LGBTQ+ 5 -- Now With More Gender Outlaws

Xray the Enforcer

One thing that people in power could do would be to try to put pressure on Switzerland to return suspected child rapist Roman Polanski to the USA, so he can face charges. Nothing shows the disgusting attitudes in Hollywood better than the idea that this man should be forgiven and even celebrated because he is good at making films. There is clearly a belief that they are "special" and the same rules shouldn't apply. I am 100% behind the femininsts who crashed his celebration in France, it's sickening that they thought this event was appropriate.

I googled for some information, and found this link- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8277886.stm

Third paragraph- "According to trade paper Screen Daily, Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein is also backing the director".

It all links up.

3 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Good luck with the move, Robin. 

Thanks, even though the move is 12 to 24 month away, and things could change.  This all came about when my wife discovered that Irish law makes her and Irish citizen and eligible for an Irish passport.  I told her she should get one, as she has no passport, currently.  She asked why an Irish rather than US passport.  I told her that if the US went to shit, she'd have a safe haven.  That seemed to make sense, especially when she discovered living there was affordable.  When she had some question about the possibility of my gaining long term residency, she lost interest in the idea, but when we found how it was possible, she embraced the idea, again.

Anyone who knows me will realize that the idea of moving to an area I'm unfamiliar with, isn't something I do willingly, but this provides her with safety, and let's face it, I can sit in front of a computer monitor there, as easily as I do here.  And grocery shopping and other necessary trips out of the house, are unlikely to be any different there, than here.

From what you've said, I think you'll be fine. I've never lived in Ireland, but I have family who are Irish Catholic. It's a pretty limited perspective, but it's like an Asian culture, there's a big focus on "keeping face". More about appearances than true beliefs. My point is, if you wanted to be an activist, unfortunately you might get in some trouble. As long as you aren't "rubbing anyone's nose in it" they might even quite like it- "we're actually very tolerant round here, we've got that nice couple next door...".

17 hours ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

I'm taking that into consideration.  I'm currently looking at towns with populations between 20,000 and 30,000.Large enough that I can do my best to blend in and not be noticed.  Attitudes may have changed, but I still go by the idea that if people don't know you are something they hate, you have an advantage.

I've been looking at the demographics (where available) of different towns, and have also been using Google Street View just to get a look at the people one sees on the streets, just to get an idea of the types of people I might encounter.

Is taking a holiday to Ireland to scope out prospective locations feasible for you?

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:03 AM, Robin Of House Hill said:

I'm taking that into consideration.  I'm currently looking at towns with populations between 20,000 and 30,000.Large enough that I can do my best to blend in and not be noticed.  Attitudes may have changed, but I still go by the idea that if people don't know you are something they hate, you have an advantage.

I've been looking at the demographics (where available) of different towns, and have also been using Google Street View just to get a look at the people one sees on the streets, just to get an idea of the types of people I might encounter.

Congratulations on the moving plans Robin!

Have you looked at Galway? It's a bit bigger than your range (80K population), but the folks there seemed liberal enough to me when I spent time there, and it's a beautiful area.

3 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

Congratulations on the moving plans Robin!

Have you looked at Galway? It's a bit bigger than your range (80K population), but the folks there seemed liberal enough to me when I spent time there, and it's a beautiful area.

It is next on my list of places to look at.  I'm currently researching Navan, which Is smaller in size, has enough modernity and convenience to look promising.  It's also closer to Dublin, which will be our base of operations in looking for a place when we get there.  Since it has an annual Pride event, I'm assuming it isn't a terribly hostile area.  But that, in itself raises another question.  I can't find any demographics like the ones in the US that provide information on what portion of the area is LGBT.  In the last 40 years, I've always found the risk of detection was greater where there was a higher density of LGBT population than areas where awareness was minimal.  I've already looked at County Cork, since my wife has family there, but it's a bit to rural and very traditional looking, which suggests, to me, that the people are traditional, as well.Too bad, because Skibbereen looks idyllic.

ETA:  While Galway looks very nice, rents look a bit high.

I played my first game against a gay inclusive rugby team today (they’ve been around for a while but it’s the first time I’ve been at the level to play against them). It’s good to see that the general impression that team sports aren’t a welcoming place for gay men seems to be becoming a thing of the past.

On 11/11/2017 at 1:44 PM, ljkeane said:

I played my first game against a gay inclusive rugby team today (they’ve been around for a while but it’s the first time I’ve been at the level to play against them). It’s good to see that the general impression that team sports aren’t a welcoming place for gay men seems to be becoming a thing of the past.

Right on, bro! Any athlete worth their salt that when they're going after 'dat ass in a game, they only want to put it in their trophy case later. 

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-australia-41992344

On mobile so sorry for not formatting correctlt but AUSTRALIA VOTES OVERWHELMINGLY TO SUPPORT SAME SEX MARRIAGE *cries an laughs hystericslly*

I hate to be a party pooper, but let's see what the politicians do, before cheering too much.

It'll pass. The majority of mp's have been in favour of changing the law for some time now it's just been a small (but powerful within the government) group that have been blocking any legislation from making it to a vote.

There's going to be some bullshit delaying tactics and arguments over 'religious freedom' ammendments but there isn't really much they can do. The Gov doesn't even have a majority in either house at the moment & Labor & the Greens have both agreed on an acceptable bill.

On 10/23/2017 at 6:04 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

that's cool! congratulations to your students, and to you for being someone they look to for guidance on what can be a thorny, and sometimes pretty scary, topic for those who are questioning or who are still in the closet. :grouphug: 

Concur!  I left our gay club to a couple of straight women who had more time to get it together sooner, the results were awesome student government and that shit is running itself.  I'm so proud of our students and I am proud of yours!  Honestly, if you just give the kids a bit of room to breathe, they'll do all the work!  Kudos!  I can't tell you how much relief I've seen on the faces of students who have had me just show up for their events.  Knowing faculty has their back and are risking themselves first was a huge thing on our campus.  Great work.  :grouphug:

Geez!  This post is from about forever ago and my browser saved it.  Apologies if it's a repeat!

I got back home last night from a work conference that crashed into my girlfriend's HUGE debut back into her field after a 7 year hiatus.  I cannot tell you how relieved I was that she managed it without me.  I felt like a piece of SHIT not being here.  It was so last minute and things have been so crazy (end of term, this conference was planned months ago, etc.).  She had to attend a gala $400 ticket type of affair and she has social anxiety, so that was AWFUL. 

She actually had a nice time, made some good connections and best of all, got a ticket for an artist friend of ours who absolutely WORKED the crowd for his benefit.  Seriously, a ticket would have been wasted on me anyway.  Absolute win.  I am so glad.  I was really worried that we'd be doing constant my career / your career tradeoffs.  I'm going into finals right now and it's actually better that she is also swamped with work.

Yes, @Dr. Pepper, I made a mess on my way out, but I scrubbed both bathrooms and vacuumed the whole house before I packed.  Spending today fetching supplies, putting away the clean dishes and doing laundry (but not folding or putting it up).

Archived