LGBTQ+ 5 -- Now With More Gender Outlaws

Xray the Enforcer

@Lily Valley-

I'm picturing your "home problem" as termites, here's hoping they don't eat the whole place while you're gone. Enjoy your trip and lots of love.

RE: census - It would really be nice to know more accurately how large of a group we are in the U.S. A poll from last year showed 1.4 million trans adults, double previous estimates, still just shy of 0.6%. And the 2011 poll showing the overall LGBT population at 3.8% is almost certainly due to underreporting, of bi people in particular (1.8%? come on). I just think it matters, apart from how governments services are allotted, in how we see ourselves. Taking it off the census is deliberate erasure.

4 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

@Lily Valley-

I'm picturing your "home problem" as termites, here's hoping they don't eat the whole place while you're gone. Enjoy your trip and lots of love.

RE: census - It would really be nice to know more accurately how large of a group we are in the U.S. A poll from last year showed 1.4 million trans adults, double previous estimates, still just shy of 0.6%. And the 2011 poll showing the overall LGBT population at 3.8% is almost certainly due to underreporting, of bi people in particular (1.8%? come on). I just think it matters, apart from how governments services are allotted, in how we see ourselves. Taking it off the census is deliberate erasure.

Trump and Pence are in power.  What services?

54 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

There are still states and municipalities that can draw on census info.

I suspect the fact that when I transitioned, 40 years ago, reliance on government was not a thing.  The best we could do is manipulate government, which is how I got my ID and Social Security records changed.  Hell, back then, making our existence known was the antithesis of everything that was our objective...blending in with the rest of society and leading as productive lives as we were able.  In all that time, I was never denied housing, and as far as I know, never denied employment because I was trans. (Although I did lose one job because I forgot to remove the lesbian symbol button from my jacket before I got to the office, and it was seen by the corporate comptroller.)  Government had nothing to do with it.  Nope, with Trump and Pence in charge, and with Sessions heading the DOJ, I'd rather that the government knew as little about me as possible.  You are more of an optimist than I'll ever be, so I hope you're right.

On 3/31/2017 at 5:33 AM, Robin Of House Hill said:

Why provide such information to red states, where they will not only not provide services, but will actively use the information to harm that part of the population?

Pretty wrong to assume "red" voters are so anti gay

8 hours ago, Bo Peep said:

Pretty wrong to assume "red" voters are so anti gay

States that have republican governments have proven to be hostile to LGBT+ rights, so I'm not sure what your point is. 

See North Carolina's bathroom bill + their attempt to ban gay marriage, South Dakota allowing adoption services to discriminate against LGBT+ families, and Kentucky passing a bill that allows discrimination against LGBT+ students as a few recent examples. 

So maybe #notallredvoters are anti-LGBT, but it sure seems like the people they elect are. 

[mod] Please keep in mind that this is not a debate thread and it is not a general politics thread either. The mods will delete comments that we feel are not in the spirit of this particular discussion and may direct you to take your commentary elsewhere. Thank you. [/mod]

44 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I can't agree.  If I look in the mirror and don't like what I see, I'm not going to force that on others.  Beside, my philosophy is different than current thinking which dismisses the that  a cisnormative appearance is advantageous.  So, I'm still determined to lose weight, but you can damn well bet I'll never be seen in public, wearing a bikini.

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

A nice poster for some, but like Robin it doesn't work for me. The 'love the body you're in' movement is great, but I am often annoyed that any desire to improve personal physical appearance is now often portrayed as a negative attitude.

It isn't quite what I'm saying, either.  While I find it demoralizing to see what age has done to my appearance, I strive not to detract further from that appearance.  Hence, the struggle to lose weight.  My real goal is not to look attractive.  It is to NOT attract attention.  It is a safety issue and an approach that has worked well for me for the past 40 years. There are many different reasons that people "give a shit" about what others think.

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

That's not what that is saying.

I know, but just like the poster I was generalizing.  The other side to the 'you're already perfect' conversation is that second point which is 'What they think doesn't matter'.

To some people (like me) it does matter how I'm seen as much by myself as by others. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant at you. I know you're being supportive. Maybe I'm just in a mood.

Robin, I am sorry if it seemed I was speaking for You. I meant that you and I both disagreed with that sentiment, not that we had the same reasons.

4 hours ago, Underfoot said:

So maybe #notallredvoters are anti-LGBT, but it sure seems like the people they elect are. 

The same could be said for blue elects, though. Yet I quoted somebody who said the census information would literally be used to "harm" gays. Not supporting gay marriage and actively trying to hurt people are 2 very different things. The line between them shouldn't be allowed to be blurred

2 hours ago, WinterFox said:

To some people (like me) it does matter how I'm seen as much by myself as by others. 

That's fine. But it's important to realize, as you move into a feminine space, that somebody will ALWAYS say you're toofat/toougly/tooskinny/toowhite/toodark/toowhatever. Thing is, cis-gendered and femme-presenting people have had our entire lives to learn to navigate this space (or not navigate it, and end up with an eating disorder) -- you're jumping in feet-first. So just be aware that what you want is likely being swayed by an entire culture that wants you to always feel terrible about yourself based on your appearance. Wanting to shed extra pounds in and of itself it not the problem -- the cultural constructs around them are. You'll look great in a bikini, I promise you. :love: 

13 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

That's fine. But it's important to realize, as you move into a feminine space, that somebody will ALWAYS say you're toofat/toougly/tooskinny/toowhite/toodark/toowhatever. Thing is, cis-gendered and femme-presenting people have had our entire lives to learn to navigate this space (or not navigate it, and end up with an eating disorder) -- you're jumping in feet-first. So just be aware that what you want is likely being swayed by an entire culture that wants you to always feel terrible about yourself based on your appearance. Wanting to shed extra pounds in and of itself it not the problem -- the cultural constructs around them are. You'll look great in a bikini, I promise you. :love: 

^_^

Sorry, rough morning.

[mod] We do not tolerate "devil's advocate" posts in this thread regarding LGBTQI+ persons' civil and human rights. Please take that shit elsewhere (e.g. not this board). Regulars, if you see more of that, please report those posts so a mod can address them in a timely manner. Thank you. [/mod]

Archived