Would fAegons invasion work against a united Baratheon regime?

Oakhearts head

5 hours ago, devilish said:

If that's the case, Aegon will never land in Dorne cause Doran would never give him permission to do so

Right. Even though he's actively planning to aid a rebellion against the crown and per the OP Dany is staying in Slavers Bay.

Critical thinking is so much more enjoyable when you dismiss outright things you don't want to happen!

18 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Right. Even though he's actively planning to aid a rebellion against the crown and per the OP Dany is staying in Slavers Bay.

Critical thinking is so much more enjoyable when you dismiss outright things you don't want to happen!

He can aid as much as he want. If Robert is alive then 6 kingdoms will fight like one. If they fight like one than nothing would stop them. Aegon was able to invade Westeros because his dragons were enormous and the Westerosi were busy butchering one another, It won't happen with Robert in command

8 hours ago, devilish said:

He can aid as much as he want. If Robert is alive then 6 kingdoms will fight like one. If they fight like one than nothing would stop them. Aegon was able to invade Westeros because his dragons were enormous and the Westerosi were busy butchering one another, It won't happen with Robert in command

Right that's why Robert himself was worried about what would happen in a Targaryen (Dany or Viserys) came back to Westeros:

“There are still those in the Seven Kingdoms who call me Usurper. Do you forget how many houses fought for Targaryen in the war? They bide their time for now, but give them half a chance, they will murder me in my bed, and my sons with me. If the beggar king crosses with a Dothraki horde at his back, the traitors will join him.”

So we know that Doran is willing to spearhead Westerosi aid in a rebellion against Robert. We know Robert thinks the loyalists will fight against his regime. Darry still keeps/kept Targaryen banners in their castle. Viserys, fool though he is, rattles off 5-6 houses that would have plenty of reason to either stay neutral or fight with him. As much and more can apply to fAegon and JonCon. I don't pretend to know if they'd succeed but tossing out Dorne as a viable ally and landing option is beyond foolish.

On 3/21/2017 at 4:39 PM, Oakhearts head said:

If Aegon, Jon Connington and the Golden Company were to invade Westeros during a time of peace under the regime of a popular Baratheon king (likely either Robert or Renly), would the Targaryen name ultimately mean all that much? Could we expect houses that have been notoriously loyal to the Targaryen's over their near three centuries in power (namely House Tyrell, House Martell and several noble houses in the Riverlands) to join the Golden Company?

Assume Daenerys remained in Slavers Bay instead of backing Aegon.

Hmmm.

If I'm Robert, and they show up with the Golden Company, I'm immediately figuring out this kid's a Blackfyre.  Especially when the kid pulls out the sword.

If it's between Robert and a Blackfyre, Robert IS the Targaryen.

5 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Right that's why Robert himself was worried about what would happen in a Targaryen (Dany or Viserys) came back to Westeros:

“There are still those in the Seven Kingdoms who call me Usurper. Do you forget how many houses fought for Targaryen in the war? They bide their time for now, but give them half a chance, they will murder me in my bed, and my sons with me. If the beggar king crosses with a Dothraki horde at his back, the traitors will join him.”

So we know that Doran is willing to spearhead Westerosi aid in a rebellion against Robert. We know Robert thinks the loyalists will fight against his regime. Darry still keeps/kept Targaryen banners in their castle. Viserys, fool though he is, rattles off 5-6 houses that would have plenty of reason to either stay neutral or fight with him. As much and more can apply to fAegon and JonCon. I don't pretend to know if they'd succeed but tossing out Dorne as a viable ally and landing option is beyond foolish.

The beggar King ie Viserys Targeryan not some fable

A Dothraki horde not 10k army

Robert was highly popular despite his inabilities as a king and he has support from Stormlands, North, Riverlands (most), Westerlands, Crownlands and Vale.House Tyrell was rooting for Margaery marrying a Baratheon so fAegon's best chance was Dorne and few houses from the Reach and Riverlands. Any invasion against a united Baratheon regime didn't have any chance.

18 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

He was bringing 10K dothraki over and fAegon is no less a fable than the dothraki horde, who will savage westeros and enslave people, coming across the narrow sea.

fAegon is a fable (ie not a true Targ). A targ at the back of 40k Dothraki is far more credible

4 hours ago, devilish said:

fAegon is a fable (ie not a true Targ). A targ at the back of 40k Dothraki is far more credible

A fabled* Targ with JonCon at his side vs a Targ who is not going to get 40K Dothraki, merely the 10K he says. Dany is staying in Essos per OP, so it would have to be Viserys leading them.

* We don't know but strongly suspect

Probably not. Right now you have a boy as king, with an incompetent and possibly insane Queen Regent, plus a fracturing alliance with the family the king married into. The crown's forces are weary from fighting Stannis and the North. Westeros is ripe for Aegon's invasion.

The one great thing about Robert's reign is that he held the realm together.

16 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

A fabled* Targ with JonCon at his side vs a Targ who is not going to get 40K Dothraki, merely the 10K he says. Dany is staying in Essos per OP, so it would have to be Viserys leading them.

* We don't know but strongly suspect

Assuming that Illyio's Plan A worked then Viserys would have returned to Westeros at the back of a 40k army lead by a ruthless/unbeatable general. The three dragon eggs could have been used to raise an army of sellswords to top up the Dothraki Horde. With no doubts about his legitimacy or birth, Viserys would have found it easier to find alliances among the Targ loyalists and be able to marry a nobleman's daughter (Margaery?) who would then be able to bring her forces in the fray

No one knows who Aegon is and even if he had to sell his story, Targ loyalists would rather follow Viserys then him

a- Viserys is a 100% Targ. Even Robert admits that
b- He was appointed as successor by his own father the king

Both would be underdogs in a largely United Westeros lead by a proven warrior. But Id rather bet on Viserys then on this unknown dude, whose being lead by a failed hand of the king at the back of a 10k army who had its arse spanked everytime it stepped into Westeros

Archived