Suitable Marriages for Prince Viserys and Princess Daenerys

Shi Qiang

Say the rebellion never happened.  Rickard's Southron Ambitions fizzled out.  Lyanna died in a riding accident.  Robert drank himself to death.  Go forward 12 years into the future from the tourney at Harrenhal.  Aerys most probably keeled over from anorexia.  Rhaegar is king, with Elia at his side.  Who would make the best marriage matches for the royal children?

1. Prince Viserys
  2. Princess Daenerys

Anorexia?! Lmao alright..

Targaryens don't have to look far to find matches. It's easy. Viserys and Dany would simply be married to each other. Rhaegar was a weirdo obsessed with his own blood and lineage and prophecies 'n shit; I can see him marrying his siblings to each other. 

18 minutes ago, Allardyce said:

Say the rebellion never happened.  Rickard's Southron Ambitions fizzled out.  Lyanna died in a riding accident.  Robert drank himself to death.  Go forward 12 years into the future from the tourney at Harrenhal.  Aerys most probably keeled over from anorexia.  Rhaegar is king, with Elia at his side.  Who would make the best marriage matches for the royal children?

1. Prince Viserys
  2. Princess Daenerys

Marry Danerys with Jaime Lannister. It don't think it would beneficial to marry Viserys to any great house because he wouldn't treat his wife well which would not be good at all. I would probably marry him into one of the larger Crownlands houses.

24 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

Marry Danerys with Jaime Lannister. It don't think it would beneficial to marry Viserys to any great house because he wouldn't treat his wife well which would not be good at all. I would probably marry him into one of the larger Crownlands houses.

Jaime and Cersei are like 16 years older than Viserys and Daenerys. That's problematic even in a medieval setting. 
Whether or not Viserys treats his wife well is also irrelevant. If the match is good, then they're betrothed. 

7 minutes ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

Viserys would marry Cersei.I doubt Twyin would leave his plan for a royal wedding. 

Daenerys would marry Renly Baratheon.

That seems moronic,not offense to you of course but why would he wait 12 years to marry off his only daughter? His firstborn son is not able to inherit and he waits years to wed his children? One plague outbreak and his line is ended...

5 minutes ago, Renly's Banana said:

Jaime and Cersei are like 16 years older than Viserys and Daenerys. That's problematic even in a medieval setting. 
Whether or not Viserys treats his wife well is also irrelevant. If the match is good, then they're betrothed. 

I guess age is a problem.

How about marrying Danerys to Robb Stark, Trystane Martell or Edmure Tully? They all seem like good matches.

I dont agree on that it is irrelevant how Viserys treats his wife. What if marry him to Arianne Martell or Margery and he abused, beat and raped her. It would be very bad for the relationship between the houses and probably it would be better if there was no marriage at all. Marrying him to some lesser powerful house would work though.

Rhaegar would be in the position to arrange those marriages.  Viserys and Daenerys will marry who Rhaegar tells them to marry. 

Viserys could marry Arrianne Martell or Margery Tyrell.

I'm pretty sure Daenerys would marry Aegon.  They have to keep the blood of the dragon going.

Rhaenys could be an interesting match for somebody like Samwell Tarly.  Nobody ever said she has to like it.  The Tarlys are important allies of the Targaryen family.  Renly is another good choice.  He only needs to use his thing once to consummate the match. 

Daenerys is a good choice for Aegon: a traditional Valyrian wedding, but not *quite* as incestuous, it ties off a superfluous dynastic line while freeing Rhaenys, who as King Rhaegar's daughter is closer to the crown and therefore more politically valuable, for a dynastic marriage. Assuming that all the other marriages we know of take place, and the children are born the same; then Sweetrobin and Willas Tyrell are both interesting choices. Either would bring an alliance with a Paramountly family, bringing the Crown allies' reliable strength up to three kingdoms (Dorne, Crownlands, and either Vale or Reach) for the lifetime of King Rhaegar at least. Sweetrobin is a few years younger than Rhaenys, Willas is according to the wiki at most 10 years older; and he could be as little as 4 years older.

Tyrion, who is 7-8 years older, could be considered as a "conciliation" to Tywin: he gets a grandchild with Targaryen blood (and given the Targaryen tendency to re-intermarry back to the main branch, possible a great-grandchild will seat the throne), and the fact that a marriage of such a highborn lady to a dwarf - regardless of titles - is considered a slight would be a public way for Rhaegar to reconcile with Tywin over the way Aerys treated him and Cersei. Obviously, this could bring the Westerlands back into the Rhaegar's court, as well as signals some continuity of policy with the return to royal favor of Tywin.

Theon Greyjoy is almost the same age as Rhaenys. If in this scenario, we never have Greyjoy's Rebellion, then Theon could be a way to gain increased naval power (and an implicit threat to the Lannisters, Starks, and Tullys not to try any more of that power bloc stuff). I actually like the idea of Theon for Rhaenys / Daenerys best of all.

2 hours ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

I dont agree on that it is irrelevant how Viserys treats his wife. What if marry him to Arianne Martell or Margery and he abused, beat and raped her. It would be very bad for the relationship between the houses and probably it would be better if there was no marriage at all. Marrying him to some lesser powerful house would work though.

If these abuses, beating and rapes were to happen BEFORE a marriage, then yeah, the wife's family can certainly break it off. If these abuses come to light only after the wedding, however, not much can be done. Especially against your crown prince. There's no divorce in Westeros; a husband can do whatever he wants with his wife so long as it's not too outrageous or scandalous. There's a reason Olenna went to such lengths to kill Joffrey before they got married.  

Viserys is sort of a dangerous dynastic thread. If you're King Rhaegar, and you've failed to have your third child with Elia, then Aegon is your only heir and Viserys is #2. You don't want to give Viserys too great a marriage - someone might start thinking about offing Aegon and enthroning him to get a good-son and later grandson on the throne. That's where marrying him to someone like Cersei or Margaery is dangerous.

At the same time, you don't want to slight him so badly that you create a serious rivalry or scandal. You also don't want to be responsible for the failure of the line if he and Aegon both die without male issue. Most likely you keep his hand available for a weaker high lord's daughter - Asha Greyjoy would be natural, especially if you marry Rhaenys to Tyrion to mollify Tywin. Desmera Redwyne is 8 years younger, a noticeable but acceptable age gap, and it'd make up for the Olenna incident all those years before. If you can get over the ten-year age gap between them, Sansa Stark might work as a bride. All of these women are of suitably high birth so as not to be scandalous or improper for a possible - if unlikely - Queen of Westeros, and all come from powerful families - but in each case their families are sufficiently remote and outclassed by nearer great powers that it's unlikely they'll be a threat to rebel.

Edit: oh, also, they're unlikely to be sufficiently powerful that if Viserys mistreats his wife, the family can individually take revenge on the Royal Family.

20 hours ago, Allardyce said:

1. Prince Viserys
  2. Princess Daenerys

Daenerys herself thinks that she would have been a suitable bride for her nephew, Aegon.  

Viserys would likewise marry his niece Rhaenys, although the ages are less in alignment than Daenerys and Aegon

Even now, Jon Connington is planning to have Aegon (who he believes to be genuine) marry Daenerys when she returns to Westeros.

I see no reason why Viserys and Daenerys shouldn't marry one another, but if they weren't, then I think Dany would've made a good match for Aegon.

Rhaenys' looks unfortunately favour her Dornish mother and if she were to marry and have children with Aegon, that could affect how the Targaryens on the Iron Throne would look like in the future, which I don't think would be good for them, as the Dornish are still not very well liked. If Viserys and Daenerys married and had children, their children could claim to be pure Targaryens and not part Dornish, which could very quickly turn ugly for everyone.

So yeah, I think it would be safest for the dynasty to have Aegon marry Dany, as both of their looks favour the traditional Targaryens.

I believe Viserys could marry pretty much any high-born lady in Westeros. At the time of our story-line, Viserys was still just a young child. He could be raised better and be a completely different person, so he would maybe not be abusive to his future wife, which many above have voiced concerns about.

Rhaenys however is quite a wild card. She is a Targaryen princess who looks Dornish, so it would be a good question if anyone would want to marry her. Maybe Quentyn? He is only a little bit older than Rhaenys and he is Dornish, so he could like the idea of marrying her.

I can think of a very good reason Rhaegar might not have wanted any Targaryen forced marriages to another Targaryen. Rhaella's misery in her marriage to their father. I'm not sure Rhaegar would want to chance the repetition of that debacle. Prophecy may have forced Aerys and Rhaella to marry, but it doesn't say anything about to whom their descendants must be married.

1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

In the op's scenario there is no Sansa since Cat would had been married to Brandon.

Fair enough....Assuming Brandon didn't find some other way to die, Brandon and Catelyn's daughter, then.  Substitute other equivalent Stark son, for Rob, too.

Archived