Mexal

College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

365 posts in this topic

Didn't Gottlieb beg for the job when they ended up hiring Underwood and they turned him down?

13 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Didn't Gottlieb beg for the job when they ended up hiring Underwood and they turned him down?

Yes I believe so.  Have a feeling it could be one of those knee-jerk "he'll never leave us!" reactions of the recently scorned.  And as WVU fan I have experienced that exact thing *cough* 2007 *cough*.

Of course, Gottlieb is not a guaranteed failure if OSU does indeed hire him.  I have to acknowledge that I can't see into the future and it could end up working out -  but it just seems really risky to me.  A lot of people *know* basketball, but that doesn't mean they can recruit or lead young men, and do so effectively when you are the one under pressure.  

I'm putting myself in the shoes of an OSU fan here.  I would want someone who has at least some collegiate coaching to point to.  If Gottlieb wanted to get into coaching, I think it'd be fine for him to land a gig at a smaller school with lower expectations and build up a little bit of a resume.  But I think it's crazy at the Power 6 level, in arguably the most competitive top-to-bottom conference, at a program that expects reasonable success, to put a guy in there with no experience.   

Gottlieb would be a good hire. Oklahoma State needs to get creative. Stillwater is a shithole, meaning they're likely to lose anyone who has success there unless they are an alum with actual loyalty. Gottlieb is a smart, personable guy. He'll recruit well there. The x's and o's of basketball are neither particularly difficult nor particularly important. If he can bring in somebody with the managerial experience of running a progrma who can help him with that for a few years, he'll be fine. 

8 hours ago, S John said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18977048/doug-gottlieb-interview-oklahoma-state-cowboys-coaching-vacancy

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt?  Lose Brad Underwood and replace him with Doug freakin'-hide-your-credit-cards Gottlieb?  Are they nuts?  Guy has never been a collegiate coach and they are going to put him in charge of a Power conference program?  They cannot be serious.  I would honestly be furious that they were even wasting time talking to this guy if I were a Pokes fan.  

Gotta think Big XII coaches are licking their chops at the prospect of doling out a few thrashings to a talking head trying his hand at doing the job instead of criticizing it.  

I can't see it happening, but I would love it if it did.  We need a zero effort conference win occasionally.

Not happy about probably missing the first half of the Oregon v. Michigan and Gonzaga v. WVU games tomorrow, but I should get the 2nd half at least.  

One person on FiveThirtyEight said Gonzaga v. WVU deserves more hype than Kentucky v. UCLA this round not that there's any way to prove such a thing.

4 minutes ago, Triskan said:

One person on FiveThirtyEight said Gonzaga v. WVU deserves more hype than Kentucky v. UCLA this round not that there's any way to prove such a thing.

The most important thing noted in that video is that because there were so few upsets, we are in for another great weekend of bball.

The Memphis regional is insane this year.  UNC/Butler, UCLA/Kentucky. Last time we hosted, my employer got us a bunch of tickets fairly cheap. No such luck this time.  :lol:   

Lavar Ball vs Stephen A. Smith is the most amazing thing I've ever heard. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lavar Ball vs Stephen A. Smith is the most amazing thing I've ever heard. 

I'm watching it right now, it's outrageous. Two blowhards sucking all the air out of a room and filling it back up with bullshit.

11 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I'm watching it right now, it's outrageous. Two blowhards sucking all the air out of a room and filling it back up with bullshit.

Everyone needs to see it:

I just searched it up, this is great! lol

15 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Holy shit, that is the perfect description of that. Just an absolute Vacuum of Douche.

Marketing in 2017: Say as much crazy **** as possible and you will succeed. 

He's like the Donald Trump of basketball

3 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

He's like the Donald Trump of basketball

He's a level beyond Trump. Imagine Ball as our President. 

Anyways, looks like we're dancing again tonight! 

Lavar Ball - I cannot even watch that, nor do I want to or even see any reason why this guys opinion even matters. It's like the Kardashian's and the dumbasses that keep their bank account fat by giving them attention, for what? I know it's a going to get him rich and having at least one son that can play in the NBA, will help that. But, for the life of me, why does this man get national airtime and headlines? Its the ravings of a madman. Jordan cant gaurd him? Shit, the Roof is the Ceiling, man!

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Everyone needs to see it:

Simply amazing.

Real ball firing up shortly!  May your teams find the favor of the basketball gods!