Why there is not Baratheon POV chapter in asoiaf

A Stannis POV could be interesting. I'd like to see his reasoning process when he's being convinced by Melisandre. And it'd be cool to see his reasons on why he went to the Rhollor side of the force. I don't believe for a second it was just his lust for power or his wife being converted.

21 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

A Stannis POV could be interesting. I'd like to see his reasoning process when he's being convinced by Melisandre. And it'd be cool to see his reasons on why he went to the Rhollor side of the force. I don't believe for a second it was just his lust for power or his wife being converted.

I genuinely think it was to save the realm. Stannis was the unappreciated middle brother sandwiched between two charismatic leaders. He was unloved even though he constantly strived to do "the right thing" while Robert and Renly did whatever they wanted. He'd deny it, even to himself, but deep down I think he wanted to believe that he was destined to be the saviour of the realm.

I'd be interested in seeing his thoughts now to be honest. He's spent his entire life demanding people follow him and now people finally are. It turns out all he had to do earn loyalty and respect rather than just expecting it.

I never saw any need for a Baratheon POV.

I agree that part of it is that GRRM wanted to avoid kings as POVs, and I honestly think Stannis' story reads better for not having his innermost thoughts. He wants to burn his nephew at one point, and I think it is better told from Davos's POV

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Ser Loras The Gay said:

He has the worst case of Messiah complex that drives him to R'hllor and turn him blind to the crimes his supporters commit in the name of religion. Melisandre did a great job stroking his ego to god level that he almost becomes a puppet to her.

On 26/03/2017 at 3:24 AM, khal drogon said:

He has the worst case of Messiah complex that drives him to R'hllor and turn him blind to the crimes his supporters commit in the name of religion. Melisandre did a great job stroking his ego to god level that he almost becomes a puppet to her.

Maybe because he knew he wasn't as loved as he's brother? Some fraternal issues for being the second son? I can see that.

We pretty much are in Stannis' head. Stannis is very direct about his thoughts and feelings and he trusts Davos enough to share them. We know he really didn't want to hurt Edric Storm, but would if it meant saving the kingdom. We know he loved Renly and is personally unsure if he did kill Renly or not. We know he wasn't too fond of Robert and often lived in his shadow. I think a Stannis POV wouldn't reveal too much about his character. I don't see any of the other Baratheon's as interesting enough to warrant their own POV. What I really wanted was a Robb POV, but George RR Martin doesn't give a fuck about what we want, in a good way.

On 3/23/2017 at 9:49 AM, James Steller said:

I thought GRRM wanted to avoid making kings into POVS. Hence why Euron, Joffrey, Tommen, Robert, Renly, Stannis, Robb, Mance, and Balon aren't POV's. And once you look at the Baratheons in that category, the only ones left to choose from are Myrcella (in name only) and Shireen. Admittedly either one would have been great. Shireen would have given us amazing insight into Stannis' character.

But personally I would also have loved a Stannis POV. He's one of my all time favourite characters of the books (even after the show completely destroyed his character).

GRRM said he regretted not making Robb a POV  

2 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

Renly seemed like the most interesting of the Baratheon brothers and if we did get a POV from one of them he would be my pick. Out of all three, Renly's intentions seem the least clear.  

We seem to be in the minority, but I agree with you. I would have liked to know more about what he was thinking about in both the first and second book. I think Davos basically covers Stannis well, and Robert would have added nothing to the book, but Renly could have been interesting.

13 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Maybe because he knew he wasn't as loved as he's brother? Some fraternal issues for being the second son? I can see that.

Not only that the guy is prickly and finds slighted by everyone that it becomes funny. He is a fascinating character.

On March 23, 2017 at 1:38 PM, velo-knight said:

Well, our initial POVs are the Starks and Targaryens - one an exiled, defeated house; the other a house that gets defeated and exiled during the events of the series. People named "Baratheon" defeated them both, and from a narrative perspective, we can conclude that they will likely reclaim some or all of what they lost by the end - leaving little room for a Baratheon POV.

*Drop Mic* 

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:49 AM, James Steller said:

I thought GRRM wanted to avoid making kings into POVS. Hence why Euron, Joffrey, Tommen, Robert, Renly, Stannis, Robb, Mance, and Balon aren't POV's. And once you look at the Baratheons in that category, the only ones left to choose from are Myrcella (in name only) and Shireen. Admittedly either one would have been great. Shireen would have given us amazing insight into Stannis' character.

But personally I would also have loved a Stannis POV. He's one of my all time favourite characters of the books (even after the show completely destroyed his character).

You got it right the first time. GRRM was not showing king POV's and all three Baratheon brothers were "kings".

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, Brandon Baratheon said:

What about Daenerys?

I think this means GRRM never intended Dany to sit the Iron Throne. I don't say this because I hate Dany, but because this is not a story about the Iron Throne.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, Nevets said:

Because the story isn't about them.  The story is about the Stark - Lannister rivalry, specifically the destruction and rebirth of the Starks and rise and fall of the Lannisters; the last surviving member of the Targaryens' attempt to regain her family's position as rulers of Westeros; and the Nights Watch and its fight against whatever is up North.  

The Baratheons are important only insofar as they play into one of these stories.  Robert and Renly die early on, Joffrey is really a Lannister, and while Stannis is important, his story is more effectively told through others.  The Baratheon children aren't really important, and unlike the Stark children, the story isn't really about them.

And the story isn't about the Starks, Lannisters or any other house. This is a story about an existential threat to mankind. It is people thinking that the story is about this house or that house that makes them dismiss a lot of important stuff as "filler".

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, 1000th Lord Commander said:

I never saw any need for a Baratheon POV.

I agree that part of it is that GRRM wanted to avoid kings as POVs, and I honestly think Stannis' story reads better for not having his innermost thoughts. He wants to burn his nephew at one point, and I think it is better told from Davos's POV

Stannis did not want to burn his nephew, that is why his nephew is unburnt. People who don't understand that Stannis was looking for any reason to NOT burn his nephew DON'T understand Stannis.

14 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

Renly seemed like the most interesting of the Baratheon brothers and if we did get a POV from one of them he would be my pick. Out of all three, Renly's intentions seem the least clear.  

Renly's intentions were chrystal clear he wanted to be king. It didn't go any deeper than that. And Renly would have been the worst of the three brothers to use as a POV since he was a tertiary character who couldn't shed light on the bigger story. Everything important we needed to know about Renly was shown to us when Catelyn was there to see it.

On March 23, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Brandon Baratheon said:

Baratheons are as important as Starks, Targaryens and Lannisters. They deserve POV apperance. If it happened we would know more about relationship between Renly and Loras. Also if Davos chapters were replaced by Stannis' in Clash of Kings it would be more interesting. It is odd that this rule works also for Joeffrey, Myrcella and Tommen.

Is it possible that Stannis knows something that we shouldn't learn until the end of books?

I do not think the Baratheons were all that important. They seemed to be in place to help other people get to their destinations. I don't miss hang chapters with many Baratheon pov's. 

4 hours ago, bent branch said:

Stannis did not want to burn his nephew, that is why his nephew is unburnt. People who don't understand that Stannis was looking for any reason to NOT burn his nephew DON'T understand Stannis.

Renly's intentions were chrystal clear he wanted to be king. It didn't go any deeper than that. And Renly would have been the worst of the three brothers to use as a POV since he was a tertiary character who couldn't shed light on the bigger story. Everything important we needed to know about Renly was shown to us when Catelyn was there to see it.

How did you come to the conclusion that Stannis didn't intend to burn Edric? Don't hide behind "one who deny didn't understand" argument while you are the one who didn't understand. Stannis had already came to a conclusion that he "needed" to burn the boy to save the realm at that point. Yes, he didn't love it but he had come to a conclusion that it is necessary. Davos tries to reason with him and normally Stannis would hear him out but regarding Edric he had already made his mind. This shocks even Davos that he smuggles Edric out of Dragonstone. If Davos didn't do it Edric would be burnt for sure. 

4 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Daenerys is not a king.

I doubt very much that GRRM seperates along gender lines when deciding something like this. There is a reason Daenerys is a PoV and the other kings are not.

1 hour ago, khal drogon said:

How did you come to the conclusion that Stannis didn't intend to burn Edric? Don't hide behind "one who deny didn't understand" argument while you are the one who didn't understand. Stannis had already came to a conclusion that he "needed" to burn the boy to save the realm at that point. Yes, he didn't love it but he had come to a conclusion that it is necessary. Davos tries to reason with him and normally Stannis would hear him out but regarding Edric he had already made his mind. This shocks even Davos that he smuggles Edric out of Dragonstone. If Davos didn't do it Edric would be burnt for sure. 

Stannis was being pressured to burn Edric for four months and refused to. To say that Stannis wanted to burn Edric is a shallow and simplistic understanding of what was going on. Did Stannis seriously consider burning Edric? Did Davos spirit Edric off the Island because he thought Stannis would actually do it? The answer to both of those questions is yes. And there is even a chance Stannis may have burned Edric. However, to say that Stannis wanted to burn Edric shows a misunderstanding of the nuances in the story.

Oh, and you missed the fact that I wasn't denying that Stannis was considering burning his nephew. I merely pointed out that if Stannis had taken that course of action, it would have been reluctantly.

Because being a stag means that you suck so hard that noone wants to read about you...

Seriously, they are not needed. Stannis basically say what he think, Robert is pretty easily to read too with a pretyy tiresome "I was great once" arc" and Renly is in the novel too little (and his eventual knowledge might change our perspective in the first book).

Archived