Most complex relationship of asoiaf

7 hours ago, prcxfo said:

1: That's average and pretty much expected from everyone,not clever clever is someone like littlefinger.

2: And it's Tywin's job to oversee everything from education to future marriages and so on,speaking for myself i know i wouldn't want to bother with a dwarf/cripple.

3:I disagree about that,he isn't shown as very intelligent,self conscious yes normal intelligence yes but don't make him into a bond genius,also what about any of his children? There's a high chance they'll be dwarfs too.

4: How does that concern me? Why should i care that he's depressed,that he's been lonely and that his father and sister dislike him? Or about any of his other problems?

As i said i do get it,i just don't care one bit about it. I have read some of the booksya not all but some,next time go call your father and mother stupid...

Are you a troll?

I agree with all of the posters ideas.  There are certainly many complex relationships between the characters in these books.

I would like to add the Ned - Cat - Jon relationship in Winterfell as one of the more complex relationships in the story.

That's average and pretty much expected from everyone

It is most definitely not expected of everyone to be successful at everything they do like Tyrion is

And it's Tywin's job to oversee everything from education to future marriages and so on,speaking for myself i know i wouldn't want to bother with a dwarf/cripple.

Even though he offers more benefit to him than his other two children combined, Tywin was just too blind to see that, right up until he died. He doesn't fully grasp fully how useful Tyrion could be, even when he does appoint him acting Hand of the King

I disagree about that,he isn't shown as very intelligent,self conscious yes normal intelligence yes but don't make him into a bond genius

Are you sure you have read the books, even Tywin admits Tyrion is highly intelligent

How does that concern me? Why should i care that he's depressed,that he's been lonely and that his father and sister dislike him? Or about any of his other problems?

Because you said one of your reasons for understanding Tywin's hate of Tyrion was Tyrion's constant whoring, yet its Tywin's abuse of Tyrion that led to him whoring as it is one of the only ways he can cope with the depression his life is. He evens says that whoring and drinking are his ways of coping himself. 

On 3/22/2017 at 3:41 PM, FreeWifi said:

Tyrion and Tywin was the first one to come to mind. They are so much alike in personality except that Tyrion isn't as judgmental as Tywin, and Tywin is able to control his baser instincts a little better than his son. And despite the fact that  Shae was found in Tywin's bed in ASOS, I cannot imagine Tywin ever falling in love with a low-born whore.....or getting drunk.  I loathe Tywin Lannister and was so glad when Tyrion put that bolt through his father's gut. Poetic justice.

Another complex relationship is Robert and Stannis. Stannis suffered from middle child syndrome and was secretly jealous of his exceptional older brother. That's obvious....but I have no idea why Robert didn't like Stannis. Stannis almost died holding his brother's castle, and he took Dragonstone from the Targs and smashed the Ironborn in a brilliant trap during the Greyjoy Rebellion. I would think that a warrior like Robert would appreciate the tenacity of his younger brother. Instead we find that Robert was contemptuous and dismissive of Stannis ......to the point of naming his most useless brother as lord of SE just to spite Stannis.

So much could have been avoided if only Robert had loved and treated his little brother better.

Other than the bolded statement I totally agree with you. But the fact is Robert made Stannis his heir presumptive when he handed him Dragonstone. Stannis, blinded by his jealousy, couldn't see that. He also made use of his brother on the small council as master of ships although Stannis was like 20 years old. Like Tyrion, Stannis was so busy resenting Robert that he never saw the appreciation that Robert had for his talents.

Any pair in Tywin and Joanna's family. Also Kevin-Tywin has some subtle aspects that only surface after Tywin's death.

There are some people like Theon and Tyrion who end up having complex relationships with most people close to them. Nothing straightforward is going to happen with them.

The unspoken/not yet fully written about relationships notwithstanding, I've got to think that Jon's relationship with Ned is pretty damn complicated. I mean, his respect for his fake father has influenced so much of his decision making in the story. Some of it was for the good, some of it certainly wasn't. And that's just looking at the relationship from Jon's perspective of assuming Ned is his father. Once you consider the "fact" that he really was just an Uncle/Protector the relationship becomes even more cloudy with regards to how Jon should feel about him and how he has acted based on the false assumption they are father and son.

On 2017-03-22 at 7:21 PM, Brandon Baratheon said:

For me, Tyrion and Tywin. They are reason why I started to read the books after watching GOT.

Fun topic!

1 Cersei and Jaime (weirdest)

2 the Mountain and the Hound (most conflicted)

3 Cersei and Joffrey (psychopathic-happy-family-complex)

4 Dany and Jorah (I'm just waiting for his devotion to sour)

5 the Hound and Stark sisters (most unexpected)

Archived