LGBTQ+ 5 -- Now With More Gender Outlaws

Xray the Enforcer

Last thread reached 400. Do continue. :)

Reminder: This thread is for the discussion of issues relating to the lives of LBGTQ+ (lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender/transsexual, queer/questioning) people. This thread aims to be a supportive space for issues on sexuality and gender identities. Please do not post comments that negate, belittle, or insult people's chosen identity.

This thread operates with a number of givens, including (but not limited to): that equal marriage rights are human rights, and thus are not subject to debate in this thread; that bisexuality is a legitimate orientation and is not up for debate in this thread; among others. This is not an exhaustive list, and it is up to the mods' discretion what is or isn't a legitimate avenue of debate. 

It seems that the Trump administration has removed any 2020 census questions about sexual orientation or gender identity, as reported here.  As expected,  all the activists are upset, because how can a government provide services to people, if it doesn't know where an how many exist.  The question I raise is with the Orange Hitler in charge, why would anyone want to identify themselves as LGBT to the government?  That seems a little like a Jew asking a Nazi official for yellow stars to wear.

Thoughts?

It seems that the Trump administration has removed any 2020 census questions about sexual orientation or gender identity, as reported here.  As expected,  all the activists are upset, because how can a government provide services to people, if it doesn't know where an how many exist.  The question I raise is with the Orange Hitler in charge, why would anyone want to identify themselves as LGBT to the government?  That seems a little like a Jew asking a Nazi official for yellow stars to wear.

Thoughts?

I'm ok with checking the same-sex household button and would prefer the option to be there. For those worried about the information being used in nefarious ways, they can simply lie or not fill in that part. But the option should be there.

I would happily and proudly tick that box on the census form. I DGAF what Cheeto Benito and his overflowing toilet bowl of cronies think. I mean, let's look at it this way: I am already marked for the gulag for a number of different reasons, so what the fuck does it matter if there's yet one more justification? 

So yeah, I'm pissed that this won't be on the census form. 

That's how I feel.  The internet exists.  There's no way to retroactively hide my relationship history.  Not to mention there are tons of official documents that lists me as a big fat queer.  I'd tick that box.  I'm pissed as fuck that it's been removed from future census.  

I think I have ADD anyway, a trip to the concentration camp might be to my benefit.

On a related note my V.A. therapist mentioned that the V.A. would no longer be asking about sexuality, gender identity, etc. because 'I guess they have all the information they need'.

I didn't have the heart to crush his naivete. He really is a nice and well meaning guy.

I will fill out like the last one that was released.  During that time, between 194- and 2010 the only thing that had changed on my block was that the "sister's" changed sides of the house.  Occupants on the other side actually worked where my brood did in 2010.  I am not ticking any "orientation" box.  Up yerz, feds.

I don't know much of anything about being LGBTQ, but I do know a bit about the census. And they are so overwhelmed and under-staffed that they wouldn't be able to use their data to draw up any kinds of lists for nefarious purposes probably until 2025/26. And even then the data would be highly questionable; whole lotta straight people would end up in the gulag while a lot of LGBTQ folks safely drink mimosas with their cats (I assume. I mean, as a straight person I enjoy doing that).

On the other hand, they would be able to at least have rough geographic estimates (maybe only at the state level, but maybe some sub-state regions) of the LGBTQ population by 2022; which, in a functioning government, could at least be used to help direct funding to needed services.

So on the balance, seems like a negative move.

16 minutes ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

Why provide such information to red states, where they will not only not provide services, but will actively use the information to harm that part of the population?

I'm not talking about providing the info to red states (although yes, census data is available to states and the general public; albeit never in sizes smaller than certain geographic catchment areas and never with personally identifiable information), I mean for the use by the Federal government.

For instance if the census shows that X% of the population in state1 is transgendered, and Y% of the population in state2 is transgendered, and X is a much larger number than Y; then a (properly functioning) Federal agency knows it should direct more resources to state1 for various support services, looking into potential hate crimes, etc. There are other indicators an agency could use to estimate the transgendered population of state1 and state2, but they would be significantly less accurate, would be much more out-dated, and are often more subject to fudging due to political pressures than a simple census count.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

On the other hand, they would be able to at least have rough geographic estimates (maybe only at the state level, but maybe some sub-state regions) of the LGBTQ population by 2022; which, in a functioning government, could at least be used to help direct funding to needed services.

The problem is this is an issue where a relatively high proportion of people are likely to answer falsely, especially those living in less tolerant areas. So the census will both underestimate the total LGBTQ population, and give an inaccurate impression of where they are.

26 minutes ago, felice said:

The problem is this is an issue where a relatively high proportion of people are likely to answer falsely, especially those living in less tolerant areas. So the census will both underestimate the total LGBTQ population, and give an inaccurate impression of where they are.

Yeah, that makes sense. I can imagine several steps the government could take to address that issue, but no sense getting into them considering who'll be running the government during the next census. 

Still; there's going to be at least one Democratic administration sometime in the 2021-2031 time frame, and they're going to be hamstrung due to moves like this. Which is probably the point.

• 2 weeks later...

HEY QUEERS!   I just wanted to check in.  Our organization at the school is going to meet for the first time on Tuesday.  We hope we have 10 students ready to get going.  I didn't want it to move this fast, but we have a childless English teacher in the mix.  She is just getting that shit DONE.  Wish me luck.  She's pretty great.  I want to be associated with the group, but glad she's running point on dealing with administration and the fucking school charter.

In other news, I am going to visit my girl for Easter break/  I leave Thursday.  I suspect three hellish days at work ahead of me.  I have hidden in my house for the weekend.  As a result, my fucking neighbors have a jazz "flautist" blasting garbage tootling all over the neighborhood.  I am not denigrating flute players, just this particular style.  

I am going to rock some metal and pre-clean the house for my trip.  I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MY GIRL!

Thanks nerds!  Much love to you all.

On 4/8/2017 at 10:49 PM, Lily Valley said:

HEY QUEERS!   I just wanted to check in.  Our organization at the school is going to meet for the first time on Tuesday.  We hope we have 10 students ready to get going.  I didn't want it to move this fast, but we have a childless English teacher in the mix.  She is just getting that shit DONE.  Wish me luck.  She's pretty great.  I want to be associated with the group, but glad she's running point on dealing with administration and the fucking school charter.

In other news, I am going to visit my girl for Easter break/  I leave Thursday.  I suspect three hellish days at work ahead of me.  I have hidden in my house for the weekend.  As a result, my fucking neighbors have a jazz "flautist" blasting garbage tootling all over the neighborhood.  I am not denigrating flute players, just this particular style.  

I am going to rock some metal and pre-clean the house for my trip.  I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MY GIRL!

Thanks nerds!  Much love to you all.

Props and luck yo! How'd the meeting go? How're your pre-trip nerves?

5 hours ago, WinterFox said:

Props and luck yo! How'd the meeting go? How're your pre-trip nerves?

They're pretty bad. I have some stuff going on at home. Nearly cancelled trip.  Freaked out,  I called her and told her all about it.  She was actually freaked out that I wasn't calling back because I didn't like her anymore.  People are so stupid.  Trip is on, Home problem is not fixed AT ALL, but I am going.

3 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

They're pretty bad. I have some stuff going on at home. Nearly cancelled trip.  Freaked out,  I called her and told her all about it.  She was actually freaked out that I wasn't calling back because I didn't like her anymore.  People are so stupid.  Trip is on, Home problem is not fixed AT ALL, but I am going.

Home will be there when you're done with your woman. Let her imminent embraces steady your heart through any distractions between longing and fulfillment.

Archived