Satin

TheSeer27

I made a post in re-read project but realized I probably should have put it here.

Who is he and who is he working for? Its said he came from a brothel in Old Town, which of course reeks of Marwyn. But would Marwyn need eyes at the Wall? Well it is a magical place, so it does make sense. But it seems Satin definitely had something to do with Jon being murdered. Satin was very bad at keeping Jon's fires lit, which means he was off doing something else. Possibly conferring with whoever he is working for. Also, it was odd that when he was being attacked, Jon couldn't get Long Claw out of its scabbard. Which very well could have been planned. If you are going to murder someone it makes sense to disarm them without their knowing. Of course Satin being Jon's squire would be the prime suspect. He handles Jon's sword all the time. But it doesn't seem like Satin was working with the mutiny of the NW that stabbed Jon. They all were very much against Jon taking him on as a squire, and generally looked down on him for being a whore. So, what's going on here?

8 minutes ago, TheSeer27 said:

I made a post in re-read project but realized I probably should have put it here.

Who is he and who is he working for? Its said he came from a brothel in Old Town, which of course reeks of Marwyn. But would Marwyn need eyes at the Wall? Well it is a magical place, so it does make sense. But it seems Satin definitely had something to do with Jon being murdered. Satin was very bad at keeping Jon's fires lit, which means he was off doing something else. Possibly conferring with whoever he is working for. Also, it was odd that when he was being attacked, Jon couldn't get Long Claw out of its scabbard. Which very well could have been planned. If you are going to murder someone it makes sense to disarm them without their knowing. Of course Satin being Jon's squire would be the prime suspect. He handles Jon's sword all the time. But it doesn't seem like Satin was working with the mutiny of the NW that stabbed Jon. They all were very much against Jon taking him on as a squire, and generally looked down on him for being a whore. So, what's going on here?

Is there anything wrong with the idea that Satin is a boy whore who decided that the Wall was a better option than the other possibilities open to him?  Not everybody has to have a secret identity or agenda, and I don't see Satin as being an important enough character to have one in any case.  

Besides, I think there is enough of that sort of thing going around anyway.  I practically need a scorecard to keep track of the secret identities and agendas that are already known, or for which there are substantial clues.

Satin was born and educated in a brothel from Old Town, but he comes from Gulltown, so he was perhaps one of the very young boys that Lyn Corbray desires (yes, Lyn Corbray is not gay, he is pedophile), and was sent to the Wall because he was becoming an adult. Surely, he is one of the victims of LF's whore's trafic. 

1 minute ago, GloubieBoulga said:

Satin was born and educated in a brothel from Old Town, but he comes from Gulltown, so he was perhaps one of the very young boys that Lyn Corbray desires (yes, Lyn Corbray is not gay, he is pedophile), and was sent to the Wall because he was becoming an adult. Surely, he is one of the victims of LF's whore's trafic. 

Yea I found this out after I did a little research. Interesting about Lyn Corbray.

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2017 at 6:29 PM, GloubieBoulga said:

It isn't confirmed anywhere that Lyn is a pedophile, people just tend to think the worst of him. Martin has said as much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2017 at 6:09 PM, TheSeer27 said:

He was, almost as if he wasn't used to doing this kind of thing. And he's also one of very few men at CB who can read and write (after a fashion). Enough to make one wonder whether Satin isn't just a random commoner. 

But I don't believe he was involved in the assassination attempt, nor that he is working for/with someone else. I also place him firmly on Jon's side. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a little too realistic that an organization that has almost certainly had it's share of gay activity vilifies the one who may or may not even be gay, just that he was raised as a whore. It's just the EEEEEEKKKK gay! that basically summarized our society's attitude towards the subject for the greater part of the modern era.

• 11 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:09 PM, TheSeer27 said:

Satin does not have much experience keeping fires or tending to armor. There isn't much call for that in a brothel.

And Jon cannot draw his sword becomes there is something wrong with his fingers, which had grown "stiff and clumsy." Maybe somehow Satin was responsible for that, but there is no more reason to suspect him than anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

He could just be a boy who ended up at the Nights Watch, there really doesn't have to be a conspiracy behind everything. From what little information we know about him, Jon has probably been one of the kindest people to him, and despite being older probably looks up to Jon in some way. That would explain why he chose to say his vows in front of the Old Gods, instead of in a Sept, which would make the most sense with him coming from the Reach. 

• 3 weeks later...

Satin is a beloved character among Jon fans (myself included). I think Satin will be the one who saves Jon's body and preserves it in the ice cells - a really important job! There's no one else at the Wall to do that because I think Mel is storming off to try and save Stannis.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that whole OP as "Satan". 

Boy was I confused! 

There was a laundry list of legitimate complaints against Jon before the stabbing...winter stores, sealing the gate, wildlings, Alys Karstark's uncle, sending rangers out who return without bodies, organizing another great ranging to Handhome, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. It's almost like Jon was too good to address any of the concerns for the whole book of Dance. He literally pissed off builders, stewards, and rangers.

I feel like Satin was one of the only people the book didn't give just cause to, but there's always room for one more secret identity ;)

On 9/28/2018 at 4:48 PM, John Suburbs said:

Satin does not have much experience keeping fires or tending to armor. There isn't much call for that in a brothel.

And Jon cannot draw his sword becomes there is something wrong with his fingers, which had grown "stiff and clumsy." Maybe somehow Satin was responsible for that, but there is no more reason to suspect him than anyone else.

There is also a bit of foreshadowing in D&E that blades will stick in scabbards, and there is foreshadowing in Clash on the ineptitude of his burned hand.

Jon II aCOK

If he let his sword hand stiffen and grow clumsy, it well might be the end of him, he knew. A man needed his sword beyond the Wall.

Jon XIII aDWD

Jon reached for Longclaw, but his fingers had grown stiff and clumsy. Somehow he could not seem to get the sword free of its scabbard.

The Sworn Sword

Dunk stopped to change to his good Dornish tunic and loosen his longsword in its scabbard. He did not want the blade sticking should he need to pull it free.

As for Satin, many have long wondered if he has some secret identity. He may, but I don't think he is against Jon,

Archived