House Frey fans... bad news :(

Tom Cruise

" but in the course of time, mountains rise and fall, rivers change their courses, stars fall from the sky, and great cities sink beneath the sea. Even gods die, we think. Everything changes. "

I'm thinking the reason no one had built a major crossing over the green fork until the Frey's is that most folks understood the course of that river changes.  

Without providing any solid textual evidence, I want to throw it out there that I think this will happen again.  The green fork will chagne it's course and the Frey's will be left with a nice bridge over nothing.  I feel this way because it's very satisfying to do so.

There really is quite a lot of punch to that single line quote above.  I feel like each part of that will come true in our narrative, on top of the in world history examples we also have.

Rivers take a long long time to silt up or change course. Pi-Ramses (sp?) was on a branch of the Nile that silted up. They moved that capital to Tanis later but it was hundreds of thousands of years later (don't remember which).

Short of a large earthquake or another hammer of the waters, I don't see the river changing course. There doesn't seem to be much volcanic activity in the area.

2 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Rivers take a long long time to silt up or change course. Pi-Ramses (sp?) was on a branch of the Nile that silted up. They moved that capital to Tanis later but it was hundreds of thousands of years later (don't remember which).

Short of a large earthquake or another hammer of the waters, I don't see the river changing course. There doesn't seem to be much volcanic activity in the area.

I think either or both are possible really. I don't recall who suggested it, but "waking giants from the earth" could be an old-world reference to earthquakes. 

2 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

I think a massive flood of water (spring melt from a bad winter) or even a few meteor strikes could speed that up very quickly.

Sorry Frey Fan.  

That would be bad news for the entire Riverlands, not just the Freys.

3 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

I'm thinking the reason no one had built a major crossing over the green fork until the Frey's is that most folks understood the course of that river changes.  

The Freys built that bridge 600 years ago. Are you really saying that the reason no one else built a bridge before then is that they expected the River to change course in 6 centuries time?

If that is the case more fool them as that bridge has turned the Freys from a small insignificant House to the second or first most powerful House in the Riverlands.  

3 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

Without providing any solid textual evidence, I want to throw it out there that I think this will happen again.  The green fork will chagne it's course and the Frey's will be left with a nice bridge over nothing.  I feel this way because it's very satisfying to do so.

The Freys may well have only started off with a bridge but they used those incomes and dependable stronghold to make themselves rulers of a huge swathe of land. We have seen in the books that some of their lands stretch all the way to the blue Fork. 

The bridge makes them rich, but it is the lands that make them powerful. The River changing course merely drops them a few places in the Riverlands hierarchy, a meteor strike (on the level you are suggesting) fucks up the entire Riverlands.  

54 minutes ago, Bernie Mac said:

That would be bad news for the entire Riverlands, not just the Freys.

The Freys built that bridge 600 years ago. Are you really saying that the reason no one else built a bridge before then is that they expected the River to change course in 6 centuries time?

If that is the case more fool them as that bridge has turned the Freys from a small insignificant House to the second or first most powerful House in the Riverlands.  

The Freys may well have only started off with a bridge but they used those incomes and dependable stronghold to make themselves rulers of a huge swathe of land. We have seen in the books that some of their lands stretch all the way to the blue Fork. 

The bridge makes them rich, but it is the lands that make them powerful. The River changing course merely drops them a few places in the Riverlands hierarchy, a meteor strike (on the level you are suggesting) fucks up the entire Riverlands.  

Yes!  That is what I'm suggesting.... just wanted to point out that Frey fans will not be happy.  

1 hour ago, prcxfo said:

And the neck could become whole,riverrun could dry up and casterly rock could get shattered,my point here is, what's yours? Anyways it's still a good castle.

Without the green fork between the twins it's not really useful.  

A lot of money can be made and power and influence amassed before the river diverts around the Twin Towers. Six hundred years so far, and going strong? Seems a smart investment to me. And, if Walder plays his cards right, he'd have plenty of resources to rebuild to whereever the river goes.

Yeah, after it remained in the same place for centuries, Green Fork will surely suddenly change its course during the course of the series (no pun intended). And meanwhile, House Frey has larger problems to think of - namely that everyone hates them and few bloodthirsty people are hunting them down.

It's funny how the thought is so easily dismissed.  The post was done more for fun of discussion, than being serious.

However, I actually REALLY DO think the green fork will changes its course before the series end.  Also, for those of you that seem to think that type of thing takes thousands or millions of years to happen you are dead wrong.  Rivers change their courses from year to year all the time.  Maybe not the river next to where YOU live, but I also think that's a pretty lazy and dumb way to view the world.  As if it's just like what you see out your window.

Just for discussion sake, how many of you think you won't see another meteor shower in Westeros before series end?  

Well, lets remember that during the American Civil War the Mississippi River flowed past the town of Vicksburg, making it a location of extreme strategic importance.  Then on 26 April 1876 it abruptly changed course and no longer flows past Vicksburg. The Rio Grande used to flow through the middle of the Civil War battlefield of Valverde, again the river changed course and it no longer does.  In fact the Rio Grande near El Paso (where it begins to form the border between the United States and Mexico) changed course many times (it, like the Nile was especially prone to spring floods).  In fact a long standing dispute over a course change in the river that occurred in 1864 led to a  high level meeting in El Paso between American President Taft and Mexican President Diaz that led to an attempt to assassinate one or both of them.  That dispute wouldn't be settled until JFK accepted and LBJ pushed through the Chamizal Treaty.  So yes, sometimes it may take hundreds or thousands of years for a river to change course but sometimes it can happen overnight.

4 minutes ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

Well, lets remember that during the American Civil War the Mississippi flowed past the town of Vicksburg, making it a location of extreme strategic importance.  Then on 26 April 1876 it abruptly changed course and no longer flows past Vicksburg. 

Indeed. Mississippi is a well studied cause. I've read about that and also that it's past time for another change of course. One day, I'll visit the Mississippi.

Also, wasn't mentioned in the series that the Trident changed its course in "historical" times, leaving certain inn in the middle of nowhere?

Archived