Regarding Shadrich/Reed- Motivation for Blackwater. ?

Davjos

I need to start this thread by paying respect to one of the best threads I've read on here:  Ser Shadrich, his allies And his advisaries, by bemudes. 

I also want to say the timeline by PrivateMajor helped to form this thread: 

I want to start saying in this topic we ASSUME Shadrich is Howland Reed. I don't intent to open up the discussion whether Howland Reed is Shadrich. I want to pick your brain why Howland Reed would fight at the Blackwater (and possibly at Storm's End).

The battle of the Blackwater happened after the fall of Winterfell to the Iron Born/Theon, But BERORE the Red Wedding. Hell, Robb was having a succesfull campaign in the Westerlands. Moat Cailin has also fallen, so what would make one of the Starks most loyal allies side with Stannis while his knowledge of the Neck, his tactical expertise/experience, and his council to avoid Robb marrying Jeyne. He should have known about the fall of Winterfel and Moat Cailin while on Dragonstone prepairing for the Battle of the Blackwater.

Either he doesn't support Robb, but Jojen and Meera do go to Winterfell, so him not supporting the Starks also doesn't really make sense. Or he feels he needs to infiltrate KL to take personal vengence for the beheading of Ned in a more subtle way, trying to end the war for Robb. It would only make sense if he really feels he has No other way of entering KL, or bets on Stannis taking KL sooner then Robb. What do you guys think? Something weird in the ToJ could have caused is possibly. 

I just can't get behind this one. I do like the HR=HS but I don't believe it. IMO he has one concern and that's the long night. If he's anywhere besides the neck in Greywater Watch, which I believe and hope was built on a huge turtle, then it turns the mission of his children into this arbitrary sacrifice. 

IMO, when he does finally show up it will be in Jamie's PoV. This will be during the two months Jamie has been missing at the end of Dance. BUT this would mean that I believe Stoneheart has her own machinations which is plausible but I don't want it to be in like the aspect of a Dark version of Robin Hood. Anyway I should digress a bit.

Him not supporting Robb makes little sense in my eyes. Jojen and Meera both sware by ice and fire, that the Reeds and their men are loyal to the Starks. In real life this would be equivalent to a manse-lord or tenant-in-chief and his tenants or vassals pledging their lives, loyalty, and arms to the king. 

Side note here is unless I missed something here there is no mention of a tax* to the new lord(Robb) in spite a tax system in place meaning it is a purely ost* Feudal system of land for services in the north?.... 

* i use tax as it is the easiest term to understand. Just off the top of my head we have Relief, Regalian Relief, Scutage tariff, inheritance tax. 

*I juggled the best way to explain it couldn't decide as I have knowledge but not the skill or expertise to explain my knowledge so went with an actual term. It means military service in the lords army. 

This seems rather far fetched... But hell, who cares, I'll play along 

^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

There's no reason to assume that Shadrich joined Stannis on Dragonstone. Most hedge Knights and sellswords join an army in the march, so he probably joined shortly before the actual battle. 

I suppose he may simply be saving Sansa. If KL fell, the Red Keep would follow as well, and Sansa would probably be raped. If he'd be the first to reach her, he'd have a chance to protect her, and also get her out, and bring her safely to Robb, or his swamp. He'd probably do it for Ned, friends tend to help the offspring of their friends,  or at least try to. This was also the first opportunity to get into the Red Keep, and reach Sansa.

9 hours ago, Ethelarion said:

I want to pick your brain why Howland Reed would fight at the Blackwater (and possibly at Storm's End).

I don't think the Mad Mouse fought at the Blackwater (whoever he is). That is just a backstory he created to make his quest believable.

Archived