LGBTQ+ 5 -- Now With More Gender Outlaws

Xray the Enforcer

Well, you all were right!  I finally had to just ask because it was driving me crazy and I really couldn't move into a house with people I'm basically in love with.  The response was pretty much "Um, Pepper, you're so fucking dumb because YES YES YES this throuple thing is what we want and we are so sick of you going off to get some stupid fucking other partner instead of just being with us after all these fucking years jesusfuckingchrist if you back out now we will kill you."  

So yeah, throuple* moving into the Rust Belt this weekend.  :)

*really hate that word, btw.  

17 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Well, you all were right!  I finally had to just ask because it was driving me crazy and I really couldn't move into a house with people I'm basically in love with.  The response was pretty much "Um, Pepper, you're so fucking dumb because YES YES YES this throuple thing is what we want and we are so sick of you going off to get some stupid fucking other partner instead of just being with us after all these fucking years jesusfuckingchrist if you back out now we will kill you."  

Yo! Way to go! 

We never did lunch :( I'm sorry. 

20 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

That's so cool! Im glad it worked out!! <3

I need suggestions about how to ascertain what areas of Ireland are hostile to LGBT folks.  I know there are various LGBT organizations in Ireland, but I kind of doubt that they'll supply someone they don't know with a map that has areas marked, "Here there be monsters."

The move looks like it is going to happen in 12 to 24 months, so this is intelligence gathering to make sure we don't wind up in a hostile area. 

The only contribution I can make is a list of the same-sex marriage referendum results from 2015 - all except one constituency was majority yes, with the highest yes votes being in and around Dublin. I'm not sure how much that correlates with what you're asking, though - it just seems to indicate that Ireland follows the usual pattern of cities being more accepting than rural areas.

Thank you.  That was quite helpful.  It looks like Roscommon–South Leitrim (Dáil Éireann constituency)  Would be an area to stay away from.  Not a problem.  It wasn't an area we were looking at anyway. :D

The major cities tend to be too expensive and the really rural areas lack easy access to shopping, etc., unless you own a car, so we are looking for an area that is in between those, that has access to bus and rail transportation.  What we're looking for is an area that isn't hostile

8 hours ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

I need suggestions about how to ascertain what areas of Ireland are hostile to LGBT folks.  I know there are various LGBT organizations in Ireland, but I kind of doubt that they'll supply someone they don't know with a map that has areas marked, "Here there be monsters."

The move looks like it is going to happen in 12 to 24 months, so this is intelligence gathering to make sure we don't wind up in a hostile area. 

Further to the earlier advice, I'd recommend somewhere with a younger population. Even by western standards, the change in attitudes has been dramatic in recent generations.

I'm taking that into consideration.  I'm currently looking at towns with populations between 20,000 and 30,000.Large enough that I can do my best to blend in and not be noticed.  Attitudes may have changed, but I still go by the idea that if people don't know you are something they hate, you have an advantage.

I've been looking at the demographics (where available) of different towns, and have also been using Google Street View just to get a look at the people one sees on the streets, just to get an idea of the types of people I might encounter.

In addition to google street views, I also like to check out what sorts of groups are available in the area.  I even look at the types of churches.  Not that I intend to join these groups or churches, but I want to see what sort of demand there is for them.  A place with few liberal groups or churches relative to population size might not be a place I'd want to live.  The locations of the churches or where the groups meet might also give an indication for what part of the town is the most ideal to live.  Also, check out expat/immigrant groups in the area and see how they fare.  Maybe the town is perfect in everyway and no one will bother you except you find out that the minute you open your mouth and locals find out you aren't from around there and they grow hostile.  

Archived