Baelish and the Wild Wolf

Tom Cruise

Just out of curiosity, is there any evidence that Baelish may have fed Brandon false, or maybe less than truthful, information to Brandon after Lyannas 'abduction'?  The goal, obviously, being that it would cause Brandon to act rashly?  Would Baelish have been in any position to speak with Brandon around this time?  I can't remember specifically, but at this point would Baelish have been back at the Fingers?  If so I guess there's no opportunity for the two to have spoken together. 

1 minute ago, Tom Cruise said:

Just out of curiosity, is there any evidence that Baelish may have fed Brandon false, or maybe less than truthful, information to Brandon after Lyannas 'abduction'?  The goal, obviously, being that it would cause Brandon to act rashly?  Would Baelish have been in any position to speak with Brandon around this time?  I can't remember specifically, but at this point would Baelish have been back at the Fingers?  If so I guess there's no opportunity for the two to have spoken together. 

none 

4 minutes ago, Tom Cruise said:

You're not the first to wonder this :-)

GRRM stated that Baelish was at the Fingers during the Rebellion, busy recovering, but I'm not sure if this entirely rules out the possibility of a chance encounter on his way home.

Another hot candidate for misinformation would be Varys, and next come the Maesters, I guess.

Thanks Ygrain.  Nice to get more than a single word reply :)

I suppose I should have specifically asked if there was a possibility the two spoke.  Textually, I suppose there's nothing ruling out the possibility but unlikely Petry was able to speak face-to-face.  

Was it ever mentioned where Vary's was during, and just prior to the Tourney at Harrenhal? 

You're welcome :-) You are not the first to wonder why the heck Brandon went to KL, given that Rhaegar didn't live there and didn't get on with Aerys.

To my best knowledge, Varys' whereabouts are not stated anywhere, but I don't have the World Book to check. 

In GoT Baelish asks Ned if Brandon ever spoke of him, Ned replies "Often, and with some heat."
But if the two only met once, when Brandon came to Riverrun, and then took off after Rhaegar and Lyanna,
When on earth did Brandon and Ned have time to talk about Baelish?

I don't think it was Petyr's machinations driving the plot at that early stage, but I do think something funny is buried here.

This does seem like it would be something right up Littlefinger's alley. Certainly he'd have all the motive in the world to want Brandon out of the way, and knowledge enough of his rash mindset. The main questions would be how would Littlefinger know about Lyanna's "kidnapping", and how would he be able to convince Brandon of this without him being suspect of his motives.

Now this post made me wonder why would Brandon go to KL and not anywhere else. It was well known that Rhaegar didn't like his father. So why would he risk his life in a suicide mission like that? If it was indeed a Maester it could be something regarding the conspiracy against the Targaryen family. Damn, now I need to lurk some theories.

1 hour ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Now this post made me wonder why would Brandon go to KL and not anywhere else. It was well known that Rhaegar didn't like his father. So why would he risk his life in a suicide mission like that? If it was indeed a Maester it could be something regarding the conspiracy against the Targaryen family. Damn, now I need to lurk some theories.

The daughter of the Lord Paramount of the North would not be traveling alone through the riverlands. She would have had to have a companion or several. These people are how word of her kidnapping would have gotten to brandon. The Prince and a couple of kingsguard on the kingsroad? Why not go to the capital to find them and your sister?

Brandon was traveling in the Riverlands when he heard about Lyanna's abduction.  He was not at Riverrun.  Even if Baelish was still at Riverrun at the time (unclear), it would be impossible for him to have told Brandon anything.

Beyond that, Baelish was still a boy at this point, not the devious schemer he would become.

37 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

The daughter of the Lord Paramount of the North would not be traveling alone through the riverlands. She would have had to have a companion or several. These people are how word of her kidnapping would have gotten to brandon. The Prince and a couple of kingsguard on the kingsroad? Why not go to the capital to find them and your sister?

I see your point. That was really the most logical sequence of events. But, he could ask someone if Rhaegar was really at KL before making the trip right? Because he didn't find Rhaegar there after all.

45 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

I see your point. That was really the most logical sequence of events. But, he could ask someone if Rhaegar was really at KL before making the trip right? Because he didn't find Rhaegar there after all.

I suppose he could go and find a maester. Order that man to send a raven inquiring as to the presence of the prince, then  wait days for the reply at whatever castle he was near. But that does not sound like hotheaded "wolfsblood" having heir to winterfell who was an exceptional rider and swordsman. and his sister's honor and life was at stake. 

I don't think Littlefinger is behind this one. Mainly because we know Brandon hated Baelish, and wouldn't have listened to his counsel anyway. Baelish was also banished from Riverrun at this time after the whole Lysa incident, so no chance of them being in close proximity. 
Brandon is described as brash and impulsive by almost everyone in our story, so it was most likely his own idea to go to King's Landing.

NOW.. as to what Varys may have whispered in Aerys' ear, however, is another matter entirely. 

11 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

I personally subscribe that Littlefinger saw the "abduction" and spread the seeds that sent Brandon to kingslanding. The only evidence I have is Rickard never went to Kingslanding demanding his daughter as if he knew she wasn't there. Further more he didn't demand to see Rhaegar because he didn't believe he was there either. He wanted his heir released. I think he knew where they were or atleast that Lyanna was safe.

2 minutes ago, Damein Blackfyre true king said:

The only evidence I have is Rickard never went to Kingslanding demanding his daughter as if he knew she wasn't there. Further more he didn't demand to see Rhaegar because he didn't believe he was there either. He wanted his heir released. I think he knew where they were or atleast that Lyanna was safe.

How do you know he didn't want those things?  Rickard went to KL to try to tamp down the most immediate crisis, i.e., the threat to execute Brandon.  That's just practical, given the circumstances.

12 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

I am going to have to take a moment to enjoy your username before I ponder this.

Just to follow up on my earlier comment, Brandon was never at Riverrun after Lyanna's abduction.  He could not have been influenced by Littlefinger, even if Littlefinger was still there:

"He was on his way to Riverrun when . . ." Strange, how telling it still made her throat grow tight, after all these years. ". . . when he heard about Lyanna, and went to King's Landing instead. It was a rash thing to do." She remembered how her own father had raged when the news had been brought to Riverrun. The gallant fool, was what he called Brandon. (ACOK Catelyn VII)

Archived