Mexal

College Basketball: Sweet and disappointing

365 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Tied at the half, and I'm feeling hesitantly optimistic. We have dictated the the pace and Gonzaga does look a bit uncomfortable. Thing is, we are shooting like shit. If the shots start falling, I really like our chances. That being said, if we give all we got and end up looking, I'm very proud of this team. Really a good game. And, I see where @Triskan says that Zags are legit. As good As team as we've faced all year. Ready for a great 2nd half.

ETA: I love Zags big man with the beard. That jump hook is almost unstoppable and I love to see bigs go back to a move that is virtually unstoppable. As much as I want to win, obviously, I do have a respect for the Zags. Great team.

Edited by Michael Seswatha Jordan

Couldn't pass this up.

Great Oregon win except that Ennis now officially has the yips.  Oregon has now made the Eight for the 4th time since 2001, but they've lost at that game in the previous three attempts to the Collision/Heinrich/Gooden My team, the defending CV champ Florida team, and last year's Buddy Hield Our team.  Could be KU again which will be a brutal matchup for Oregon.

29 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Tied at the half, and I'm feeling hesitantly optimistic. We have dictated the the pace and Gonzaga does look a bit uncomfortable. Thing is, we are shooting like shit. If the shots start falling, I really like our chances. That being said, if we give all we got and end up looking, I'm very proud of this team. Really a good game. And, I see where @Triskan says that Zags are legit. As good As team as we've faced all year. Ready for a great 2nd half.

ETA: I love Zags big man with the beard. That jump hook is almost unstoppable and I love to see bigs go back to a move that is virtually unstoppable. As much as I want to win, obviously, I do have a respect for the Zags. Great team.

WVU has to start hitting some shots.  Been pretty much cold the whole game.  D has kept us in it.

Dang.  That was some Ninja Gaiden dunk attempt, block stuff.

Posted (edited)

Gonzaga b tired.

ETA:  They caught their second wind!  Coming to a good finish

Edited by Ded As Ned

That's a tough loss for WVU.  I feel for you guys.

I keep hoping we can get a little breathing room, but Purdue keeps making some crazy threes.  Haas for Purdue is damn good; kid looks like Hitler's wet dream though.

Sorry, WVU homies.

Oregon is in for some serious shit when they play KU.

And there goes one of my title game picks.  Crazy.  Gonzaga should walk to the Final Four.

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

And there goes one of my title game picks.  Crazy.  Gonzaga should walk to the Final Four.

I've got 3 of 4 still alive (missed Duke), but need KU to beat Oregon and UCLA to survive against UK and UNC...no small task.  And it's not like Gonzaga is there.  I give Xavier a solid chance (but would favor Gonzaga).  I thought Gonzaga played like shit today and yet won.  How do they not feed Karnowski way more?  

ETA:  Sean Miller continues to have a "good" career at Arizona but not enough post-season success.  

Edited by Triskan

14 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Lavar Ball - I cannot even watch that, nor do I want to or even see any reason why this guys opinion even matters. It's like the Kardashian's and the dumbasses that keep their bank account fat by giving them attention, for what? I know it's a going to get him rich and having at least one son that can play in the NBA, will help that. But, for the life of me, why does this man get national airtime and headlines? Its the ravings of a madman. Jordan cant gaurd him? Shit, the Roof is the Ceiling, man!

Watch it. It's absolutely the rantings and ravings of two crazed blowhards. 

9 hours ago, Triskan said:

I thought Gonzaga played like shit today and yet won.  How do they not feed Karnowski way more?   

Thing is, WVU had another poor shooting performance. My hat go w's off to the Zags, I think they're a good team. But, we wasn't near our best offensively, and the reason the Zags didn't look their best was because of our D. I do think they handled it fairly decent though. If we could've had some shots fall, we win that game by 10. Offensive boards, and wait for it....FREE THROWS kept us in the game.

By the way, Rhom and Ned, I would be remiss if I didn't say something like this today:  Your scent is weak.  I challenge you.

If memory serves, Gonzaga is nigh-identical to Oregon in that they've made the 8 three times in the modern era:  that first breakout year under Dan Monson and then twice under Few in the last, ahem, few years, but lost at that round all three times.  My hunch is that Gonzaga edges out Xaxier to make their first Final Four this year but that Oregon loses to KU who looks like the most complete team now.  

It's almost comical to compare the two regions going at it today.  In one you have all top seeds remaining with UNC v. Butler and UK v. UCLA.  Then you have chaos across the way with the 1 and the 2 gone.  

If anything tonight, I would love Lonzo Ball to go fucking Gonzo on UK. If the guy is legit, then let's see a game from him for the ages. Bombing 35 footers and just controlling the game in every fashion. If he does, He's won me over. If they lose and he can't handle the spotlight then that don't hide well for who he is as a player. That said, this tourney hasn't has that signature player that just wills his team to victory. I want that. The tourney needs that.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Thing is, WVU had another poor shooting performance. My hat go w's off to the Zags, I think they're a good team. But, we wasn't near our best offensively, and the reason the Zags didn't look their best was because of our D. I do think they handled it fairly decent though. If we could've had some shots fall, we win that game by 10. Offensive boards, and wait for it....FREE THROWS kept us in the game.

More or less agree.  I give Gonzaga's half court D a lot of credit.  They were a real pain in the ass.  WVU did shoot very poorly, the entire game :bang:, but Gonzaga did a good job of not giving up anything easy.  Was a defensive battle with neither O really clicking and WVU got edged out at the end.  That last 3 from Gonzaga... even though there was still about 1 minute left it just had the feel of a dagger type shot.  We were shooting so poorly overall that overcoming a 3 point deficit in the clutch actually felt a bit out of reach to me, and unfortunately it was.  I think if you play that game 10 times, WVU takes half of them, but someone had to win.

As to the future outlook.  WVU is going to miss Adrian from a leadership standpoint, but he is the only significant loss.  Meyers has been great in flashes and is super like-able but certainly not irreplaceable as a guard coming off the bench.  Other than that, everyone is back next year.  Carter has a shot at being the best PG in the Big XII next year.  The other ray of hope is that despite a poor shooting performance last night, and a handful of other times this season, this years' team was a much better shooting team than the last one - and if you look at the youngest guys on the team - West, Bolden, Bender - they are all shooters.  West killed me missing some wide open looks last night from 3 but I've seen him hit those before and he's just a freshman.  He'll get better.  Anyway, if WVU can maintain the same level of defensive intensity and continue to improve as an offensive squad then next years' team has the potential to be even better than this one.  It'll have plenty of veterans and the young guys should help continue the trend of better scoring.  

Edited by S John

Jebus. I'm tied for 2nd now. How the hell did that happen? Monkey with a Dartboard making moves.;)

4 hours ago, S John said:

More or less agree.  I give Gonzaga's half court D a lot of credit.  They were a real pain in the ass.  WVU did shoot very poorly, the entire game :bang:, but Gonzaga did a good job of not giving up anything easy.  Was a defensive battle with neither O really clicking and WVU got edged out at the end.  That last 3 from Gonzaga... even though there was still about 1 minute left it just had the feel of a dagger type shot.  We were shooting so poorly overall that overcoming a 3 point deficit in the clutch actually felt a bit out of reach to me, and unfortunately it was.  I think if you play that game 10 times, WVU takes half of them, but someone had to win.

As to the future outlook.  WVU is going to miss Adrian from a leadership standpoint, but he is the only significant loss.  Meyers has been great in flashes and is super like-able but certainly not irreplaceable as a guard coming off the bench.  Other than that, everyone is back next year.  Carter has a shot at being the best PG in the Big XII next year.  The other ray of hope is that despite a poor shooting performance last night, and a handful of other times this season, this years' team was a much better shooting team than the last one - and if you look at the youngest guys on the team - West, Bolden, Bender - they are all shooters.  West killed me missing some wide open looks last night from 3 but I've seen him hit those before and he's just a freshman.  He'll get better.  Anyway, if WVU can maintain the same level of defensive intensity and continue to improve as an offensive squad then next years' team has the potential to be even better than this one.  It'll have plenty of veterans and the young guys should help continue the trend of better scoring.  

Plus ttwo great recruits coming in (Nebraska POY (forget his name, Teddy something, who could replace Adrian maybe, but is more of a 2 or 3. Said he could be a 5 star by end of year.) And a point guard from Hargrave, that Huggs likens to a Staten with a jump shot. Plus, I'm sure the trend will continue of getting highly rated JUCO players who fill a roll. I also think Konate (sp) has a chance to be a really great big man.

Posted (edited)

Watching Pit, and Tony K said WVU shot 27% from the field...... like I said, only team that could beat us is us and that's what happened. Tony K said, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but if WVU shoots 29%, they win that game. I knew it's what would end up beating us, and it fucking pisses me off. Rant over. 

Edited by Michael Seswatha Jordan