Question about Hound Sandor Clegane

Putin

4 hours ago, Putin said:

I am only asking for book versions not show versions.

1. Is there any evidence that he could cut man in the half ?

2. Was he considered fast for his size ?

1. A boy maybe but probably not a man in armor.

2) Both Sandor and Gregor were noted to be deceptively fast for their huge size.

Actually cutting a man in half, from the head to the crotch, was not that extraordinary a feat using Medieval weaponry.  John Keegan in his book "The Face of Battle"  describes an archaeological study of bodies in a mass grave from a Medieval Battle in IIRC, Sweden.  They unearthed several skeletons that had been cut in two.  Given that could the Cleganes do it as well?  I don't see why they, or other Westerosi Fighters couldn't.

6 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

1. A boy maybe but probably not a man in armor.

2) Both Sandor and Gregor were noted to be deceptively fast for their huge size.

I think Arya said something like she saw Hound cutting people in half

Sandor cut Beric Dondarion from shoulder to navel, and Dondarion was wearing a breastplate. And yes, according to Jaime Lannister, Sandor was extremely fast, and stronger than Jaime. Judging by their one contest, I think Sandor was faster and had better technique than his gigantic brother Gregor, even though not as strong.

4 hours ago, Putin said:

I think Arya said something like she saw Hound cutting people in half

I don't think she actually SAW this; Arya had been given a b***s*** story by Jeyne Poole that the Hound had not only cut Micah in half, he'd chopped him up into little meat parcels. Jeyne and Sansa prided themselves on being "The Mean Girlzz" back in those days.

Below is a description of Mycah’s wound as view by Eddard.

A Game of Thrones - Eddard III     Bending, Ned pulled back the cloak, dreading the words he would have to find for Arya, but it was not Nymeria after all. It was the butcher's boy, Mycah, his body covered in dried blood. He had been cut almost in half from shoulder to waist by some terrible blow struck from above.  "You rode him down," Ned said.

When Sandor is trying to bait Arya into killing him he says:

A Storm of Swords - Arya XIII    "Don't lie," he growled. "I hate liars. I hate gutless frauds even worse. Go on, do it." When Arya did not move, he said, "I killed your butcher's boy. I cut him near in half, and laughed about it after." He made a queer sound, and it took her a moment to realize he was sobbing. "

Beric had his squire remove his breastplate before battling Sandor. Beric, although mostly skin & bone almost put the Hound down.

A Storm of Swords - Arya VI    The quilting beneath was rotten with age and sweat, and fell away when the metal was pulled loose. Gendry sucked in his breath. "Mother have mercy."   Lord Beric's ribs were outlined starkly beneath his skin. A puckered crater scarred his breast just above his left nipple, and when he turned to call for sword and shield, Arya saw a matching scar upon his back. The lance went through him. <snip> Ned fetched Lord Beric his swordbelt and a long black surcoat. It was meant to be worn over armor, so it draped his body loosely, but across it crackled the forked purple lightning of his House.

Below is the description of the *** death blow delivered by the Hound.

A Storm of Swords - Arya VI    "Noooooo," Arya shrieked.. . . but the burning sword snapped in two, and the Hound's cold steel plowed into Lord Beric's flesh where his shoulder joined his neck and clove him clean down to the breastbone. The blood came rushing out in a hot black gush.

Going by those two incidents, I would say, no, Sandor could not cut a full grown healthy man wearing amour in half.  I’ll say maybe, if he had one of those Valyrian steel swords.

*** Beric was brought back to life by Thoros.

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Below is a description of Mycah’s wound as view by Eddard.

When Sandor is trying to bait Arya into killing him he says:

Beric had his squire remove his breastplate before battling Sandor. Beric, although mostly skin & bone almost put the Hound down.

Below is the description of the *** death blow delivered by the Hound.

Going by those two incidents, I would say, no, Sandor could not cut a full grown healthy man wearing amour in half.  I’ll say maybe, if he had one of those Valyrian steel swords.

*** Beric was brought back to life by Thoros.

Yeah thank you for clearing this. btw I never thought anyone could cut man with armour in half i was refering without armour.

Archived