Varys - unusual name for characters from East

Names or surnames of characters with Eastern origin have two vowels together:

Petyr Baelish

Daario Naharis

Missandei

All Targaryen names (Aemon, etc)

Illyrio Mopatis

People from Meereen have "z" in the names. Dothraki character names have "kh" an "jh".

So my guess is that Varys is not real name of eunuch.

6 minutes ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

Better not tell Euron, or Aeron, or Margaery, or Brienne, or Jaime. 

But anyway, it's almost a given that Varys is not his real name. Of course it wouldn't be. That's probably just the name he adopted when he first joined Aerys' court. And if his origin story is to be believed, I doubt he even knows his birth name. 

9 minutes ago, Renly's Banana said:

Better not tell Euron, or Aeron, or Margaery, or Brienne, or Jaime. 

To be fair, OP said that Eastern names have vowels together, not that all names with vowels together are Eastern names.

To the point, though, during the Dance of the Dragons there was a Master of Whisperers names Larys Strong (of Harrenhal) who supposedly spirited away the royal kids from King's Landing. The parallel is not exactly subtle, but I would guess that Varys took on his name as an homage to Larys when reaching Aerys' court as the new Master of Whisperers. Originally, it seems to be a Westerosi construction, so, good catch.

26 minutes ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

Drogo.

From Qarro Volentin, the First Sword of Braavos, to Brusco the Fishmonger and Tagganaro the Cutpurse.

The Slaver's Bay, all thoze Zo Somezing and Vo Somevat.

And Dany's court: Strong Belwas, the bloodriders:Jhogo, Aggo and Rakharo, Reznak Mo Reznak, Skahaz Mo Kandaq, Irri, Ser Barry's squires: Tumco Lho and Larraq...

And many, many more, just look at the appendix.

All in all, there's not one universal Essosi pattern, and certainly not the one you spotted.

1 hour ago, thereticent said:

To be fair, OP said that Eastern names have vowels together, not that all names with vowels together are Eastern names.

To the point, though, during the Dance of the Dragons there was a Master of Whisperers names Larys Strong (of Harrenhal) who supposedly spirited away the royal kids from King's Landing. The parallel is not exactly subtle, but I would guess that Varys took on his name as an homage to Larys when reaching Aerys' court as the new Master of Whisperers. Originally, it seems to be a Westerosi construction, so, good catch.

A neat idea, but how did Varys know he was gonna have to take Aegon out of King's Landing years before any of that happened?

1 hour ago, Renly's Banana said:

A neat idea, but how did Varys know he was gonna have to take Aegon out of King's Landing years before any of that happened?

Sorry for being unclear. I think Varys took the name only because of the Master of Whisperers position, not because of the child smuggling. I think the child smuggling by Larys was included by George in order to make readers wonder about Varys.

Archived