US Politics: Kill (the) Bill

Kalbear

14 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I just turned on CNN to watch some of the American news on this. They've got 7 people sat behind a desk to analyse this. That seems a little excessive to me.

Anyway, Trump isn't actually very good at this governing business. Colour me surprised.

That's how they do it - one host, 3 pro-GOP, 3 pro-Dems.

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That's how they do it - one host, 3 pro-GOP, 3 pro-Dems.

I've often seen it where the GOP folk seem to be a clear minority, but then I don't watch all that much and might be confused about who is what on paper.

Just now, James Arryn said:

Once you get people to ignore anything negative about you because the bad media/courts/system is out to get you, normal rules cease to apply. So don't be surprised if many Republican supporters buy that this is the Democrats fault or Bama's fault or Islamic Mexicans fault.

Oh I have no doubt they will. Particularly after Rush Limbaugh tells them so.

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I've often seen it where the GOP folk seem to be a clear minority, but then I don't watch all that much and might be confused about who is what on paper.

They are often flying solo on Bill Maher's show, but that show is significantly different from your typical pundit Talking Head fest.

3 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Is it wrong that I have Cabinet Battle #1 from the Hamilton soundtrack on my mind?

"Winning was easy, young man. Governing's harder"

Nope :)

Yeah, he plainly didn't care about the policy of it-- he wanted to do tax reform first, which would be the one that would affect him personally, and had to have it explained to him that starting with health care would make his tax cuts much easier to pass. But the optics of winning and losing, on his first major legislation? I'm sure he cares about that. He'll find some psychological mechanism to make it not his fault, of course. Blaming the Democrats seems to be working for now, but eventually he'll remember that (in his business-driven conception of how politics works) he should have had enough votes to win with his own employees, the Republicans.

55 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

The Republican Party is utterly fucking incompetent. They too, can't get anything right.

What's incredible is that Ryan allowed the bill to be introduced in the House without knowing that he 100% had the votes to pass it. Most people aspiring to be elected officials learn that by the time they get to college level student government.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

What's incredible is that Ryan allowed the bill to be introduced in the House without knowing that he 100% had the votes to pass it. Most people aspiring to be elected officials learn that by the time they get to college level student government.

That's the part that makes me suspicious about this whole thing.  it seems like there's more to this than meets the eye.

Like, are the republicans in congress looking for a wedge to separate them from the WH?  

I dunno.  Could be I'm overthinking it and it's occams razor.  but something about this doesn't quite add up.

Just now, Swordfish said:

Like, are the republicans in congress looking for a wedge to separate them from the WH?  

The Tea Partiers will need to find a reason at some point to claim that Trump isn't a True ConservativeTM so that they can blame him for all the Republican failures over the next couple of years.

2 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

That's the part that makes me suspicious about this whole thing.  it seems like there's more to this than meets the eye.

I dunno.  Could be I'm overthinking it and it's occams razor.  but something about this doesn't quite add up.

Nothing is adding up right now which makes it really difficult to game out what's going on. The one thing I do feel confident in saying is that Ryan really did want this to pass. As for creating a wedge with the WH, I've been wondering who would benefit more if the bill failed? Would that make Congressional Republicans stronger or weaker? I really have no idea.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

That. And of course they had 7 seven years to come up with something they could agree on.

Or maybe the dog ate their healthcare plan, forcing Ryan to do a "Mc Bill".

7 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

the simplest explanation is that they believe their own propaganda and truly and deeply believed that repeal would be a slam dunk in every measurable respect. 

I think they were completely blindsided by the possibility that people would fight to keep it. that there were broad coalitions willing to fight to keep it. From their perspective, they did not know one person who liked Obamacare, benefitted from any aspect of it, or any person who thought they were better off because of it. From their perspective, it was only bad, so repealing it could only be good with utterly positive outcomes.

Archived