Why there is not Baratheon POV chapter in asoiaf

Baratheons are as important as Starks, Targaryens and Lannisters. They deserve POV apperance. If it happened we would know more about relationship between Renly and Loras. Also if Davos chapters were replaced by Stannis' in Clash of Kings it would be more interesting. It is odd that this rule works also for Joeffrey, Myrcella and Tommen.

Is it possible that Stannis knows something that we shouldn't learn until the end of books?

I thought GRRM wanted to avoid making kings into POVS. Hence why Euron, Joffrey, Tommen, Robert, Renly, Stannis, Robb, Mance, and Balon aren't POV's. And once you look at the Baratheons in that category, the only ones left to choose from are Myrcella (in name only) and Shireen. Admittedly either one would have been great. Shireen would have given us amazing insight into Stannis' character.

But personally I would also have loved a Stannis POV. He's one of my all time favourite characters of the books (even after the show completely destroyed his character).

1 minute ago, James Steller said:

I thought GRRM wanted to avoid making kings into POVS. Hence why Euron, Joffrey, Robert, Renly, Stannis, Robb, Mance, and Balon aren't POV's.

But personally I would have loved a Stannis POV. He's one of my all time favourite characters of the books (even after the show completely destroyed his character).

I think what makes Stannis is being a secondary. He just wouldn't have the same appeal if we were in his head. 

Baratheons are not that important. Stags are the victims of the fight between the lion and the wolf not players as much as them.

And they are interesting because they aren't POVs. My feeling is Stannis wouldn't have half as much fanboys if he had a POV and there was no Davos POV to cause a filtering effect. But his thoughts would be comedic gold though.

26 minutes ago, James Steller said:

I thought GRRM wanted to avoid making kings into POVS. Hence why Euron, Joffrey, Tommen, Robert, Renly, Stannis, Robb, Mance, and Balon aren't POV's. And once you look at the Baratheons in that category, the only ones left to choose from are Myrcella (in name only) and Shireen. Admittedly either one would have been great. Shireen would have given us amazing insight into Stannis' character.

But personally I would also have loved a Stannis POV. He's one of my all time favourite characters of the books (even after the show completely destroyed his character).

What about Daenerys?

1 minute ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

What about Daenerys?

Touche. Though she didn't start out as a monarch, it was part of her character arc, and maybe her being a POV will signal that she won't stay a monarch forever? We'll see, I suppose.

1 minute ago, khal drogon said:

Baratheons are not that important. Stags are the victims of the fight between the lion and the wolf.

And they are interesting because they aren't POVs. My feeling is Stannis wouldn't have half as much fanboys if he had a POV and there was no Davos POV to cause a filtering effect. But his thoughts would be comedic gold though.

But Joeffrey Baratheon chapter could be very interesting.

Just now, Brandon Baratheon said:

Yes but he is a Lannister Bastard though not Baratheon.

Personally I would love Stannis POV to know the true Stannis but it is fun to speculate too so no worries. Him and Euron are two kings where I feel their own POV will ruin them.

Well, our initial POVs are the Starks and Targaryens - one an exiled, defeated house; the other a house that gets defeated and exiled during the events of the series. People named "Baratheon" defeated them both, and from a narrative perspective, we can conclude that they will likely reclaim some or all of what they lost by the end - leaving little room for a Baratheon POV.

For all means and purposes Davos is our Baratheon POV. There are no real candidates for a real one with George's no POV for kings policy. I also wouldn't really say that Baratheons are as important as Starks, Lannisters and Targaryens tbh. Stannis' storyline feels like it is a mid-story filler.

Stannis is the last true born Baratheon left in the world besides his daughter Shireen. Daenerys makes a big deal about being the last true Targaryen in the world even though Esoss is filled with those of blood from Valyria. Stannis is the last of the Storm Kings, It's up to him to keep his line alive because he knows if he dies then Shireen will likely be killed as well. He has no dragons either and can't seduce men to his cause. The one draw back his character has is that after his parents and Proudwing died he forget how to be human. 

Because the story isn't about them.  The story is about the Stark - Lannister rivalry, specifically the destruction and rebirth of the Starks and rise and fall of the Lannisters; the last surviving member of the Targaryens' attempt to regain her family's position as rulers of Westeros; and the Nights Watch and its fight against whatever is up North.  

The Baratheons are important only insofar as they play into one of these stories.  Robert and Renly die early on, Joffrey is really a Lannister, and while Stannis is important, his story is more effectively told through others.  The Baratheon children aren't really important, and unlike the Stark children, the story isn't really about them.

42 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Because the story isn't about them.  The story is about the Stark - Lannister rivalry, specifically the destruction and rebirth of the Starks and rise and fall of the Lannisters; the last surviving member of the Targaryens' attempt to regain her family's position as rulers of Westeros; and the Nights Watch and its fight against whatever is up North.  

The Baratheons are important only insofar as they play into one of these stories.  Robert and Renly die early on, Joffrey is really a Lannister, and while Stannis is important, his story is more effectively told through others.  The Baratheon children aren't really important, and unlike the Stark children, the story isn't really about them.

/\ this. The story is about struggle to get what one wants and the struggle of mankind to maintain it's order. Every character in the end wants it's own definition of peace. The starks as independent rulers of the north. Daenerys sitting on the Throne. The lannisters ruling westeros. Petyr destroying everything for revenge. Varys putting Aegon on the Throne. The others killing the humans and so forth.

8 hours ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

Oh god no. Joffrey is a one-dimensional idiot, seeing the world through his eyes would be like a bad comic book villain. No no no.

The Baratheons, much like the Arryns, are a doomed House. There's only a handful of them. Neither Robert nor Renly would have made good POVs because they simply didn't drive the plot too much (although I'll admit, a couple Robert chapters in the first book would have been amazing). As for Stannis, he's a character that's more interesting to observe than to know, like Tywin or Varys. 

Then agaaaain, Arys Oakheart got a chapter for no freakin' reason, soo whatever!

We don't know that Martin didn't write them, but they may not have made the final cut for editorial reasons-That is, we can get tons and tons of info about them, as much as we need really, via their co-stars.  So, if push comes to shove and you have to condense things, the B's can be left out without us losing a whole lot of context.

We know Robert's a man whore; Do we need to know his inner most thoughts? Oh my.

We know Stannis is a law and order type guy and I'm not sure there is a whole lot in between.  Do we need to know about his self- doubt?  He has none.

Renly is an extrovert, thus his best characteristics were well on display.  

In this same sense (I know, God forbid!) we could have done without Ned's POV except we needed his private thoughts about Jon. Could've done without Cat's, if we had Robb's instead.  Could do without Arianne.  Like, all together, I just could live without Arianne.  Would;ve appreciated Oberyn instead.

I don't see any reason for a Robert chapter, or a Renly chapter. We know enough of them for the most part. But yea I really would have loved a Stannis POV. On rereads I always find A Clash of Kings the toughest to get through and having some Stannis perspective would have made it a lot better. Sorry Davos fans, but the Onion Knight just doesn't do it for me. Cressen would have been better imo.

Archived