How many years have passed in the story?

Ser Loras The Gay

13 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

I've always had this doubt. From the start of the first prologue to the last epilogue, how much time has passed? The books are never chronologically straight. If it's not stated explicitly how about we try to estimate the amount of time?

From the first Bran chapter to Jon's assassination (probably the last event so far) has been roughly 2 and a half years.  AGOT lasted about a year.  ACOK lasted about 9 months, and begins a year after Jon Arryn's death, which occurred just before Gared's execution.  (Arryn's death occurred just after Joffrey's 12th birthday.  Sansa saving Dontos was on Joffrey's 13th.)  ASOS about 3 months, and AFFC/ADWD about 6-8 months.   It is possible that Dany's wedding occurred before Gared's execution, but in any case, the elapsed time is under 3 years.

5 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Just that? Wow. I had a guess it was something like, 4 years or something. So the majority of the children at the start of the books are still children right? Robb was 15-16 years old when he started his war against the south?

Yep.  Arya is 11.  Sansa is 13.  Their ages are both mentioned in AFFC and ADWD.  They were 9 and 11 in AGOT.  Jon is either 16 or 17.  Dany is 16.  Robb was still 15.  He turned 16 somewhere around his marriage to Jeyne.  George was planning on having more time elapse during the story, so the characters would be a little older by now, but it didn't work out, so he's stuck with characters who are probably a little younger than he would wish..

I wish GRRM would highlight the passage of time more often. It's nearly impossible to riddle out how much time has passed, and from what I've seen (and I've seen a lot of intricate charts and stuff online), it all seems to be mostly guess work. Impressive stuff, but still guesstimates. I think the only solid time marker we are ever given in the story is Joffrey's wedding day. 

I don't understand why he didn't keep the 5-year jump in the story. It would have made sense if after the firestorm of the War of Five Kings the realm cooled down for the rest of autumn or the last of summer, which might last a few years, to replenish their armies.

Archived