The Others: Why now?

300 H&H Magnum

I like the idea of something about the Starks/Winterfell causing the re-awakening of the Others, and apparently recapitulating ancient history.

On that front -- is there any consensus or dominant explanation of "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell"?

Surely that phrase must be a key.  

As with everything the presence of the Others could only be explained by the external forces on them. The world has changed. Magic has slowly been returning with the awakening of the Others and the birth of Dany's dragons.There are celestial reasons given the appearance of the comet and the change of seasons. But I do think of the Others and Dragons as man-made elements in that they appear when the world of man / children facilitate their appearance. In fact it could be argued that when these elements were weaponized, all of the other magic life was extinguished. 

Example Dany creating a massive fire around the eggs heated them to the degree they could hatch. For all we know this is how dragon eggs are hatched normally and won't hatch at temperatures comfortable to humans. At our temperature the egg would appear to be petrified but in the fires of a volcano, mature dragon breath or a massive bonfire they would come to life. 

Because they were finally rested after 8000 years of sleep?

Seriously I would guess number six on this or maybe that the strength of the nights watch has dwindeled so much and is no longer a bunch of noble knights and such but criminals. I remember seeing something about the nights watch staying true or something

To me it's clear something (or someone) has awaken them. Maybe it's Jon Snow, maybe it's Dany, the dragons...maybe it all even started way back with Summerhall and Egg.

On the other hand, maybe all of those things are an answer to the awakening of the Others. It could be very well the other way around. We still don't have enough information to know it for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

well, i read somewhere that GRRM said that magic in their world runs on a cycle. so what if the cycle is irregular? maybe the Others began waking up and coming south because enough magic was starting to cycle back into the world to reanimate them? i mean, we know that magic has been draining out of the world for about 300 hundred years, at least since the doom. so what if the the Doom was not what caused it but merely a symptom. the spells the Valyrians used to stabilize the volcanoes they mined failed ans magic drained away they went boom. dragons appear to suck in magic to help in sustaining themselves, and as there was less and less of it, the dragons were being hatched smaller and smaller. it even works into how  the Valyrians could practice continuous generations of incestuous marriages in their greater families, yet it doesnt appear that they suffered from the frequent birth defects or hereditary madness of the targaryens. if they did, i think their freehold would have collapsed a lot sooner. maybe they had used magic to support their genes, suppressing the chances of insanity and deformity. and now magic seems to be returning to the world, the others are waking in force, dragons are hatching, mellisandre is able use powers she could never use before unless she was in asshai, the glass candles are lit. so maybe the magic runs in cycles, flowing into the world for a time, then out, then back in, and so on and so forth. and considering how long its seems to have saturated the world the last time, yet was only on "low tide" for about 300-400 years, i think its and irregular cycle, kinda like how their season seem to work. it would appear that the wall seems to have plugged some magic north of the wall, a little bit anyway, maybe enough for a small number of Walkers to stay active, gathering those sacrifices children to add to their numbers. hell, maybe they hibernate in cycles too. 

On 5/7/2017 at 1:16 PM, Helikzhan said:

As with everything the presence of the Others could only be explained by the external forces on them. The world has changed. Magic has slowly been returning with the awakening of the Others and the birth of Dany's dragons.There are celestial reasons given the appearance of the comet and the change of seasons. But I do think of the Others and Dragons as man-made elements in that they appear when the world of man / children facilitate their appearance. In fact it could be argued that when these elements were weaponized, all of the other magic life was extinguished. 

Example Dany creating a massive fire around the eggs heated them to the degree they could hatch. For all we know this is how dragon eggs are hatched normally and won't hatch at temperatures comfortable to humans. At our temperature the egg would appear to be petrified but in the fires of a volcano, mature dragon breath or a massive bonfire they would come to life. 

Dragon eggs hatched on their own without intervention from humans.  The wildfire at Summerhall produced more heat than Drogo's fire.

Archived