US Politics: Kill (the) Bill

Kalbear

They killed the vote. https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/house-leaders-prepare-to-vote-friday-on-health-care-reform/2017/03/24/736f1cd6-1081-11e7-9d5a-a83e627dc120_story.html?utm_term=.0a6620f3003c

House Republican leaders abruptly pulled a Republican rewrite of the nation’s health-care system from consideration on Friday, a dramatic acknowledgment that they are so far unable to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

“We just pulled it,” President Trump told the Washington Post in a telephone interview.

The decision came a day after President Trump delivered an ultimatum to lawmakers – and the defeat represented multiple failures for the new president and House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.).

The decision means the Affordable Care Act remains in place, at least for now, and a major GOP campaign promise goes unfulfilled. The decision also casts doubt on the GOP’s ability to govern and to advance other high-stakes agenda items, including tax reform and infrastructure spending. Ryan is still without a signature achievement as speaker – and the defeat undermines Trump’s image as a skilled dealmaker willing to strike compromises to push his agenda forward.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Cuck move.

*ahem*

Anyway, this'd be hilarious:

Too bad Trump's spent 2 months antagonizing Democratic leaders as much as possible.

My God, that is funny. How divorced from reality is he?

Democrats being able to make some deals to strengthen parts of it would be a potential winner, depending on if they can find cause with moderate republicans who are worried about losing their seats. They can vote to kill the individual mandate (which is basically dead anyway, as the IRS isn't enforcing it) while increasing the medicaid enrollment to 200% of poverty - that would be hugely popular and not particularly complex, and would likely even get 60 votes in the senate. 

I doubt it'll happen, but it is the sort of thing that Trump might consider given that he has basically no ideology or particular dog in this fight. 

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

As much as I dislike Trump, I don't see how this flies. Ryan is Speaker of the House. It's his job to push these sorts of things through and get the votes needed to pass it. Not sure how he could realistically pass that buck to Trump. Seems to me he's pretty screwed here.

You think "realistic" or the actual facts have any bearing on this whatsoever when selling a story to a Republican audience?

Just now, felice said:

You think "realistic" or the actual facts have any bearing on this whatsoever when selling a story to a Republican audience?

I don't think that really applies to Ryan though. All the Trumpsters will blame Ryan. Trump will likely blame Ryan. That's the story that will be bought, methinks. Which is kind of ironic under the circumstances as it is mostly the truth.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I don't think that really applies to Ryan though. All the Trumpsters will blame Ryan. Trump will likely blame Ryan. That's the story that will be bought, methinks. Which is kind of ironic under the circumstances as it is mostly the truth.

It's also a much harder line to sell when you control the house, the senate, and the judiciary. How precisely did the Democrats stop the vote from even taking place? When you sell people on the expectation that you can get things done, and they don't happen, they don't care nearly as much about the why. 

Same was true with Obama and the ACA, where a lot of dems were disappointed in the final result. Didn't matter there were a lot of good reasons why it happened, they just cared that Obama didn't get it done.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

AH-HAAAAAA-AH! You fucking moron, Donny. Your party owns the House. You don't get to pass this one off.

They are even fighting over who actually pulled the vote.

Homer Simpson voice: "This is going GREAT!"

Trump said in the phone call where he announced it was over that he doesn't blame Ryan. But I doubt he'll stick to that message. (Let's see what he tweets tomorrow morning.) He was getting ready to blame Ryan on election night when he still thought he'd lose, and the White House has been laying the groundwork to blame him for the bill's defeat since last night. Or longer, if you believe Bannon was behind Breitbart's attacks on the bill. I wouldn't be surprised if the goal was to put a less equivocal Trump supporter in as speaker. But the irony there is that this thing they'd try to use as a pretext also demonstrates that Trump doesn't have the leverage with House Republicans he'd need to achieve that.

I just turned on CNN to watch some of the American news on this. They've got 7 people sat behind a desk to analyse this. That seems a little excessive to me.

Anyway, Trump isn't actually very good at this governing business. Colour me surprised.

9 minutes ago, Triskan said:

ETA:  Holy shit:  Ryan just actually admitted "We were a ten year minority party where all you had to do was be against things."  That's paraphrasing, but that's what he said.  Incredible.  

Like OldGimletEye always says, the dog ate their homework. These are our best and brightest folks. Our inspiring leadership. 

5 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I just turned on CNN to watch some of the American news on this. They've got 7 people sat behind a desk to analyse this. That seems a little excessive to me.

Welcome to U.S. political news coverage. 

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Anyway, Trump isn't actually very good at this governing business. Colour me surprised.

7 is pretty much CNN's minimum for big stories. They had at least that many during each of the presidential debates.

Nice to see Paul Ryan being honest for once.

Cautionary note: pussygate, giant wall, khans, etc. 

Trump's approval amongst Republicans hasn't moved much if at all during his term so far; Gallup has it exactly where it was at the end of January. I know that doesn't account for this latest gaffe, but my point is that Republicans don't seem to be reacting to Trump's administration with any real concern. 

Once you get people to ignore anything negative about you because the bad media/courts/system is out to get you, normal rules cease to apply. So don't be surprised if many Republican supporters buy that this is the Democrats fault or Bama's fault or Islamic Mexicans fault.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

AH-HAAAAAA-AH! You fucking moron, Donny. Your party owns the House. You don't get to pass this one off.

Yeah really. Trump is fucking incompetent. He can't get anything right. 

The Republican Party is utterly fucking incompetent. They too, can't get anything right.

And this is the Democrats fault? Fuck you Trump. And fuck you Republican Party.

Just now, James Arryn said:

Cautionary note: pussygate, giant wall, khans, etc. 

Trump's approval amongst Republicans hasn't moved much if at all during his term so far; Gallup has it exactly where it was at the end of January. I know that doesn't account for this latest gaffe, but my point is that Republicans don't seem to be reacting to Trump's administration with any real concern. 

Once you get people to ignore anything negative about you because the bad media/courts/system is out to get you, normal rules cease to apply. So don't be surprised if many Republican supporters buy that this is the Democrats fault or Bama's fault or Islamic Mexicans fault.

The thing is this particular Bill has a weird sort of dichotomy to it. If you were really paying attention, I would think most folks would be glad that Trumpelstilkin failed to deliver on this one. Really only the 1% and the most rabid of Obamacare haters should have any beef with this fail.

Archived