Suitable Marriages for Prince Viserys and Princess Daenerys

Shi Qiang

On 3/24/2017 at 5:29 PM, Renly's Banana said:

Anorexia?! Lmao alright..

Targaryens don't have to look far to find matches. It's easy. Viserys and Dany would simply be married to each other. Rhaegar was a weirdo obsessed with his own blood and lineage and prophecies 'n shit; I can see him marrying his siblings to each other. 

My immediate thought as well.  Absent Rhaegar to hold to this, though, I am not sure anyone else advising them would make this suggestion as there'd be so many suitors from other houses.  But from my outside perspective, you lose the significance of the bloodline with too many "outcrosses."  Rhaegar already went outside the family, V&D should obviously be the inbreeders.

Assuming the rebellion never happened and assuming that nothing ever happened between Rhaegar and Lyanna (since that kicked off the rebellion) and Rhaegar is King....The Targaryens already have a strong link to Dorne through Rhaegar's marriage to Ellia so;

1. Dany marries Robb Stark, cements relations with the North, it also cement relations with the Baratheons since Lyanna (who hasn't died at the tower of Joy) is Robb's aunt.
  2. Viserys marries Maergery Tyrell, cements relations with Highgarden, also brings in the Tarlys since they are Tyrell bannermen.
  3. Since the Lannisters have no one in the direct line from Tywin eligible,Jaime is a Kingsguard and Cersei is too and was probably married off years ago, Tywin is named Hand of the King
  4. Aegon and Rhaenys marry each other to keep the Targ tradition going.

On 26/3/2017 at 0:59 AM, Aporetic said:

Fair enough....Assuming Brandon didn't find some other way to die, Brandon and Catelyn's daughter, then.  Substitute other equivalent Stark son, for Rob, too.

I can see that.

On 25/3/2017 at 7:52 PM, Good Guy Garlan said:

Aegon + Margaery

Rhaenys + Edmure

On 26/3/2017 at 1:33 AM, Widowmaker 811 said:

Dany and Aegon

Rhaenys and Benjen

On 25/3/2017 at 1:46 AM, Targaryen Restoration said:

I'm pretty sure Daenerys would marry Aegon.  They have to keep the blood of the dragon going.

Rhaenys could be an interesting match for somebody like Samwell Tarly.  Nobody ever said she has to like it.  The Tarlys are important allies of the Targaryen family.  Renly is another good choice.  He only needs to use his thing once to consummate the match. 

Rhaegar was trying to bring back Aegon and his sisters. It would make no sense to marry Aegon and Rhaenys with others.

Assuming Aerys die just before the tourney of Harrenhal, than Rhaegar would have never organized the tourney of Harrenhal which means that Rhaegar would never meet Lyanna until after she married Robert.

In that case my two biggest worries are

a-      Rickard’s so called Southern ambitions
b-      The Lannisters (who had been treated like shite by Aerys)

This is how I’d tackle it
-    I’d suggest a marriage between Viserys Targeryan and Lysa Tully. The latter is rumoured to be damaged goods and a marriage between her and the prince would be too good for the trout to refuse. Lysa is 10 years his senior which means that he’ll have less children and hence I would limit the chances of having my brother or his children being used against me

-    The Lannisters have suffered so much injustice throughout the years and I am ready to make amends. As a sign of good faith, Tywin will be restored hand of the king. Jamie will be released from KG as long as his father commits himself in marrying him to my daughter Rhaenys. 

-    I’d propose a marriage between my son Aegon and Margaery Tyrell. I am sure Mace will be thrilled with seeing his daughter marrying the heir to the crown and will use his horde to good use if any of my enemies tries to strip me (and him) from the crown.

-    Danny will be married off to Elbert Arryn as long as Jon commits himself to keep him as heir.

10 minutes ago, devilish said:

The Lannisters have suffered so much injustice throughout the years

How?

I’d propose a marriage between my son Aegon and Margaery Tyrell.

as long as his father commits himself in marrying him to my daughter Rhaenys. 

That wouldn't make sense since Rhaegar wanted to recreate Aegon and his sisters. 

Aegon and Dany. Aegon will be king, and Dany has the highest purity. The (main) bloodline must be kept pure.

Rhaenys has the Dornish look, so a marriage to an outside family. Edmure Tully. The Tully's have ties to a lot of families.

Viserys: Margaery of Arianne (but there is already a marriage to Dorne). otherwise a lesser family so Viserys wouldn't have that much powerfull allies. Lets say a maiden from house Tarly

The Valyrian incestuous marriage ideal is sibling marriage. Cousin marriages are less popular, so one should expect that Aegon would have married his sister Rhaenys, and Viserys would have married his sister Daenerys.

We saw something like that happening during the days of Aegon III and Daeron I when two male branches of House Targaryen married their children to each rather than marrying the cousins to each other. Cousin marriages only take place if there are no siblings to marry (for instance, Viserys I and Aemma Arryn or Rhaenyra's sons by Laenor being betrothed to Laena's daughters by Daemon).

Purity of blood could have been an issue, though, especially in light of the prophecy. The promised prince was supposedly to be born from Aerys and Rhaella's line, and not from that of Maron Martell. Thus a match between Aegon and Daenerys and Viserys and Rhaenys would also make sense, keeping the bloodlines together as closely as possible, Aegon and Rhaenys were half-Martell but Viserys and Daenerys were as much of the 'magical line' of Aerys and Rhaella, the line which should bring forth the savior.

Marriages into major houses is not very likely, aside from, perhaps, the Baratheons (due to their close kinship to the Targaryens) because it would give to much power to those houses.

Because most options have been presented:

Rhaegar marries both Rhaenys and Dany to Aegon.

Rhaegar then looks for a house who's heir is of a similar age and female. This gives Viserys a chance to be Lord of a castle...maybe even has some ties to Targ blood?....Brienne of Tarth ;)

Hopefully she could beat some sense into him

7 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

How?

OK, I can see wondering how Cersei and Jaime have suffered injustice, but if you don't see how Tywin has, I'm shocked.  Tywin was, BTW, Rhaegar's biggest fan.  He did not begrudge their family's birth right, he begrudged the way he was shit on by Aerys over and over....and over.  Not saying the SoKL was the right response, but you cannot deny Tywin was treated unjustly by a dude that was supposed to be like his brother from a more royal mother.

On 3/24/2017 at 5:38 PM, Aporetic said:

Each other. Or....

Viserys + Rhaenys, Arianne Martell, Margaery Tyrell, Sansa Stark, 

Daenerys and Aegon, Renly Baratheon, Loras Tyrell, Rob Stark, or Joffery whateverhislastnamewouldbe

Robb wouldn't exist considering Brandon would likely be alive and have married Catelyn. Completely different kid would likely exist. Ditto for Sansa. I'm sure that there'd be Stark kids, but they wouldn't be the kids we know from canon.

Joffrey completely depends upon whether Jaime and Cersei are in the same location at the same time. And considering that Cersei tried to get Jaime as Kingsguard--that likely still happens, but without Robert becoming King, Cersei is likely married elsewhere, which means the chances of Joffrey existing are slim to none, I'd venture.

In fact arguably with the idea that the Rebellion never happened, Daenerys shouldn't exist considering Aerys could only get excited enough after burning people to death--which he only started doing after the Rebellion started.

People likely still alive, or perhaps are slightly different: Renly, Loras, & Margaery. These characters are based on unions that have already taken place prior to the rebellion. As such, I would expect them to have a reasonable chance at existing.

However, putting those points aside, let's handwave things and say that some character exist due to butterfly nets being put into place to ensure their existence and keep the Chaos Theory from going too wild. So in terms of nature being restricted, check mark.

That still doesn't account for situation and nurture differences.

I'd argue that Robb likely is a completely different person without a Jon Snow to grow up alongside and with a different father to look up to, so much so that he might as well not be Robb. Ditto for Sansa and the rest of the Starks.

With a different father, Joffrey would be raised differently. We're told that most of what Joffrey did when he was being cruel was an attempt to try and please either himself or his father. With a different father, this tendency might be noticed earlier and something done about it. Also him not being raised as Prince likely affects his personality greatly.

Renly not being Lord of Storm's End from age 5 onwards completely shifts his personality and he likely never meets Loras outside of the tourney circuit. And with Robert not living, that means Stannis is Lord of Storm's End. Heck, Tywin may have married Stannis and Cersei (Tywin and Steffon were friends after all). And I don't see Joffrey as Stannis' son being like he was in canon. I could still see him trying to get his father's affection and attention, but Joffrey would likely be a lot more stoic and overly stern in personality. He won't burst into emotions when crossed, like Robert would (Joffrey being a pale imitation of Robert by nurture alone), but instead like Stannis he grinds his teeth, seethes, pouts, and grows sarcastic and cold.

Arianne largely would be a little more pro-Iron Throne and less Dornish independence since her nephew and niece will sit the throne.

Mace probably tries to wed Margaery to Aegon, and likely gets very upset at when Rhaegar says his children (and Daenerys) must wed one another like the Conqueror and his wives. Once Daenerys is born, Rhaegar I think stops worrying about where Aegon's second sisterwife will come from--though he'll likely complain to his mother that she should be named Visenya--but hey, you can't always get what you want Rhaegar, so you make do with what you have.

I likely see the Faith getting in a tizzy over Rhaegar trying to have his son emulate Aegon and his sisterwives, so perhaps a big issue will be another Faith Uprising--though likely one that gets put down rather easily unless Rhaegar in marrying Targaryen to Targaryen manages to upset his lords too much.

So much rides on how well Rhaegar would have been as King. What alliances would be needed, who is plotting against whom based on what Rhaegar does as King, etc. Those who think about him being King in the books as we have them usually think of him with rose colored glasses, when likely the truth would be more complicated.

Polygamy is out.  Rhaegar would be considered a weak ruler, relatively speaking, compared to his dragon riding ancestors.  He would not have the power to make polygamy legal. 

Much would depend on Rhaegar's goals.  Was he trying to bring back the dragons?  With this in mind, purity of the bloodline would be the objective.  The ability to bring back the dragons and ride them is of paramount importance.  If Rhaegar simply wanted to build political alliances then I can see the following matches.

• Aegon + Daenerys.  This is an excellent match even if dragons are not the objective.
  • Viserys + Margary Tyrell.  It's good to have someone like the Tyrells in the family.  Rich and powerful they are.
  • Rhaenys + Edmure Tully

On 28/3/2017 at 3:04 AM, Aetta said:

OK, I can see wondering how Cersei and Jaime have suffered injustice, but if you don't see how Tywin has, I'm shocked.  Tywin was, BTW, Rhaegar's biggest fan.  He did not begrudge their family's birth right, he begrudged the way he was shit on by Aerys over and over....and over.  Not saying the SoKL was the right response, but you cannot deny Tywin was treated unjustly by a dude that was supposed to be like his brother from a more royal mother.

I mostly meant about the marriages. Aerys was not obligated to marry Rhaegar with Cersei.

On 3/31/2017 at 3:54 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I mostly meant about the marriages. Aerys was not obligated to marry Rhaegar with Cersei.

He wasn't.  He wasn't even obligated to make Tywin his hand.  But, once upon a time, marrying their children should've pleased Aerys as much as Robert wanting his kid to marry Ned's.

7 hours ago, Aetta said:

He wasn't.  He wasn't even obligated to make Tywin his hand.  But, once upon a time, marrying their children should've pleased Aerys as much as Robert wanting his kid to marry Ned's.

There was no reason to marry his kids to Tywin's. Tywin has been paid for his servise, the fact that he was the Hand doesn't mean that his children were the best possible candidates for Aerys' kids.

On 4/3/2017 at 8:48 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

There was no reason to marry his kids to Tywin's. Tywin has been paid for his servise, the fact that he was the Hand doesn't mean that his children were the best possible candidates for Aerys' kids.

I don't think it would be a payoff, I think it would've simply been a prudent matchmaking endeavor.

Assuming Aerys didn't know they were incestuous, what wouldn't be right about Jaime or Cersei? Not both, because if you are going to make political marriages (rather than inbreeding) then it might indeed be a smart move to bring in Dorne, or hell, the North for at least one child...which coulda been Viserys.  Not to mention Jaime was unavailable by the time Dany was conceived anway. But Cersei was a terrific option on her own merits, nothing to do with Tywin being the Hand. 

But Tywin wasn't just the Hand when Rhaegar was born.  He was (the closest thing to) Aerys's bromance.

On 3/24/2017 at 4:28 PM, Coolbeard the Exile said:

I guess age is a problem.

How about marrying Danerys to Robb Stark, Trystane Martell or Edmure Tully? They all seem like good matches.

I dont agree on that it is irrelevant how Viserys treats his wife. What if marry him to Arianne Martell or Margery and he abused, beat and raped her. It would be very bad for the relationship between the houses and probably it would be better if there was no marriage at all. Marrying him to some lesser powerful house would work though.

The problem is that it's heavily implied that Visery's treatment of Dany was informed largely by resentment he had after being cast out of his homeland, denied his birthright, mocked as a beggar, scavenging to provide for himself and Dany, etc. Over many years that sacrifice broke him.

This is a scenario where Visery's has none of that baggage and was raised by a mother who loved him and grew up as one of the most important social figures in Westeros. I mean even in the books Dany thinks about how Visery's was a great brother most of her life and that he took care of her. 

So it shouldn't be treated as a given that he's abusive. You are completely altering his formative years and changing a lot of the circumstances that made him that cold hearted and bitter. 

And even if you just assume Visery's ends up a horrible husband, which I would disagree with, he's still a son of the royal family and a valuable tool for a political alliance. 

Aside from that. The smartest thing for the Targaryen dynasty at that point would be to marry Dany off to Robb Stark. They don't have an especially close relationship and politically they are incredibly valuable being the House furthest North with the largest landmass. 

Just that alone means between Rheagar and Dany you have the two furthest Houses in the most strategic locations in an alliance with you. That's big for the Targs having marriages with the sister of Dorne's two princes and the Warden of the North.

Visery's has two key options. He marries Arianne and now Dorne is forever tied to House Targaryen or he marry's Margeary and gets the biggest army. I probably go with Marg. Dorne should be happy that the new crown prince is half Dornish. 

If Cersie isn't married by this point I definitely consider that as well. 

On 26/3/2017 at 7:37 AM, AlesterFlorentReborn said:

Dany and Robb for prophecy stuff. 

What prophecy stuff?

On 9/4/2017 at 0:37 PM, Rhaegar Frey said:

Daenerys - Jaime Lannister

Jaime was a KG.

On 9/4/2017 at 7:48 AM, Aetta said:

what wouldn't be right about Jaime or Cersei?

They have not Valyrian blood. One way or an other the Martells were related to the Targs.

On 9/4/2017 at 7:48 AM, Aetta said:

But Cersei was a terrific option on her own merits, nothing to do with Tywin being the Hand. 

Cersei had just a powerful father while Elia had the title of the princess, the blood and her relatives were not Tywinlike.

Archived