Baelish and the Wild Wolf

Tom Cruise

7 hours ago, The Twinslayer said:

I think the assumption that Rickard was traveling south when Lyanna was abducted (or when Brandon heard about it) is incorrect.  Ned says:  "My father went south once, to answer the summons of a king.  He never came home again."  So Rickard did not leave Winterfell to go to Brandon's wedding.  He left Winterfell after Brandon was taken prisoner and he (Rickard) was summoned to answer for Brandon's supposed crime. 

Could be...although I translate that statement as "My father went south [to King's Landing] once"....after all, he's having a discussion with Luwin and Catelyn about taking Robert up on his "offer" (really an order) of the Handship, which of course means relocating to KL.     Totally different context than travelling to Riverrun for a joyous event like a wedding, imo.

2 hours ago, PrettyPig said:

Could be...although I translate that statement as "My father went south [to King's Landing] once"....after all, he's having a discussion with Luwin and Catelyn about taking Robert up on his "offer" (really an order) of the Handship, which of course means relocating to KL.     Totally different context than travelling to Riverrun for a joyous event like a wedding, imo.

Either way Ned was in the Vale when this happened so he wouldn't have first hand knowledge of what happened. I still Rickard was heading South for his daughters wedding, while leaving Benjen as the Stark in Winterfell.

On 5/21/2017 at 8:39 PM, SeaWitch said:

Petyr embarrassed his foster family by fighting that duel.  Hoster took in this scrawny nobody, treated him almost like he was an equal to proper nobility, and then he goes and presumes to act like he actually is? Shocking.  

The Starks could have taken offence at this grubby child butting into a business between Great Houses.  Petyr could have wounded the heir to the North.  A minor wound could go septic.

For Lysa then to go moping about weeping over him would be irritating.  When she finally brought out a reason to have him brought back, Hoster must have gone spare. Especially if he was already neck-deep in a nascent plot.

But I'm still thinking it was purely Stark bone-headedness that kicked off, and Petyr was way away from it.  And yes, Lysa mauled him when he was drugged and injured, poor sod.  If those were his first sexual experiences, it makes a hell of a lot of sense for his control issues and screwed up approach to sex and power.

Jaime was being groomed for Lysa, it's the 'sat beside at every meal' that's key, there.  Hoster was aiming for a Lannister groom, too. He would not want to be shamed by this wretched charity case.

Poor Lysa. No luck with her suitors in her first youth. Baelish, Jaime and the aged Jon Arryn. No wonder she adored presiding over a court of attractive and attentive candidates in her widowhood. Poor Lysa.

22 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Please let us in on the secret.

No.  Psychopaths are attractive.  So you falling for one of them is nothing unusual.

I agree.  No story without Baelish to drive it.

Oh. It's simple. 

Spoiler

It's the reason Pleasure Pearls (Oriental ones, not the penile implants) can be so very effective. Things introduced into a male's anus apparently produce and/or enhance erection. I'm told (by counselors) this is a reason why male rape victims can be so traumatised- because of their physical reaction to being anally raped, they can get the notion or be convinced by the aggressor they "liked" the experience. Anyway. I'm NOT suggesting our Lysa is a sado/mas dominatrix. 

No.  Psychopaths are attractive.  So you falling for one of them is nothing unusual.

I'm under the impression we're talking about a imaginary character in a work of fiction.

Your comment is a tribute to GRRM's mastery as a writer. 

22 hours ago, Helikzhan said:

A 15 year old in Westeros isn't a boy. Baelish was old enough to get drunk and make sexual advances on the Tully girls. He was also a Tully ward and had the same connections Catelyn and Lysa had. 

Brandon was 20 and was of course stronger than Baelish but also more skilled. After the duel Baelish was at Riverrun for 2 weeks recovering and sleeping with Lysa (whom he thought was Cat). He was sent away after 2 weeks which would have been sometime in 282. 

For comparison the tourney was 281 and Lyanna's disappearance 282. She disappeared 10 leagues (30 miles) from Harrenhal which could have put that chance encounter right in the path of Baelish leaving Riverrun. Considering how few roads there are, I think the encounter was extremely likely. 

Let's assume Baelish witnessed it, hiding. What would Baelish have gained by telling the truth? All he would have to do is start the rumor that she was abducted and Brandon would run right off to find her. Judging what we know about Baelish he is very knowledgeable about all the houses in Westeros as well as the movers and shakers within those houses.

Also a disappearance isn't immediately known. People disappear sometimes weeks before their missing persons report is filed.That's long enough for a rumor to be spread.  

Varys isn't on the radar for me. Too dissociated and would have been at KL the whole time anyway. 

I quite like the idea of a chance meeting on the road between a litter-bourne Petyr and the abduction party. 

20 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Indeed. I need to start a thread on "Baelish the missing years." Between the recovery of the duel and getting the job at Gulltown. I think he goes to Braavos but we have zero info one what he does during this time.

20 hours ago, SeaWitch said:

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. *chin in hands, hopeful expression*

As would I!

Archived