Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, TEN-POCALYPSE

JonCon's Red Beard

Certain combinations of letters now have no other meaning to me: e g. my keys have LSH printed on them.  This is Lady Stoneheart and nothing else.

Kit Harrington soppiness nearly ruined Jon Snow for me (even though he's a local lad and I've been told he's a nice guy).

I really, really don't want Ned to have a bastard because I don't like the trope of the tortured hero with the regretful past.

And finally, this is crazy talk, but I don't think there is a PtwP or AAR.  I would like the prophesy to be bunkum like it mostly is in real life.

Dany is the one who makes Meereen boring. Once she left Meereen and other characters started to narrate it's story, the Meereenese storyline actually became interesting, I started to care about the city's politics and now I actually want to see its resolution. I am now afraid that Dany will return there and make the resolution dull.

Confession:  I wish the "ten" joke of this Confessions thread alluded to Cersei's ten lost dromonds.  Heh. 

Confession 2: As much as I prefer POV stories as opposed to fHistory stories, I'm seriously looking forward to Sons of the Dragon when it comes out.  

Well, the thread that I was writing this response for - in opposition to all of the negativity - was locked as I was typing. Sooo, I figured this would be as good as any place to post this.

My confession: I believe, if not wholeheartedly, then with hopeful optimism that...

WoW is complete, and aDoS is near completion. I'm just waiting for the anoncement that the latter will be released within a year of the former. And, before the completion of the abomination.

Yes, I am a sweet summer child, however that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I constantly hear: "why is it taking so long?", as well as other such questions. I prefer to ask the more pertinent question: How is it that GRRM has managed to write five amazingly brilliant, multi layered, and unbelievably intricate books - that have managed to transcend the genre and encaptured such a loyal, passionate and ever stretching fan base - in only the short time that he has?

Take all the time you need GRRM; I'm absolutely positive the wait will be worth it.

I hate how most of the endgame theories assume Jon will be perfectly normal or could function as a normal man. 

I have always thought if Jon returns from the dead it is only temporarily. If he returned he will be treated as the ones who returned from death with all the doubts associated with it. He can't function as a normal human being and he will be more oriented towards his goals like all the resurrected people that there is no personal life beyond it. I also believe he can't father children. I believe death will have a permanent effect on him which will cripple him from being a normal human being and turns him into a man who will do what needs to be done. And I also believe he will not become the endgame king. His undeadness will not allow him to function as a king and Martin will have a way to stop that. I think he could become the king of death. Yeah the new Night's king. 

36 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

I hate how most of the endgame theories assume Jon will be perfectly normal or could function as a normal man. 

I have always thought if Jon returns from the dead it is only temporarily. If he returned he will be treated as the ones who returned from death with all the doubts associated with it. He can't function as a normal human being and he will be more oriented towards his goals like all the resurrected people that there is no personal life beyond it. I also believe he can't father children. I believe death will have a permanent effect on him which will cripple him from being a normal human being and turns him into a man who will do what needs to be done. And I also believe he will not become the endgame king. His undeadness will not allow him to function as a king and Martin will have a way to stop that. I think he could become the king of death. Yeah the new Night's king. 

Amen.  If and when he comes back I will be playing close attention to whether his wounds are healing properly, whether he is eating normally, sleeping normally, or taking an interest in the opposite (or any) sex, and perhaps most importantly whether there is any alteration in his relationship with Ghost.  My prediction is that the first three will be OK but not the other two.

10 hours ago, khal drogon said:

I agree. 

19 hours ago, khal drogon said:

Yup.

I also think one of the big endpiece battles will take place at the Twins with Jon leading the armies of the dead against a small force of whoever is left in the South.  Sansa and the Knights of Vale will be the strongest contingent.  As far as I know I'm the only person ever to suggest this (probably cause I'm dead wrong).

On 11.4.2017 at 4:23 AM, Darkstream said:

Well, the thread that I was writing this response for - in opposition to all of the negativity - was locked as I was typing. Sooo, I figured this would be as good as any place to post this.

My confession: I believe, if not wholeheartedly, then with hopeful optimism that...

WoW is complete, and aDoS is near completion. I'm just waiting for the anoncement that the latter will be released within a year of the former. And, before the completion of the abomination.

Yes, I am a sweet summer child, however that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Well I don't believe ADOs is near completion, but 

On 11.4.2017 at 4:23 AM, Darkstream said:

I constantly hear: "why is it taking so long?", as well as other such questions. I prefer to ask the more pertinent question: How is it that GRRM has managed to write five amazingly brilliant; multi layered; and unbelievably intricate books - that have managed to transcend the genre and encaptured such a loyal, passionate and ever stretching fan base - in only the short time that he has?

Take all the time you need GRRM; I'm absolutely positive the wait will be worth it.

Amen to that. I couldn't agree more GRRM can take as long as he needs. 

11 hours ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

Well I don't believe ADOs is near completion, but 

Ah well, you can't blame a guy for having a dream of spring...Can ya? :D

Of course I'm being somewhat ingenuous; That's just my ever optimistic nature shining through. I do feel however, that there is a strong possibility that GRRM may have made some progress on certain sections of aDoS. Perhaps working on some povs for a Dream - that he has less trouble writing, or just enjoys writing more - while taking a break from some that may have been causing him to stumble a bit in WoW. :dunno: *fingers crossed*

I don't think Baelish talked Joffrey into killing Ned. I think Joff's idiocy and desire to be strong lead him to do it. Like sending the catspaw (Joff is still the most plausible candidate). Martin showing how giving huge power to a idiot kid can undo so much for the pawns and players alike.

I have seen theories that it was Baelish using "suggestion." Nothing is conclusive in these theories and I don't see how it could be shown in the book.  

My confession is i couldn't give less of a s**t who sits the iron throne. For me that whole bit will be redundant by the end of the book. i suspect kings landing will be a ruin anyway.

and

Dany and Jon get married? that would be so generic, Il be very disappointed if that's a plot point. I'm hoping that by the time she gets to Westeros we will be in the depth of winter and kings landing is a ruin covered in snow. it wont be worth the boat ride.

and

i always assumed Cersei's prophesy about 'another younger and more beautiful' actually meant Marcela. which i thought would be a nice twist and again show prophesy to be unreliable. But she got killed by D&D so i was probably on the wrong track.

and on a side note

that the bear and the maiden fair is Jaime and Brienne, Jaime being the maiden fair. 

I'm so torn on the whole Varys/Illyrio/Aegon deal. 

On the one hand, I kinda dig the idea of Blackfyre revenge after so many defeats, but I'm not sure if I want Varys to be a BF or any sort of Targ offshoot because the idea of Varys and Illyrio being lowborn conmen taking over a kingdom really appeals to me. 

Confession 1: I hated how GRRM wrote Ygritte's death. I think he didn't have to write "Ygritte/she said, dying." -- or something, sorry, too lazy to look for the exact words -- and instead just ended it at "Oh, you know nothing, Jon Snow.". It's very minor but it bugged me during my first reread that I didn't continue for a time. 

Confession 2: I think Melisandre in Season 6 was super hot. I don't follow the show, but I just saw season 6 a few days back and now I think I'm going to watch season 7 for Mel...

On 30/03/2017 at 2:01 AM, HoodedCrow said:

Thanks, Darkstream.

That whole thread about Lyanna has some interesting ideas that never occurred to me! However, I do wonder if Bran or Bloodraven encouraged Lyanna to run off with Rhaegar or have a child that would save humanity, from a more fluid perspective of time, and using weirwood technology. I don't know some of Martin's other works.

I didn't read the thread you speak about. But I always found Lyanna's behaviour strange and premeditated at the tourney. It is my feeling, that perhaps, Bloodraven put things in her head. Maybe he really talked to her thru Winterfell's weirwood. Something so she would be noticed by Rhaegar at the tourney. I can't believe she defeated knights without a long preparation.

On 14/04/2017 at 5:43 AM, Lord Wraith said:

I don't think Baelish talked Joffrey into killing Ned. I think Joff's idiocy and desire to be strong lead him to do it. Like sending the catspaw (Joff is still the most plausible candidate). Martin showing how giving huge power to a idiot kid can undo so much for the pawns and players alike.

I have seen theories that it was Baelish using "suggestion." Nothing is conclusive in these theories and I don't see how it could be shown in the book.  

The contrary for me. I like the idea. Littlefinger having his revenge against the man who stole the only woman he loved. Joffrey the weak fool. Manipulated like the other pawns of the game.

I believe many things will remain to debate when the books will be done. And it is a good thing. This subject could be one of them.

Archived