College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

Mexal

33 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

With this being a Federal investigation, the stakes here are substantially higher than a typical NCAA probe. The tone I'm getting from the information that's been revealed thus far is that we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg with these initial allegations.  

Yes.  While I'm currently engaging in much schadenfreude; there really can't be a fan of any significant school that should feel entirely comfortable today.

I think this will be the largest scandal to rock college athletics.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wait a minute, are you saying there’s wide spread corruption in the NCAA? I’m shocked. Shocked I say!

On a serious note, can we just start paying the players and end this farce? All athletes get illegal kickbacks in one form or another.

I'm very upset that KU just re-upped with Adidas.  Nike's obviously much better at the game. :( 

15 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm very upset that KU just re-upped with Adidas.  Nike's obviously much better at the game. :( 

It really does read as if Adidas is trying to play catch up with Nike.  :dunno: 

Which again brings me back to my question, how much money does a shoe contract make for the shoe company?!!?  How many people are buying shoes because Joel Embiid endorses it?  (Was going to use John Wall as an example... but then remembered he is actually without a shoe deal right now.  :lol: )  I know when I was in middle school, I got a new pair of Jordans every year... but I didn't know anyone rushing out to buy the Barkleys or the Drexlers.  

So maybe the Kyries and LeBrons of today's NBA are moving shoes, but are second tier players worth the hundreds of thousands/millions that they get from shoe companies????

Seriously, is Brian Bowen worth $100k to Adidas or UofL??????

17 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I don't understand the money thrown around in these contracts either.  I did have a couple of pairs of Barkleys growing up, they weren't any cheaper than Jordans.  I just liked their look better the times I got them.

And @Rhom, My best guess is they want to cast a wide net on the cheap when the players are young and hope that creates some degree of loyalty if and when one of their younger prospects becomes a super star. 

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

WAVE in Louisville is reporting that AD Tom Jurich was asked to fire Pitino this morning, he refused, and then both were fired.

It’s official now. A stake has been driven through the vampire’s heart.

Funny thing is that this isn’t the worst thing he’s done.

Damn... Jurich and Pitino are just on Administrative Leave for now.

Get this... their contract says they can only be fired after at least ten days' notice from the Board of Directors.  :lol:  Whoever their agent is, I want them the next time I need to negotiate anything.

Edit:  Damn, Jurich's contract says he has thirty days.  :rofl: 

1 hour ago, Ded As Ned said:

Funny tweet I saw this morning went something like "Who ever thought that Bobby Petrino would turn out to be the good son."

Haha, I came in here to post something similar.  It's pretty bad when Bobby Petrino is the leading figure in your athletic dept. not currently in hot water.  

3 minutes ago, S John said:

Seems likely that more schools will be implicated and that the scandal goes beyond Adidas.

Definitely.  Everyone who is implicated has virtually no benefit to staying silent and every incentive to roll.  A lot of people are going to go down because of this.  Arizona and Louisville are big fish in college bball, but I expect there will be others. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Definitely.  Everyone who is implicated has virtually no benefit to staying silent and every incentive to roll.  A lot of people are going to go down because of this.  Arizona and Louisville are big fish in college bball, but I expect there will be others. 

Yea, I'm trying to keep the schadenfreude in check until I know for sure WVU was not involved with any of this nonsense, though I'm reasonably certain we're not based on the type of guys WVU recruits.  More the mean, one-eyed junkyard dog variety than the pay for play types, but we shall see.  

I can't resist resurrecting this gem though: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/what-if-the-big-12-had-chosen-louisville-over-west-virginia-during-realignment/

Go fuck yourself, Dodd.  

As a Kentucky fan, I'm not gonna lie.  While I don't think we are going to be in trouble, it'd be wrong to say that I'm 100% confident.  Part of me hopes that schools like UK, Duke and UNC are too big to fail.

I do think that this will expand to at least 20 or 30 schools before its all over.  Will it cross over into college football?  It will likely be the biggest scandal to ever hit college sports.  

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Arizona's a Nike school, right?

I believe I read that three of them are Nike schools.  All so bizarre.  

Seems that Adidas was trying to up their game to compete with Nike landing these recruits.  Perhaps Nike has perfected the game and kept it quiet while Adidas was still learning the ins and outs and their amateurism got them caught.  :dunno: 

After the NCAA kills the officially licensed vendor status for Adidas and Nike, maybe we'll all be left with New Balance schools and Saucony schools.

Okay... what am I doing wrong with posting tweets?  I have been posting in the direct link which always used to embed the tweet on this board.  Am I missing something?

Anyways, that's a tweet about how the FBI is now investigating Nike's Grassroots AAU division.

Archived