missed out on his senior year of high school things. 

Derryck Thornton.  Yep.  Although he did do better than the other two.  It's not really just Duke, either, these very late reclassifying kids always seem to struggle.  I wonder if that holds true for kids that do it at other points in the high school career too?  It's just that the really late ones are much more memorable.  

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

From reading the comments over at Card Chronicle it looks like the entire UofL fanbase is jumping ship in droves.

By and large I have no sympathy for anyone who still identifies as a UofL fan after the dirt from the basketball team, the Foundation mess, and especially anyone who lives in the Louisville Metro Area and has to support the atrocity that is the Yum! Center deal.

But I did feel sorry for this guy at Card Chronicle:

Crap. And I just paid my donation. Will I get a refund when we get the death penalty?

Wait a minute, are you saying there’s wide spread corruption in the NCAA? I’m shocked. Shocked I say!

On a serious note, can we just start paying the players and end this farce? All athletes get illegal kickbacks in one form or another.

18 minutes ago, Rhom said:

By and large I have no sympathy for anyone who still identifies as a UofL fan after the dirt from the basketball team, the Foundation mess, and especially anyone who lives in the Louisville Metro Area and has to support the atrocity that is the Yum! Center deal.

I haven't read all of that Card Chronicle thread yet but I did hear on the radio earlier that the alleged $100k payment took place around the same time UofL's penalties were handed down for the prostitution scandal. That is the worst possible look for a program. 

13 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I haven't read all of that Card Chronicle thread yet but I did hear on the radio earlier that the alleged $100k payment took place around the same time UofL's penalties were handed down for the prostitution scandal. That is the worst possible look for a program. 

I can't seem to get the Tweets to embed correctly, but Mark Ennis tweeted out:

Louisville received its punishment from the NCAA 6/11. A bball assistant was in a hotel room in Vegas w/Adidas conspiring to cheat on 7/27.

Archived