Why Tywin doesn't use Faceless men to kill Stannis

In the first book, Faceless men were option for killing Daenerys.

Ned bowed, and turned on his heel without another word. He could feel Robert’s eyes on his back. As he strode from the council chambers, the discussion resumed with scarcely a pause. “On Braavos there is a society called the Faceless Men,” Grand Maester Pycelle offered.

“Do you have any idea how costly they are?” Littlefinger complained. “You could hire an army of common sellswords for half the price, and that’s for a merchant. I don’t dare think what they might ask for a princess.”

Ironically, Jagen H'ghar may be in the dungeon of KL during this dialogue.

Is there possibility that Pycelle knows about Faceless men but Tywin doesn't know? Why Tywin doesn't think the same thing for Stannis?

• Tywin has money.
  • Tywin has experience with smiliar groups like Brave Companions in Riverlands. 
  • Also kingdom has debt to Iron Bank of Braavos. Lannisters cannot pay back because of war with Stannis. So even Iron Bank  can do it themselves if they want their money back quickly.

The problem is that the Faceless Men don't have a fixed price tag for a hit. They will demand that the buyer pretty much gives up the best parts of his or her life for a hit and Tywin is unlikely to be so obsessed with Stannis that Casterly Rock, his gold or his grandchildren on the Iron Throne will be worth to get Stannis killed. And its not like Stannis did in the end turn out to be such a great problem either.

4 minutes ago, LionoftheWest said:

The problem is that the Faceless Men don't have a fixed price tag for a hit. They will demand that the buyer pretty much gives up the best parts of his or her life for a hit and Tywin is unlikely to be so obsessed with Stannis that Casterly Rock, his gold or his grandchildren on the Iron Throne will be worth to get Stannis killed. And its not like Stannis did in the end turn out to be such a great problem either.

May be Tyrion and Joeffrey can be worth to get Stannis killed.

16 minutes ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

May be Tyrion and Joeffrey can be worth to get Stannis killed.

Thing is that Tywin don't value them very highely, or at least Tyrion, so while Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella could be a price that Tywin would have to pay, I don't think that he would be ready to pay it. I don't think the Faceless Men would be satisfied with only Joffrey though.

Yeop pretty much, they'd ask for Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella. Tywin's legacy for Stannis' legacy.

Tywin is many horrible things, but he's no so blinded by hate that he would destroy himself just to destroy his enemy. It's Cersei who would be so dumb, but even with her a LOT more would have to happen before she gives up her kids just to kill a single enemy of hers.

Tywin wasn't even part of the discussion you quoted. As far as I can tell he's never advocated using the Faceless Men. Why would he give up a fortune to solve problems he can very easily handle himself? Stannis wasn't a threat after the Blackwater and Dany is hardly even worth thinking of at the other side of the world.

38 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Tywin wasn't even part of the discussion you quoted. As far as I can tell he's never advocated using the Faceless Men. Why would he give up a fortune to solve problems he can very easily handle himself? Stannis wasn't a threat after the Blackwater and Dany is hardly even worth thinking of at the other side of the world.

Plus, I would say hiring The Faceless Men doesn't comport with Tywin's style or way of doing things. At least, that's what I got from the character in both the books and show. He just doesn't seem like the "Hey let's hatch an assassination conspiracy with a foreign hitman to dispose of a rebel so we can make it look like it wasn't us" type.

But that's just me though.

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

Yeop pretty much, they'd ask for Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella. Tywin's legacy for Stannis' legacy.

Tywin is many horrible things, but he's no so blinded by hate that he would destroy himself just to destroy his enemy. It's Cersei who would be so dumb, but even with her a LOT more would have to happen before she gives up her kids just to kill a single enemy of hers.

The Waif's story is the only indication that the FM even accept children, let alone require them, and that appears to have been a special case resulting from the Waif's injuries from the previous assassination attempt.  In that case, everyone came out ahead, with the FM getting an acolyte, the Waif getting a useful position, and the father no longer having to figure out what to do with his injured daughter.  

Given Tywin's wealth, Stannis's prominence, and the likely difficulty of carrying out the assassination, I expect they would demand a prohibitively large amount of money, and Tywin has no reason to believe that he can't get rid of Stannis through normal, military means, so I doubt he would consider it worth the expense.

When and why?

• Before he acquires Renly's men his main power is his fleet and cannot even come close to matching Tywin's power on land. 
  • After he gains Renly's men he quickly marches on King's Landing and is defeated by Tywin and the Tyrells anyway. 
  • After the Blackwater Stannis' power to challenge the Iron Throne is more or less broken, it's simply a matter of besieging or blockading Dragonstone. 
  • After Stannis heads north he's barely even on the radar anymore, a problem for Roose to deal with. 

I doubt the thought ever crossed his mind because Stannis' death simply doesn't warrant such a huge investment on Tywin's part. 

1 hour ago, Trigger Warning said:

When and why?

• Before he acquires Renly's men his main power is his fleet and cannot even come close to matching Tywin's power on land. 
  • After he gains Renly's men he quickly marches on King's Landing and is defeated by Tywin and the Tyrells anyway. 
  • After the Blackwater Stannis' power to challenge the Iron Throne is more or less broken, it's simply a matter of besieging or blockading Dragonstone. 
  • After Stannis heads north he's barely even on the radar anymore, a problem for Roose to deal with. 

I doubt the thought ever crossed his mind because Stannis' death simply doesn't warrant such a huge investment on Tywin's part. 

Nailed it.

9 hours ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

In the first book, Faceless men were option for killing Daenerys.

Ironically, Jagen H'ghar may be in the dungeon of KL during this dialogue.

Is there possibility that Pycelle knows about Faceless men but Tywin doesn't know? Why Tywin doesn't think the same thing for Stannis?

• Tywin has money.
  • Tywin has experience with smiliar groups like Brave Companions in Riverlands. 
  • Also kingdom has debt to Iron Bank of Braavos. Lannisters cannot pay back because of war with Stannis. So even Iron Bank  can do it themselves if they want their money back quickly.

People don't stay wealthy by throwing their money away. It would take the wealth of a king to have a faceless man kill a king. 

Archived