Who will kill Jaime Lannister

I'm not usually one of those people who think everything is foreshadowing, but this bit caught my eye: 

The brazier was cold again by the time Khal Drogo returned. Cohollo was leading a packhorse behind him, with the carcass of a great white lion slung across its back. Above, the stars were coming out. The khal laughed as he swung down off his stallion and showed her the scars on his leg where the hrakkar had raked him through his leggings. "I shall make you a cloak of its skin, moon of my life," he swore.

Maybe Drogon's gonna kill Jaime?

On 3/25/2017 at 5:35 PM, Canon Claude said:

Tyrion. It would be great to see Tyrion prove his paranoid sister right and kill her, because that's her worst fear. And it would also be great to fulfill his promise to Jaime and pay his debt like a true Lannister.

I don't think there is anyway Tyrion will kill Jaime. I actually think he may well betray Daenerys to save Jaime, the betrayal for love. He still loves Jaime completely.

3 hours ago, Makk said:

I don't think there is anyway Tyrion will kill Jaime. I actually think he may well betray Daenerys to save Jaime, the betrayal for love. He still loves Jaime completely.

I don't know. ... Tyrion has done a pretty good job of being a turning worm so far, and he did challenge Jaime to a duel, so it would be sort of honourable.

But I also think if Jaime is around when Dany comes to Westeros he could side with her and Tyrion. It makes sense, Jaime and Tyrion both have the trickster trait and are loyal to their house. 

On 25 March 2017 at 2:34 PM, Smirking Knight said:

Jaime's story is in some ways very much like that of Tyr (beautiful swordsman, part of the royal family, loses his hand to a wolf). If his story continues to follow that of Tyr, Jaime will die in a final, climactic battle fighting one of the most terrible monsters the enemy has to offer. 

That said, I agree with the camp thinking that he'll kill Cersei, likely right before or right after she unleashes wildfire on King's Landing. If it is after, I also agree he'll probably let himself die in the conflagration.

Are you talking about the Norse God or is there another fantasy novel Tyr based on the Norse god?

16 minutes ago, Castellan said:

Are you talking about the Norse God or is there another fantasy novel Tyr based on the Norse god?

The Norse God, who according to at least some versions fights Garm during Ragnarok. Not sure what the equivalent of Garm would be for the Others, but perhaps a giant, huge direwolf/snow bear, or even a dragon raised from the dead?

He will die twice: first time he will die in a trial by combat to absolve himself of his crimes (Kingslaying Aerys, pushing Bran out of the window, attacking Ned in the streets, etc.). And it will be him fighting Jon Snow one on one ("a man who passes the sentence should swing the sword").

Jaime will win the fight and prove his innocence of his crimes in the eyes of gods, but when he is about to finish off Jon, Arya will stab Needle through his eye. He will be resurrected by Theon Greyjoy, and once he is back from death, he will coronate Jon with Robb's crown and swear his sword to him, transforming into Kingmaker and Jon's new Lord Commander of Kingsguard.

Second time around he will die trying to protect Arya and Sansa from Cersei and UnGregor. Brienne, Podrick, the Hound, Bronn and Loras will also partake and die. King's Landing will burn in wildfire, but Arya and Sansa will escape.

1 hour ago, Smirking Knight said:

The Norse God, who according to at least some versions fights Garm during Ragnarok. Not sure what the equivalent of Garm would be for the Others, but perhaps a giant, huge direwolf/snow bear, or even a dragon raised from the dead?

Its funny because about an hour before your post I was reading up on Ragnorak (which I came across somewhere else on the forum) and jotting down references in ASOIF of which Tyr/Jaime would have to be one. I gather Tyr dies precisely because he has previously lost his hand and can't deal a final blow.

He won't live or die either, but recieve the Kiss of Life by UN!Brienne when it's needed.

She would have kept it a secret of course, that she already and literally died in attempt to hold up on all her vows. Now that she really fights like she has nothing to lose, she is likely to become a living legend. But her POV will give the reader an idea what Beric once suffered, having to fight with nothing to gain for the own life and only consuming it in the process. When Brienne passes that dooming power to Jaime, the consequence is already known through Brienne's eyes.

For Brienne that un-life is meant to actually see what life she had left behind to become knight (Renly was a poor compromise as she was merely his lady-in-waiting). For Jaime it means to truely give up the life he once had. He might become aware of his love for Brienne, but their equal choices led them to that mobile concept of kingdom and knighthood represented by the BwB, where a simple kiss endangeres the order. The Maiden of Tarth knows about the chivalrous kind of love only that J'aime-Jaime has to learn. To tell his monster of a battle it is usefull for GRRM to have two fighters that are capable beyond believe and truely independent. Since nobody is born that way, the undeath-device is a good way to write them nonetheless. Brienne already undeath finally dying for a dying Jaime to pass over her un-life, I can see that. And the humour in that, too.

10 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Where do you get this from?

Is this your own personal belief, or is there something from aDwD that explains it?

Well it is my own personal belief but why would I believe something if there was nothing in the text to support it? Originally Jaime was Tyrion's hero, his favorite person in all the world. Where other Lannisters reviled him, Jaime gave him the love he so dearly wanted. He risked his own life by freeing Tyrion from a death sentence. And then Jaime told him the truth about Tysha... 

His thoughts turned to Tysha, who had so briefly been his lady wife. It was Jaime, he thought, despairing. He was my own blood, my big strong brother. When I was small he brought me toys, barrel hoops and blocks and a carved wooden lion. He gave me my first pony and taught me how to ride him. When he said that he had bought you for me, I never doubted him. Why would I? He was Jaime, and you were just some girl who'd played a part. I had feared it from the start, from the moment you first smiled at me and let me touch your hand.

...which took Tyrion to a very dark place. It isn't just because there was actually a women, who wasn't a whore, that may have loved him and he ended up gang-raping her. The dark place he was in for the first half of ADWD was mainly because of Jaime's betrayal. But throughout the book he keeps thinking of Jaime in a good light...then remembers he is supposed to hate him.

I should have killed the eunuch as well. A little more blood on his hands, what would it matter? He could not say what had stayed his dagger. Not gratitude. Varys had saved him from a headsman's sword, but only because Jaime had compelled him. Jaime … no, better not to think of Jaime.

That night Tyrion Lannister dreamed of a battle that turned the hills of Westeros as red as blood. He was in the midst of it, dealing death with an axe as big as he was, fighting side by side with Barristan the Bold and Bittersteel as dragons wheeled across the sky above them. In the dream he had two heads, both noseless. His father led the enemy, so he slew him once again. Then he killed his brother, Jaime, hacking at his face until it was a red ruin, laughing every time he struck a blow. Only when the fight was finished did he realize that his second head was weeping

As the book goes on, he stops even remembering he has to hate him.

The painted wooden armor clattered as Pretty trotted across the deck. Tyrion's armpits were prickly with perspiration, and a bead of sweat was trickling down his scar beneath the oversized, ill-fitting helm, yet for one absurd moment he felt almost like Jaime, riding out onto a tourney field with lance in hand, his golden armor flashing in the sun.

And we get confirmation he really misses Jaime.

Kem liked that. "Singer's stew. I'll ask for that next time I get back to Flea Bottom. What do you miss, Halfman?"

Jaime, thought Tyrion. Shae. Tysha. My wife, I miss my wife, the wife I hardly knew. "Wine, whores, and wealth," he answered. "Especially the wealth. Wealth will buy you wine and whores." It will also buy you swords, and the Kems to wield them.

Tyrion is a smart person. Jaime's betrayal stung but he will realise, and he already has subconsciously, that a lifetime of love and support from his brother, should not be erased by simply following his fathers orders on a matter he would not have realised would effect Tyrion so deeply at the time. There is also the fact that he confessed to Tyrion when he simply need to. I'm pretty confident about this.

16 hours ago, Makk said:

Well it is my own personal belief but why would I believe something if there was nothing in the text to support it?

Thanks for the response! I asked the question because on my current read of Dance I have been looking for some evidence and/or foreshadowing for a reconciliation between Jaime and Tyrion. I, like many others, hope it happens. However, Dance leaves me wondering if it will happen...

Tyrion pictured how his sister's head might look up there, with tar in her golden hair and flies buzzing in and out of her mouth. Yes, and Jaime must have the spike beside her, he decided. No one must ever come between my brother and my sister.

The lords of the Seven Kingdoms did make rather much of their sigils, Tyrion had to admit. "Very well," he conceded. "A Lannister is not a lion. Yet I am still my father's son, and Jaime and Cersei are mine to kill."

Oh, and my nephew Joffrey, I poisoned him at his wedding feast and watched him choke to death. Did the cheesemonger leave that part out? I mean to add my brother and sister to the list before I'm done, if it please your queen."

That night Tyrion Lannister dreamed of a battle that turned the hills of Westeros as red as blood. He was in the midst of it, dealing death with an axe as big as he was, fighting side by side with Barristan the Bold and Bittersteel as dragons wheeled across the sky above them. In the dream he had two heads, both noseless. His father led the enemy, so he slew him once again. Then he killed his brother, Jaime, hacking at his face until it was a red ruin, laughing every time he struck a blow. Only when the fight was finished did he realize that his second head was weeping.

This one is interesting because he was also weeping when he killed Shae...

His thoughts turned to Tysha, who had so briefly been his lady wife. It was Jaime, he thought, despairing. He was my own blood, my big strong brother. When I was small he brought me toys, barrel hoops and blocks and a carved wooden lion. He gave me my first pony and taught me how to ride him. When he said that he had bought you for me, I never doubted him. Why would I? He was Jaime, and you were just some girl who'd played a part. I had feared it from the start, from the moment you first smiled at me and let me touch your hand. My own father could not love me. Why would you if not for gold?

"I understand." He found himself thinking of Jaime. Count yourself lucky. Your brother died before he could betray you.

Even at the end of Dance Tyrion is still very angry with Jaime. I understand there are at least two more books for him to come around, but right it now it doesn't look good.

17 hours ago, Makk said:

The dark place he was in for the first half of ADWD was mainly because of Jaime's betrayal. But throughout the book he keeps thinking of Jaime in a good light...then remembers he is supposed to hate him.

Where does he think of Jaime in a good light? Your first quote only says "better to not think of Jaime". I wouldn't call this a positive light. The second quote is a dream of killing Jaime, certainly not positive. Yes, he is weeping, but as I mentioned above, he also weeps when he kills Shae.

17 hours ago, Makk said:

As the book goes on, he stops even remembering he has to hate him.

The painted wooden armor clattered as Pretty trotted across the deck. Tyrion's armpits were prickly with perspiration, and a bead of sweat was trickling down his scar beneath the oversized, ill-fitting helm, yet for one absurd moment he felt almost like Jaime, riding out onto a tourney field with lance in hand, his golden armor flashing in the sun.

Of course Tyrion would still associate riding in a joust with his brother. He was one of the best in the realm. IMO, this is not a point of Tyrion not hating Jaime anymore.

17 hours ago, Makk said:

And we get confirmation he really misses Jaime.

Kem liked that. "Singer's stew. I'll ask for that next time I get back to Flea Bottom. What do you miss, Halfman?"

Jaime, thought Tyrion. Shae. Tysha. My wife, I miss my wife, the wife I hardly knew. "Wine, whores, and wealth," he answered. "Especially the wealth. Wealth will buy you wine and whores." It will also buy you swords, and the Kems to wield them.

Notice Shae is listed there as well. This would seem to indicate that Tyrion is missing pre-betrayal Jaime, not current Jaime.

17 hours ago, Makk said:

Tyrion is a smart person. Jaime's betrayal stung but he will realise, and he already has subconsciously, that a lifetime of love and support from his brother, should not be erased by simply following his fathers orders on a matter he would not have realised would effect Tyrion so deeply at the time.

I disagree that he has already subconsciously realized this. I don't think we have quotes to support it. 

17 hours ago, Makk said:

There is also the fact that he confessed to Tyrion when he simply need to.

This could be argued as well, but that is for a different post. I don't think Jaime had to tell Tyrion about Tysha. What purpose did it serve, other than Jaime making a confession? But again, different post.

17 hours ago, Makk said:

I'm pretty confident about this.

I wish I shared your confidence. There are still two more books for Tyrion to change his mind (which I hope he does) but in the books we have right now I do not see it. 

To the OP: Sorry if this is a little off topic. To wrap it back around I will put in that I don't think we can take Tyrion off the table as a possibility to kill Jaime. There is certainly some quotes to show that it is not impossible. 

Archived