Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, TEN-POCALYPSE

JonCon's Red Beard

This is my (slightly embarrassing) confession: During my first read-through of ASOIAF, there were some major details I didn't pay attention to or read wrong, and I didn't realise my mistake until later. 

All during the AGOT, I somehow didn't realise Dany was on another continent. I kept on searching for the Dothraki Sea on the Westeros maps and wondered why I couldn't find it. 

Until I read a wiki page about Tyrion, I thought he had black hair instead of silver blonde. Afterward, I understood why people were making Tyrion Targaryen theories. 

When Tyrion visited the Wall, Aemon calls him a giant. I didn't get the memo that Aemon was blind, but I remembered reading about Tyrion being a dwarf. I decided that Tyrion was actually a big man, and all that stuff about being a dwarf was either symbolism or my brain making things up. I realised my mistake I think during the next Tyrion chapter, and things made a lot more sense. 

All during AGOT and part of ACOK, I thought Theon was a 60 year old man instead of a youth of 19/20. I thought "ward" meant "servant".

When Theon reunites with Asha, this happens

"Every word you spoke to me was a lie."

"Not every word. Remember when I told you I like to be on top?" Asha grinned.

That only made him angrier. "All that about being a woman wed, and new with child . . ."

"Oh, that part was true enough." Asha leapt to her feet. "Rolfe, here," she shouted down at one of the finger dancers, holding up a hand. He saw her, spun, and suddenly an axe came flying from his hand, the blade gleaming as it tumbled end over end through the torchlight. Theon had time for a choked gasp before Asha snatched the axe from the air and slammed it down into the table, splitting his trencher in two and splattering his mantle with drippings. "There's my lord husband." His sister reached down inside her gown and drew a dirk from between her breasts. "And here's my sweet suckling babe."

I thought that meant Asha was pregnant with a child for real, and the man who threw her the axe was the husband. I was still waiting for her to give birth in ADWD before I realised she didn't literally mean she was wed and with child in ACOK.

Hi folks, first post ever, but been lurking here for months.

Okay, here goes...

I secretly think that Leyton Hightower is the new R'hlorr.  All that time spent up the tower with that big flame and all those magic books can't be healthy.  How old is he anyway?  Was he already up there when Varys attended the worst weenie-roast ever? 

Magic been waking up all over the world... maybe he assumed the role of the old-timey R'hlorr, like when a dentist retires and some young guy buys his old practice and assumes his portfolio. 

Ooh, or maybe Leyton was poking around in the wrong place and opened a door in the fire and something came through and grabbed him?

No one's seen his daughter either, right?  Maybe he sacrificed her to the flames to complete his ascension.

Haha thanks guys.

30 minutes ago, Reginald blackfield said:

I actually enjoyed the Slavers Bay chapters in ADWD. Although it may be because I am interested in the Ancient Near East.

I think what the George was doing with Jon and Daenerys in Dance was exploring the complexity of rule. He had criticized Tolkien for omitting that. 

And more barn! 

1 hour ago, Reginald blackfield said:

I actually enjoyed the Slavers Bay chapters in ADWD. Although it may be because I am interested in the Ancient Near East.

I didn't like it much the first time, I'm afraid to say,  until I read 'untangling the meereenese knot' and now I do. 

I do appreciate all the essays and work some of you put into this. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

The Kindle edition says the whole book is 544 pages. There are 16 stories. I've never liked math, but I hate this math. Do we know how many words 'Sons of the Dragon' is?

We will find out for sure in five days. 

On 10/5/2017 at 8:38 AM, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

The Kindle edition says the whole book is 544 pages. There are 16 stories. I've never liked math, but I hate this math. Do we know how many words 'Sons of the Dragon' is?

On 10/5/2017 at 9:46 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

We will find out for sure in five days.

Someone on /r/asoiaf who received their copy early said The Sons of the Dragon is about 41 pages in length.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What Dany does to Doreah is rape. (not that I really blame her since she's a confused 13 years old who is herself being raped every night)

On 28/10/2017 at 6:00 AM, Yet Another ASOIAF Fan said:

I apologize if anyone takes offense at this, but I always imagine Selyse having a handlebar mustache similar to the one Stalin had .

That. . . would make Selyse kind of awesome. 

Archived