LGBTQ+ 5 -- Now With More Gender Outlaws

Xray the Enforcer

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

You got it out there once, and you made it seem like a normal thing you assume everyone already knew. That's a great way to do it and next time will feel easier.

Nat and I were out at a queer club event on the weekend I was reminded just how wonderful and valuable these spaces are. The area we live in now is arguably the most LGBTIQ-dominated (and specifically queer women) in the most queer-friendly city in Australia and it's easy enough to get used to that and forget just how incredible it is to be in a place that is so entirely safe and joyful.

So I had all of that in my head when I read this piece by my friend Jason this morning. I've already shared it on facebook but linking it here for the rest of you. It is powerful and heartbreaking and deserves to be read by as many people as possible

https://medium.com/@solidshepard/america-failed-the-pulse-victims-thus-far-aa936851cb90

ETA it has since been picked up by huffpost, I'm going to link both because I'm not actually sure which source of views are more beneficial from the pov of a young aspiring writer...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/since-the-tragedy-america-has-failed-the-pulse-shooting-victims_us_593ee4fde4b0b13f2c6d2b0d

I didn't even think of the timing on the weekend when we were there, but it does feel like the perfect thing we could have done. One thing that Pulse showed me was that our community is one I'm proud to be a member of, the way it categorically resisted attempts to be used by bigoted politicians and mostly just involved pulling together in love. There is so much animosity directed at us from externally that the contrast of happiness and goodwill when we come together is that much more stark. All the usual tensions of crowds just seem to fade away for the most part, and we can give each other the benefit of the doubt and our trust. Its not perfect, and not all LGTBQI communities are the same (see bi and trans exclusionary ones), but the one we fit into? Is amazing.

I'm glad that you have a community you can work with.  I'm sure it is a comfort.  Community is not something that works for me, but I live in a liberal area of a conservative state.  People here seem to live and let live, so barring anything really unexpected, we are good.

I read the article, this afternoon.  While I don't think anyone foresaw Trump being elected, there have been many indicators around the US, that conservatives were gaining in strength and that didn't bode well for LGBTIQ.  A year after Pulse, I have to question how many in the US actually give a damn.  Sorry if I'm sounding a pessimistic note.

I've always been a bit intimidated by going to queer clubs. Probably subconscious biases.

The reason I popped back (before getting sucked into the politics thread) was to announce that I told my bestest friend in the whole world that I'm trans. And he didn't really care! He's coming home from Afghanistan next month and we're making plans to hang out!

Oregon has become the first state in the US to allow a third gender option on licenses and identification cards, a major civil rights victory for non-binary people who identify as neither male nor female.

State officials adopted a new rule on Thursday that allows people to put an “X” marker on state IDs and driver’s licenses instead of the traditional “M” for male or “F” for female, a move that activists hope will spark reforms across the country that expand the legal recognition of gender-nonconforming people.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/15/oregon-third-gender-option-identity-law

Kara and brook, apology accepted, with the stipulation :leer: .   Pride was SO FUN.   We had a great parade.  

Winterfox, that is super news.  And GO OREGON.   As ass backwards as Louisiana is, we're the only Southern state that hasn't tried to install some type of regressive laws with the new administration.  Our legislature is already in Deep Doo Doo with it's constituents for bungling our budget.  They really don't want New Orleans showing up on the lawn.  

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Oregon has become the first state in the US to allow a third gender option on licenses and identification cards, a major civil rights victory for non-binary people who identify as neither male nor female.

State officials adopted a new rule on Thursday that allows people to put an “X” marker on state IDs and driver’s licenses instead of the traditional “M” for male or “F” for female, a move that activists hope will spark reforms across the country that expand the legal recognition of gender-nonconforming people.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/15/oregon-third-gender-option-identity-law

The legal problems might be numerous.  If a person with such an ID is incarcerated, there is no law as to how they are housed.  If other states have no similar category, what is the status of that person if they travel outside Oregon?  Considering the current conservative drift in this country, what bathrooms will they be permitted to use?  

It's so weird to see your ex's profile on OKC, especially when it shows up under my 'matches' as the highest compatibility rating.  Yeah, I already knew we were 93% compatible, thanks OKC.  

Unfortunately, there's just that one sticking point that neither of us can move past. :(

:grouphug: One of the problems with the community being much smaller is stuff like that. And that's even in a city with a large LGBTQI community like Sydney, its just still small enough the same faces will keep showing up.

sorry to get off topic but my 14yr old niece came out to me tonight...my oldest niece has been out for yrs but for some reason i did not know how to address this new information...there are members herein this thread who know me and now i do not have an issue but karate princess is just a kid...how do i deal...all input is valuable to me...

Well just remember that while 14 is just a kid in terms of life experience, its not a kid in terms of finding yourself. Its in fact precisely the age for that. Just show her you appreciate her sharing another piece of herself with you, and that you cherish her.

2 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

sorry to get off topic but my 14yr old niece came out to me tonight...my oldest niece has been out for yrs but for some reason i did not know how to address this new information...there are members herein this thread who know me and now i do not have an issue but karate princess is just a kid...how do i deal...all input is valuable to me...

Just be cool man, that's all I could possibly ask when I came out. All I wanted was not not have a big deal.

Depending on her personality she might be in a hurry to answer questions, having probably kept this information bottled up for a long time. So if it seems like she wants to talk, just be politely supportive and interested.

well we woke up and had breakfast together and then she went to cheer practice and to her internship at her karate dojo...like every other morning...she told me thanks for listening...i said always...and that was it...

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

Well just remember that while 14 is just a kid in terms of life experience, its not a kid in terms of finding yourself. Its in fact precisely the age for that. Just show her you appreciate her sharing another piece of herself with you, and that you cherish her.

thanks, was hoping you would see this, Karaddin. i have so much respect for you and value your opinion. since you know me on FB you know i worship her and was touched that she felt safe enough to share this...i explained that this information is her own and the timetable is all her choice...i just was surprised she told me and not Number One Niece...

11 hours ago, WinterFox said:

Just be cool man, that's all I could possibly ask when I came out. All I wanted was not not have a big deal.

Depending on her personality she might be in a hurry to answer questions, having probably kept this information bottled up for a long time. So if it seems like she wants to talk, just be politely supportive and interested.

yes of course, that makes sense, thank you WF. i told her i would answer any question i could and would help her find answers i didn't have, same as i have done with every other question she has ever asked me...

1 hour ago, rocksniffer said:

well we woke up and had breakfast together and then she went to cheer practice and to her internship at her karate dojo...like every other morning...she told me thanks for listening...i said always...and that was it...

thanks, was hoping you would see this, Karaddin. i have so much respect for you and value your opinion. since you know me on FB you know i worship her and was touched that she felt safe enough to share this...i explained that this information is her own and the timetable is all her choice...i just was surprised she told me and not Number One Niece...

yes of course, that makes sense, thank you WF. i told her i would answer any question i could and would help her find answers i didn't have, same as i have done with every other question she has ever asked me...

You're a top bloke, keep on being you :)

Archived